1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 2 Diabetes Cookbooks/Diet Books?

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by FranOnTheEdge, Mar 8, 2016.

1. FranOnTheEdge

FranOnTheEdge Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi, I'm a recently diagnosed type 2 diabetic and I wondered does anyone have any books about Diabetes diet, cookbooks for type 2 diabetics, especially for type 2 diabetics who want to loose weight?
    Books that you think are good, books good for people in the UK - i.e. not full of American ingredients or American instructions like "use your oven broiler", which doesn't mean anything here in the UK.
    Books that are a help if you want to loose weight with Type 2?
    Anything helpful like that, I'd appreciate your opinions and advice.

2. Clivethedrive

Clivethedrive Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Trudi deakins Eat fat comes to mind........she has other good book s too

3. FranOnTheEdge

Thanks, I'll look that up.

• Like Like x 2
  4. ChristineMarshall

ChristineMarshall Type 2 · Newbie

I am also recently diagnosed. I am following a low GL diet so I am eating slow release food. Patrick holford has website with recipes on and meal p!banning. I am beginnings to realise that diabetes is all about challenging our organisation skills!

5. FranOnTheEdge

6. FranOnTheEdge

7. FranOnTheEdge

and maybe this one:
    The Everyday Diabetic Cookbook Paperback – 30 Sep 1995
    by Stella Bowling (Author)

These are just a few I've been looking at on Amazon...

8. FranOnTheEdge

Challenging is definitely the word! It's taken over my life so much that I don't have time for anything else anymore. I hate it.

9. catherinecherub

catherinecherub · Guest

10. There are a lot more people with diabetes in the USA than the UK so you may need to learn the lingo. Broiler = grill, for example. I would also recommend buying measuring cups as they are often used in US recipes. It makes life easier.

11. Scimama

Scimama Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Hi Fran

Have you got a meter to test how different foods affect you, we are all different so one persons perfect diet won't be any good at all for others.

When I was first diagnosed i borrowed "diabetic" cookbooks from the library, some of these contained recipes that were so high in carbohydrates and sugars from honey or maple syrup etc that I was in disbelief that they could be marketed as being for diabetics.

I found a couple that were OK, mainly based on a low carb eating plan such as atkins and rose elliots low carb vegetarian. As a veggie a lot of the atkins recipes were for ideas only.

I also looked at the many websites that are available, if I liked a recipe i would try it and test my BG(blood glucose) levels before and after, if I didn't spike I would copy the recipe into a word document so that now I have my own recipe book :) I like to alter recipes to suit myself (veggie and no sweetener etc).

Have a look at ewelina website diabeticgoodbaking and the recipe sections on this forum, there are some fantastic ideas on there.

OR ……. alter your favourite recipes to a low carb/sugar alternative, for example I used to love dauphinoise potatoes, I now make it with celeriac instead of potatoes

12. Scimama

Scimama Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook