1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Diabetes in Films and on TV

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by insulinaddict, Jul 10, 2014.

1. insulinaddict

insulinaddict Type 1 · Active Member

Hi, I'm really interested in watching any films or TV episodes that feature Type 1 Diabetes. Please post them below if you know of any! I've found lists of films online that feature Type 1 Diabetics but thought it would be handy asking in case somebody remembers a certain episode of a show or series that features Diabetes. Many thanks! Really interested in watching some. :)

2. insulinaddict

insulinaddict Type 1 · Active Member

Would also like to post a quick message to say a massive THANKYOU for everyone's replies on my last thread. The responses truly were overwhelming. Thankyou! x

• Like Like x 3
  3. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

There was a film with Jody Foster whereby she and her daughter had to lock themselves in a safe room when the house was being burgled, can't think what they called it but her daughter had type 1 diabetes in the film.

The following is a light-hearted look at the type 1 diabetes from a female perspective:

• Like Like x 4
  4. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Good old Google, the film was called Panic Room.

5. byte83

byte83 Type 1 · Active Member

There is an episode of NCIS that has it in. It's the one where the witness is a blind photographer. Also a episode csi Miami mentions it as well.

6. dtennant9

dtennant9 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I know its not TV or Film as you'd asked but one of the characters in some of Karin Slaughter's books is a type 1 diabetic.
    I've only read one of her books but it seemed to portray it fairly well.
    I did read the book when I was in hospital in the process of being diagnosed with Type 1 so had a limited knowledge of it at that time.

7. Squire Fulwood

Squire Fulwood Type 2 · Expert

A film called The Experiment. I don't want to spoil it by telling you how it ended but the diabetic died.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

THE WITCHES, ( children's film) the grandmother was diagnosed with Type 2, good film, but inaccurate medical information imo.

9. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

The film Species. The diabetic guy gets brutally murdered by the alien hybrid after she picks him up in a club.
    The film Warlock. There is a main charactor who's diabetic. I won't spoil it for you, but she saves the world.
    The movie Con Air. There is a T1 who needs insulin.. Funny enough the hero happens to find a supply in an aircraft hanger??

None of the above were particularly sensitive to the medical facts..

10. czj

czj Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Body of Proof, an American crime series. Megan Hunt, the medical examiner, has a teenage daughter Lacey who is diagnosed T1. A small part so not critical to the story, but handled OK I thought.

11. babyboscher

babyboscher Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Agree! CSI Miami has it where the taxi driver was diabetic and was suffering DKA. I love CSI and so exciting watching an episode with diabetes related!! :D

12. Thundercat

Thundercat · Well-Known Member

13. AlexMBrennan

AlexMBrennan Type 1 · Well-Known Member

14. PollyC

PollyC Type 1 · Member

Steel Magnolias with Julia Roberts

15. kkkk

kkkk Type 1 · Well-Known Member

NobleHead - super video - made me laugh :)

I only thought Steel Magnolias - which is a bit depressing! I'm never that impressed with the way diabetics are portrayed on TV - stuff always gets lost in the wash if you get what I mean and the world is so straightforward take insulin and ta-dah they are fine (whereas the Utube video is more like it :) you don't see any of that on TV - especially on medical dramas! - but then maybe I've missed some really good portrayals :) )

• Like Like x 2
  16. Mrsass

Mrsass Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I was also going to say steel magnolis with Julia Roberts, I seen it when I was young I can't remember anything about it but I remember me mam going mad id watched it when she told me not to cos I don't think it's too nice. Emmerdale has a character that is diabetic but they only seen to mention it once in a blue moon n I find myself watching it saying whys she eating that when she hasn't tested her blood, look at all that alcohol she's drinking her readings must be shocking I agree with someone above that said they don't think film& tv portray it very good at all. I saw a Jim Carey film the other day (can't remember the name) and he wasn't diabetic but injected insulin to escape being arrested or something and started foaming at the mouth

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

17. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

There was a scene in "Porkys" where one of the guys being drunk & under age jabbering face down on the bar attracts the attention of a local county police officer... His mates thinking on their feet, lie telling the copper he's "a little diabetic. & just needs sugar"...

18. Giverny

Giverny Friend · Admin
    Administrator

Was panic room the one where they tried to inject insulin while someone was having a hypo?

19. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Yes it was, they got it all wrong and I think the pen was meant to be glucagon injection :rolleyes:

20. User4

User4 Type 1 · Member

I saw that (emmerdale) today, she was going on a picnic with her new boyfriend. In a later scene she was crying to her friend that everything was fine until he got the cakes out. Apparently she hasn't told him that dark dirty secret.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook