1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Diabetes Distress article and measuring scales

Discussion in 'Emotional and Mental Health' started by Alexandra100, Jan 14, 2019.

1. Alexandra100

Alexandra100 Prefer not to say · Well-Known Member

https://forum.tudiabetes.org/t/what-is-diabetes-distress/75183

PS I have now completed the form to get a Diabetes Distress Score. This is free of charge.There is a suggestion in the preceding sections that you have to pay for it, but this is not the case. Your score is not saved after you leave the site, but you can print it off and it is suggested that if you get a high score you try it again in a few weeks.

• Useful Useful x 1
    #1 Alexandra100, Jan 14, 2019 at 3:22 PM
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  2. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

After doing the test does the piece offer advice or guidance on how to cope with DD? I did not do the test as I do not feel that I need yet another number to focus on and frankly I have no need of a scale that informs me that I am worried/stressed/depressed about aspects of my condition - I am aware of these feelings anyway.

3. Alexandra100

It offers brief guidance. Perhaps it would be most valuable for someone who was in denial as to how distressed they were. Or, in the case of repeat tests, the feedback might be good for someone who had resolved to take action to reduce their distress. I just love doing this kind of thing, it cheers me up.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

No doubt it might be useful to some people. Not me, if just one more person tells me that Mindfulness would bring serentity I shall scream. I'm not sure that someone in true denial would be searching out such info and as for stress, arn't we hard wired for that? I have found that talking with people who totally get what it is like to get the news, provide information and support if things wobble and who are genuinely pleased when things go well for others in the same position has a value beyond measure (yes, even with a scale). Hence the value that I place on this forum and others like it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Expert
    Staff Member Administrator

I doubt those in denial would do the "quiz"

6. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

I never did a distress quiz for a COPD (emphysema), or AFib, so should I do this one as I would hate to be anxious / distressed about anything.

7. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

It appears I have little or no distress. I knew that anyway. I was just curious.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

Thanks @Alexandra100 for posting, I did do the test and but I knew roughly what the outcome would be, but it was good to do it.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hello @Alexandra100 As you have not been given a Diabetes diagnosis or even a type 1 diagnosis I am curious to ask why you feel it necessary to complete this ?

10. Alexandra100

Hello Juicy, sorry, but I haven't time or energy to reply fully to your query right now. Can we leave it for the moment that although I don't meet your criteria for pre-diabetes or full diabetes, I do indeed, however misguidedly, suffer from diabetes distress.

11. Alexandra100

Me too, but anyone can sure fire get my goat even worse by exhorting me to keep a "gratefulness" diary. Be re-assured, no recommendations here to mindfulness but rather one to seek out more sympathetic people who understand about diabetes. Unfortunately they didn't link to this Forum (or to any diabetic focussed organisation).

• Hug Hug x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook