Diabetes & healing.

grh1904

Just wondering if some of the peeps on here can help with or have experience with the fact that diabetics take longer to heal than "normal" people.

I had an accident at work on 15th March this year resulting a double displaced fracture of my left ankle, it's the Fib & Tib. I was in hospital for a week before being operated on on Mon 21st March wher I had an internal fixation of the lateral malleolus (that's a pin & plate in laymans terms!!!!). The consultant was going to also pin the medial malleolus but as it went straight back into place following the fixation of the lateral he decided leave it as is.

I was put into plaster which was then changed to a light weight one on the Wednesday before being discharged. I was told by the consultant that he usually keeps patients in plaster for about 6 weeks or so but as I was diabetic he was going to keep me in plaster for 8 weeks. I returned to hospital on 5th April to have the plaster removed, stitches removed & a new plaster put on.

My 8 weeks total in plaster ended earflier this week & I was at hospital on Tuesday for plaster off, x-rays & hopefully getting started on physio etc. I was quite upset to find that I'm still in plaster & will be for another 2 weeks.

The doc I saw was unhappy with the lack of new bone growth on the medial & I could see the crack/fracture very clearly on the x-ray. I'm back in plaster to see if new bone will grow sufficiently in the next 2 weeks, otherwise it may well be back into hospital for a second op to pin the medial.

I was wondering, is this a complication of diabetes????

Also, while I do try to eat a balanced diet etc, I've done a DAFNE course so I do tend to go "oohh cake/biscuits" etc and eat more or less what I want, when I want. Please don't take that as I eat unhealthily & over weight etc, prior to this injury I was running 4 or 5 times per week doing 6 miles at a time. What I mean is that when at work & there's choccy hob-nobs doing the rounds with a cup of tea I can join in, or when someone brings in doughnuts cos it's a birthday or their phone went off in the middle of a briefing I have one & just slip off the loo to have a couple of units of Novorapid.

We don't usually buy many biscuits/cakes etc for home, but as all I've been able to do for weeks is just sit here we have bought more so that most days I have some biccies with my cuppa. Also while I do like a drink now & again it was in moderation but I have noticed a bit of an increase in my alcohol consumption, especially as my mobility has increased through crutches & now walking (wearing a special shoe given by the hospital) & I hobble up to the pub in the village a couple of times a week, just so I can get out the house I suppose.

While I don't see any of the above hindering any bone growth, I was wondering if I altered my diet to that of uber healthy and drank a pint of milk a day etc, would I boost bone growth. I do eat veggies a couple of times a week with my meals I was wondering if I made sure that lots of healthy veggies & salad were eaten every day, drank lots of milk, took some vitamin & calcium supplements, could I in the next 10 days give myself a helping hand????

For those of you who are still awake I apologise for the length of the post......... :lol: :lol:

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
If you are having problems with bone growth, then your suggestions sound reasonable.

From what you say it sounds as though you may benefit from extra dairy and raw and fresh veggies.

Did you discuss ways to improve healing with your consultant?

Perhaps you could get to talk to a dietician at your surgery?

I would respectfully suggest that if a change in diet dramatically improves your healing capability then you should consider making the change permanent :)

Cheers

LGC

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Sounds like your having a rough time of late! :(

Diabetes does slow down the healing process and those who have unstable control are said to heal much slower than those who have much tighter control, I would resist the temptation to eat biscuits and just have one as a occasional treat, I find having something sweet easier to manage when eaten after a main meal as it's less likely to spike but you'll still need to cover with insulin.

Good luck and I hope your recovery speeds up! :)

Nigel

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Diabetes does slow down the healing process and those who have unstable control are said to heal much slower than those who have much tighter control,
True and keeping your diabetes under control is vital , and eating a good diet is also important to give yourself the best possible conditions for healing. Nevertheless, non/slow healing fractures also occur in people without diabetes. It happened to my daughter when she was 10 and most definitely non diabetic., a very active normal healthy child We never did get told why and I asked fewer questions in those days.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I am diabetic and 'normal'.