Diabetes/mental illness

Beth_Robinson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Any tips on coping with diabetes and mental illness? currently under investigation for a multitude of mental illnesses which sucks big time; but another side issue is that i have no motivation to get out of bed, let alone check bloodsugars.... I don't think i've checked in like 2 weeks; I know my own body well enough to stop me going too high or low as I've been diagnosed since I was three; but this obviously isn't healthy... so any tips on coping would be great, thank you

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've got both, so I guess I can add my tuppence, you're a teen, you are supposed to have mood swings, but sometimes they can swing too far and I hope it's sorted soon for you.
just hit the next person who asks,,'and how does that make you feel' and you will feel a lot better :)
see if you can BGT in the morning, it will double check how your basal is going, the teen hormone rush throws a spanner in the works, that was the very steady rate that your mum had to do and can't understand why you are having trouble

Last edited by a moderator:

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Meditation - try and find a regular group to meet with and practise Mindfulness meditation, this gave me a new lease of life when I most needed it.

Otherwise it's medication and that's not a good solution for tackling the issue, just dresses it up and helps you get on with it, which at your age isn't the best way forward.

If you can't find a group to meditate with look it up on youtube and set aside 15 minutes a day ;)