Based on the type of diabetic you are please choose one of the following

• Total voters

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
It would be interesting to get the forum memberships views on dietary regimes so here is a simple question for people to answer if they wish to join in.

Question

Have you found that notably reducing the amount of rice, pasta, potatoes, cereals, and other flour-based foods that you eat has helped with your diabetes control?

Helping with your diabetes control means one or more of the following things.

1) It significantly lowered your hBA1c
2) It helped you lose weight.
3) It minimise
s or has reduced the medication you need to take.
4) It reduced the amount of insulin you use.
5) It significantly reduced the frequency of hypos.
6) It has controlled or even reversed diabetic complications you were suffering.

Please answer the simple POLL question first using the tool shown at the TOP of the thread.

If you want to expand on the polls simple yes or no answer by for example commenting on each of the 6 points that have been listed then please make additional posts on the thread.

If you have been kind enough to answer this question perhaps you would like to answer this one as well :)

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/diabetes-advice-question.54422/

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
2) It helped you lose weight.
3) It minimise
4) It reduced the amount of insulin you use.
6) It has controlled or even reversed diabetic complications you were suffering.

1) Yes,in conjunction with a low dose of basal insulin I have significantly reduced my HbA1c from diagnosis.
2) Yes-I am approx 70 pounds lighter than I was at the beginning of 2012
3)Yes-By following a low carb diet I am able to control my type 1.5 diabetes without a bolus insulin at present(Basal only)
4)Yes (as in my answer to question 3)
5)Less carbs=less insulin required for me and no wild swings in blood glucose levels so even though I have the odd 'Lower' reading-I don't experience hypo's.
6)Yes-in the context of my eGFR levels have improved on my dietary regime and I don't often suffer with the boils,abcesses and thrush that once plagued my life.

Garr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A wee bit of a loaded question for T1s, if we reduce carbs then we reduce insulin, so it only leaves one possible answer.

Reactions: 2 people

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
A wee bit of a loaded question for T1s, if we reduce carbs then we reduce insulin, so it only leaves one possible answer.

Being T2 myself I did take more than four experienced insulin users opinions on how best to frame the list of helpful things. I also took the opinion of more than four experienced T2's as well. I suppose anything like this which involves T1 & T2 is going to end up a bit of a compromise but the intent is to be neutral.

Reactions: 3 people

Garr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Reducing carbs has definitely helped in lowering my insulin intake, but I think regular exercise has improved my weight, HbA1c and insulin sensitivity more.

Reactions: 3 people

kesun

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't fit into either type, but I've answered as T1 - 1.5, since what I have is insufficient insulin production (like T1) but caused by a genetic defect rather than auto-immune, and unlike T2 I don't have insulin resistance.

: Yes - down to normal range - even according to Bernstein's definition of "normal" bloods
2) It helped you lose weight.No, but I didn't need to. I like to think it's prevented middle-age spread
3) It minimises or has reduced the medication you need to take.N/A: my diabetes isn't treatable with medicine
4) It reduced the amount of insulin you use. Yes indeed. I came off insulin completely
5) It significantly reduced the frequency of hypos. No more insulin = no more hypos :)
6) It has controlled or even reversed diabetic complications you were suffering. N/A - I don't yet have complications

Kate

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Question 1

Have you found that notably reducing the amount of rice, pasta, potatoes, cereals, and other flour-based foods that you eat has helped with your diabetes control?

1) It significantly lowered your hBA1c Yes
2) It helped you lose weight. Yes
3) It minimise
s or has reduced the medication you need to take. Yes
4) It reduced the amount of insulin you use. Yes in that I quickly kicked the insulin habit!
5) It significantly reduced the frequency of hypos. Yes
6) It has controlled or even reversed diabetic complications you were suffering.Haven't got any Yet

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
It's a partial yes, as reducing the amount of all my food, shedding 4 stone, taking up exercise, reducing alcohol, all combined to give a positive result.

equipoise

1) It significantly lowered your hBA1c YES
2) It helped you lose weight. YES
3) It minimise
s or has reduced the medication you need to take. YES
4) It reduced the amount of insulin you use. N/A

Not only did this have the biggest impact, but it was the point least emphasized by HCPs.

Pez68

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Arrogant people
It would be interesting to get the forum memberships views on dietary regimes so here is a simple question for people to answer if they wish to join in.

Question

1) It significantly lowered your hBA1c def yes, within 3 months hba1c 30 new money
2) It helped you lose weight. 6 stone in total another def YES
3) It minimise
s or has reduced the medication you need to take. Yet another def YES, stopped all meds December 2013.
4) It reduced the amount of insulin you use. N/a
5) It significantly reduced the frequency of hypos. N/a
6) It has controlled or even reversed diabetic complications you were suffering. Controlled diet and excersicing.

Please answer the simple POLL question first using the tool shown at the TOP of the thread.

If you want to expand on the polls simple yes or no answer by for example commenting on each of the 6 points that have been listed then please make additional posts on the thread.

If you have been kind enough to answer this question perhaps you would like to answer this one as well :)

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/diabetes-advice-question.54422/

Thanks

tonyS54

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A resounding yes from me

1) It significantly lowered your hBA1c Yes
3) It minimise
s or has reduced the medication you need to take. Yes
4) It reduced the amount of insulin you use.N/A
5) It significantly reduced the frequency of hypos.N/A
6) It has controlled or even reversed diabetic complications you were suffering.N/A

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
1) Yes. 10.2% to 5.2% in a few weeks. In the past 2.5 years it has been 5% or less.
2) Yes. 60lbs weight loss, maintained for 2.5 years
3) Yes. I was on metformin at diagnosis. I no longer take any medication
4) N/A
5) N/A
6) Yes. Neuropathy, fatty liver disease, chronic thrush all reversed.

Because it introduced my to Low-Carb, T2D is one of the best things that ever happened to me, and probably saved my life.

Reactions: 6 people

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

Sorry if it seems loaded - as Steve said, it was difficult to word a question that would enable everybody to participate.

Smidge

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Noticed if you are using the App to post you don't get to see the poll at the top of the thread. If you use your browser on your phone or pad you should be able to vote if you want to.

Last edited by a moderator:

chris9996

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Vegetables
1) It significantly lowered your hBA1c Yes from over 20 to 4-9
3) It minimise
4) It reduced the amount of insulin you use. Reduced Insulin from 105 units twice daily to now 50 units twice daily
5) It significantly reduced the frequency of hypos. No, am still suffering them quite regularly as my weight drops and insulin is adjusted
6) It has controlled or even reversed diabetic complications you were suffering haven't seen any reversals yet.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
1) It significantly lowered your hBA1c Yes from 8.2 to5.2
2) It helped you lose weight. No
3) It minimise
s or has reduced the medication you need to take. N/a
4) It reduced the amount of insulin you use.N/a
5) It significantly reduced the frequency of hypos.N/a
6) It has controlled or even reversed diabetic complications you were suffering. Yes, blurred vision and fatty liver gone