Diabetes education

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
I have a thread running regarding diabetes and family. But, although I'm not a diabetes genius and have just come back to forum afrer a considerable break - really surprised at some of the comments on here by sufferers and thinking it is not surprising the non diabetes sufferers haven't got a clue as many suffers don't either. I do not mean that to be supercilious. This is a place to ask questions and learn but, some answers are very ill informed.

Secondly, the information on diabetes is available freely on here, at diabetes.org if users make it this far why can't they find out about what diabetes is, symptom, effects etc? I know it is complicated and affects different people in different ways. I have been diagnosed since 2007 and still find it difficult, but I do try - if unsure - research, at least try to understand what the disease is and maybe we pass that info on to Joe Public. Whatever type you have - please :)

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have a thread running regarding diabetes and family. But, although I'm not a diabetes genius and have just come back to forum afrer a considerable break - really surprised at some of the comments on here by sufferers and thinking it is not surprising the non diabetes sufferers haven't got a clue as many suffers don't either. I do not mean that to be supercilious. This is a place to ask questions and learn but, some answers are very ill informed.

Secondly, the information on diabetes is available freely on here, at diabetes.org if users make it this far why can't they find out about what diabetes is, symptom, effects etc? I know it is complicated and affects different people in different ways. I have been diagnosed since 2007 and still find it difficult, but I do try - if unsure - research, at least try to understand what the disease is and maybe we pass that info on to Joe Public. Whatever type you have - please :)
I totally agree with the sentiment that you do need to learn about which ever condition you have. I have often answered a thread with that recommendation.
However some newbies asking advice are unaware of the wealth of information on this site and need reassurance or just the basics of getting them started.
Most of the questions are on diet or what should you eat to get your BSLs down! The information given by most experienced low carbers are mostly cutting out the carbs and sugars and what they to balance that. Those like myself always balance the answer by making sure that the individual knows that everybody is different and they should discover there own personal requirements. There are some very knowledgable diabetics on this site and they have voluntarily give advice, let's not dampen that enthusiasm for the want of correct information. But, let's all learn more please!

Neo88

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Everybody benefits from hearing personal experiences as well as medical information. Diabetes is a disease where a one drug, one diet, certain amount of exercise per day simply does not work. How can we expect family and friends to understand when researchers and medical professionals, equally, do not fully understand, and can be guilty of giving of giving duff advice (e.g Type 2's should eat plenty of carbs!). It is up to us as individuals to try and find what works for us and then report that to the people trying to support us, including our medical care team. Does it really matter who told us? The Diabetes UK website is a fantastic resource, but on a personal level, many people may find the information unhelpful! E.g Diet and recipe sections.
Neo88

Reactions: 3 people

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
[ This is a place to ask questions and learn but, some answers are very ill informed. /QUOTE]

My observation is that many of those who appear ill informed are - because they have been given inaccurate or not enough information from diagnosis onwards. Also there is so much information online and by personal posts, that often conflicts so people get confused .In relation to that it's human nature for some when confronted by information that is outside their comfort zone, to opt for information that is. So if they are told to eat pasta bread and other starchy carbs by a HCP and are fearful of changing their diet, they can justify their choices by rationalising that the carb advice came from a medically qualified person not a stranger on the internet :rolleyes: Plus, there is always some lucky ones who can follow that advice and get away with it , so wonder why others insist on self denial ;)

This forum is the same as anywhere in which a number of people make a contribution, different levels of experience, personality and diabetes, all of whom cope in different ways to different approaches and all started with the desire to know more about their condition ( or else they wouldn't be here in the first place )

BTW, I read your thread on Family and Diabetes, and want to say you have my sympathy, yours is a hard road and I can only imagine the stress you must be under. I hope that you get the support you need and the strength to see it through.

Signy

Reactions: 6 people

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
Agree with all replies but some people answering with 'bad' advice, this happened to me. Also, there is a post about muscle and leg weakness. Reply was that they didn't think there was ca correlation between that and db. Surely that is incorrect. Not my place to correct I just advised the person with query get more info.

HpprKM

Dislikes
Signy - thanks for supportive words. Also had to go abroad in May when bipolar son and his little family hit crisis level. Hubbies family kmow none of this. More to all of this than wish to discuss in public.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm surprised at your comment that some of the answers are very ill informed. I've been on this forum for several years and in my opinion the standard of comment from a wide range of posters is very high. This and one or two other forums and sources provide a very good source of information and guidance. It may even have been me who replied about the muscle and leg weakness; can't remember! Quite a few people come to this site not surprisingly in an emotional state and it is important not to send them away believing that magic crystals will cure them. I believe it is important to focus in on the key issues. Many will have come from GPs/DNs having been offered very little information and left adrift. We can and do provide for many some context for their condition and the way forward. I have seen very little conflicting advice particularly over the last year or so. Where else can people go to get more information? Some GPs and DNs are excellent including my DN but previous GPs have been poor. I'm a member of DUK but find their advice quite limited at times and constrained by establishment views. You will find very limited recognition, for example, about late onset T1 in the 'established' support areas and then there is the dreadful advice given to many to eat plenty of carbs.

Reactions: 10 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I think we all have benefited from the information given out on this forum, it' can be a lonely dark place when your newly diagnosed and I only wish the internet was around when I was first diagnosed.

As for the ill-informed answers, if you think someone is giving out bad advice then just report the post for the Mod/Admin team to look over. I think for most of us we reply to posts with the best intentions and we may not always get it right, anyone coming to a forum such as this should already know that we are not experts and can only speak from our own experiences of living with diabetes.

Reactions: 14 people
K

Kat100

There will always be new research old research , media news , different views attitudes and beliefs ...
I think giving a balanced answer is fine , support is excellent ...
We should remember though that most of our experiences are all individual ...this includes diet etc , all personal choice

Not one size fits all ...enabling people to make informed choices by sharing and caring ...well that is considerate ...

If readers think the posts are silly or wrong , they can question. Seek,further clarity , or more of a wise thing to,do , ignore ...
People have choices , to consider the positive and negative aspects of what they read, and that is not just limited to forums ...

Goodness it can all be so conflicting at times ....I think I may need ongoing help ...not sure that that need ever goes away ...

Reactions: 7 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I think the information is ill informed only if you don't agree with it.
To the person that posted it, it would seem they have been helped by it.

Everyone needs to decide how they will live with their own diabetes.

Reactions: 11 people

HpprKM

Dislikes
Sorry if you don't agree I am just speaking of a few I have seen. Please do not misinterpret as I know there are many, many well informed people here, that's why I come here. No offence meant. My point was just reiterating need to keep enforcing diabetes understanding. As I know many of you do.

HpprKM

Dislikes
Yes it is personal on hiw to live own own diabetes, but I speak from a comment on my own post.

HpprKM

Dislikes
I cannot quote as writer may see it.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I think you have to balance your leg n muscle fatigue with what a non diabetic could feel. Just because your companions didn't feel the same dorsn't mean to say that another non diabetic wouldn't have felt the same. It may well be that only 1 in 10 or 1999 may feel that leg symptom.... But it does not mean its necessarily diabetes related.

Your response was that you only take diabetic meds.. However statins are now trying to be pushed as standard for certain age groups.... So there is no such thing as normal diabetic meds.. As they all can have varying different side effects...

In answer to rest of posting... There is huge advice here.... I personally realused there was a problem with a pump accessory 4 years ago and posted about my experiences... Before the product was withdrawn worldwide..... It was my experience.. Admittedly not advice... But it may have gelped others to realise that items of defect should be reported... If that just raised awareness for 1 person I would be happy.

You got to think 'outside' of your own specific needs for using this site.

The forum is just a forum... Not medical supposed experts... But medically knowledged with our experiences.

Its about making friends as well. I have made some wonderful friends here who I have met in person, telephoned, emailed or texted.

Who know's what bad advice is in medicine?none of us.. Look at the advice we got from Edwina Curry on eggs all those years ago.... Medicine is still in infancy.. 50 years or 100 years some things may be proved 100% (unlikely in my way of thinking due to corrupt people in business, pharmaceuticals and politicians-but that my opinion only). Until then this is in my way of thinking one of the best places for informed, experience of a critical illness.

Reactions: 10 people

HpprKM

Dislikes
As I said - no offence meant. I am trying to say that it well documented that many people do not understand diabetes and do not bother to find.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
As I said - no offence meant. I am trying to say that it well documented that many people do not understand diabetes and do not bother to find.

I've just had a quick look at your threads.

Everything is open to interpretation by the observer.

I've posted my experience of pain in my foot.
Obviously, I'm diabetic, so neuropathology is my first thought.
Then, as I'm sitting in my car, in traffic, I realise, I'm pressing the clutch up and down, using just my toes.
I move to the ball of my foot, and my problems disappear.

Mindfulness.
I scuba dive.
It's mindfulness at the extreme.
Diabetic or not, anyone would be moved by the experiece.

But you are right, when you say, if people aren't ill, they won't bother to find out about those that are.
I wouldn't, I only know about diabetes because it affects me directly.

Reactions: 2 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
high BG gave me muscle weakness before diagnosis, leg cramps seemed to come from my body adjusting to new LC diet, medication etc, , lack of salts from the body flushing excess fulids

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
I think the information is ill informed only if you don't agree with it.
To the person that posted it, it would seem they have been helped by it.

Agree! @douglas99 wouldn't touch my LCHF diet with a barge pole could I adapt to his carby ways but both of us have had success so I generally tag him when giving advice as an alternative way of dealing with the situation. Although he has lost more weight than me so I'm jealous! ;)

Everyone needs to decide how they will live with their own diabetes.
Sorry if you don't agree I am just speaking of a few I have seen. Please do not misinterpret as I know there are many, many well informed people here, that's why I come here. No offence meant. My point was just reiterating need to keep enforcing diabetes understanding. As I know many of you do.
Surely you mean us not you. Or do you not give advice?;)

C

catherinecherub

I find your post very difficult to understand.
People give their time freely on here and try and help others. Are you suggesting that answers need to be policed to make sure that they agree with your way of thinking?

There are rules regarding posts and if you disagree with a poster then why not state your case as suggested here, in the rules.
• Come here with an open mind, read the posts. If you don’t agree with something then ignore it or ask constructive questions. Do not disparage because it is not your opinion or way of doing things. If you find an error then correct it constructively. State your source for the correction so there is no doubt about it.

If your post refers to dietary suggestions then you will surely understand that people adapt a diet to suit them and their meter rather than being expected to follow other people and their menus. We all have likes and dislikes and some have other medical conditions that prohibit certain foods.

I think newbies who are asking questions get a good deal because people always answer with their experiences or a link to a possible answer.

Reactions: 6 people

Scardoc

The bottom line is that this is a forum and not a medical consultation. If anyone wants one of them then I, for one, would highly recommend that you go see someone with a medical degree on their wall and "Dr." before their surname.

To me, the forum is like Google but with a personality. You type a question and any number of different sources will give you an answer. Some may be bang on, some may be complete rubbish and, very much like Google, some will make you wish you hadn't bothered in the first place and have you running the see Dr. [insert surname here] like you should done from the beginning.

noun: forum;
  1. a meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.