Diabetes is taking over my life

Shell1

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Just need to have a good moan .spent most of last night up and crying. 2 weeks now my daughters bloods have been all over the place i feel so selfish saying this but i feel diabetes is taking over my life from being up hourly to treat high bloods to phone calls at work i cant breath finally straw is kids both fighting while im tryin to have half hour bath and chloes cannulas has just been ripped out !i no its not me who has this illness but im so tired and down im finding it too hard to cope with at the moment and no one understands me i just look selfish

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Oh Shell....it will get easier ...promise..ring me and have a chat.. You have my details....
U r not alone feeeling like this.. It is bloody tough for parents.

Reactions: 2 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You are not being selfish. You are the parent, you are the carer. Until Chloe is old enough to manage this for herself, in some real sense diabetes IS your disease.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
U r not selfish.. Just a **** caring parent.... Its so **** tough on you...

Don't strughle through this... Your daughter is in early days with diabetes and pump.. So it is effectively doubly hard.

Honest Shell, its not easy but you are not alone.... It is hard for parents but it does get easier.

I know you are so worried from previous posts about high's and the worry it causes you for your daughters future.

You do not need to worry yourself stupid over this time period but you need support through this. Everybody here will so want to support you. We are glad you are writing your frustrations..... But I really do promise you... It is going to get better and easier...

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
It does do that but your daughter will appreciate it when she's older. What's the alternative? Keep going and keep posting! This forum has given me my sanity! Big hugx

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You're not selfish, Shell, you're exhausted! Right now, because of your exhaustion, everything is getting you down. Looking after kids is very demanding - without adding in the extra strain of your worry about your daughter's diabetes and the feeling that you can't rest or let up on the hard work - plus, you are telling yourself you're being selfish, which, as everyone else can see, is obviously not true. You need some TLC yourself. Look after yourself really well and encourage your kids to look after each other and you too!

There are lots of people on the forum who have been in similar situations, who understand, and who will listen whenever things get a bit too much. ;):)

Shell1

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you all very much i feel so much better just talking on here where people get it .my friends family school just have no idea how high matienace this is and how easy it is to blame yourself when you cant get your childs bloods stable .thanks for listening xx

iHs

Pumps are very challenging for the first 12 months.....I had loads of times when I didnt get a great deal of sleep and was really thankful that I didnt have a job..... does it get better? Well over time and not being too anal about control....there are ways of cheating a bit with a pump....tbr can sometimes save the day for a little while but once you can study form....you can then work out which hourly basals need changing and only do one or two tests jnstead of loads

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you all very much i feel so much better just talking on here where people get it .my friends family school just have no idea how high matienace this is and how easy it is to blame yourself when you cant get your childs bloods stable .thanks for listening xx

Glad you are feeling a bit better. Unless people have diabetes or care for someone who does then they have no idea the effort that goes into it. Most people just think if you take a bit if insulin you will be fine. Pumps are frustrating at first but it will get better and easier, unfortunately it just takes a little time.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Oh Shell, what a wonderful mum you are, you deeply care and that is so important, don't be so hard on yourself though, when it gets hard try some deep breaths and remember the high readings are not your fault.

I was thinking of doing a parachute jump for JDRF and understanding what you are going through is making me I need to do this !

Beth_Robinson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Pumps are initially difficult, but it does get better! as a young t1 sufferer, I can understand how hard it must me, but I am grateful to my parents for the effort they put in - whilst it may be really difficult at first, even after a few months it will definatly be worth it and will be a massive stress reducer in the future

Reactions: 4 people