Diabetes covered by the DDA

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
I do not know if the act differentiates between types but it does state that a disabled person is affected by physical or mental impairment which has a long term substantial adverse affect on their ability to carry out usual daily activities.

Now as to how that is interpreted, I would be guided by someone who was legally qualified to do so.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
I too would recommend you take advice, the CAB are a good place to start. The Act is a minefield for the unwary and even Solicitor's who should know about it have been caught out. Expert advice is a must.

The DDA has now been replaced by The DEA (Disability and Equality Act 2010. See below.

Disability and the Equality Act 2010 From 1 October 2010, the Equality Act replaced most of the Disability Discrimination Act (DDA). However, the Disability Equality Duty in the DDA continues to apply. In the Act, a person has a disability if:

• they have a physical or mental impairment
• the impairment has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on their ability to perform normal day-to-day activities

For the purposes of the Act, these words have the following meanings:

• 'substantial' means more than minor or trivial
• 'long-term' means that the effect of the impairment has lasted or is likely to last for at least twelve months (there are special rules covering recurring or fluctuating conditions)
• 'normal day-to-day activities' include everyday things like eating, washing, walking and going shopping

People who have had a disability in the past that meets this definition are also protected by the Act.

A link to the Directgov website where you can read all about it.......and get a headache. :(

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeo ... DG_4001068