Diabetes Petition

baby_angel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

I was sent this link to a petition asking the Prime Minister to divert funding to find a cure for Diabetes, and i thought it might interest some of you.

I've posted the link below :)

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/diabetescure/

Many Thanks,

Baby_Angel xxx

ham79

Dislikes
diabetes and cbeebies
done and passed on to everyone I know to pass on to everyone they know. well done for finding it :D

FordPrefect

I'm sorry I actually don't agree here. There is no immediate danger to the vast majority of diabetics if they control their condition. I know that insulin and the complications of diabetes aren't fun suffering from some of them myself. However the only people that die of diabetes currently are mainly those that don't manage there condition, the condition is manageable. There are a whole host of other diseases that are pretty much fatal and for me I'd rather see more government money pushed in that direction. Also diabetes compared to a lot of other conditions is relatively common hence there is a lot of commercial money being spent on R & D and due to the higher profile it enjoys because of the sheer number of sufferers there is a lot of charity money too. All this to me means the government would be better spending what limited money it has on other diseases that might not be so common but aren't manageable or into more general basic research such as more research on autoimmune diseases as a whole rather than piecemeal per illness research.

Just my opinion, but like every other diabetic I would like a full time cure for all diabetics I just feel there are alternative sources for a relatively common disease like diabetes that enjoys such a high profile, and that is manageable.

Sa1adcream

People die because of bad management.
Diabetes is a managable condition.
Therefore people shouldn't die from Diabetes.

People do die. Your logic is flawed.

In any case, why should diabetics have to 'put up' with their condition when people with other long term conditions don't? They don't pay for ways to keep people with cancer alive with the condtion, they pay for the cure.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ok as an adult onset type 2, perhaps it doesn't seem so important to find a cure, nor perhaps for me as an adult onset type 1 but I think you would feel very differently if you were the parent of a child with diabetes, or a young person themselves.It may be that perhaps the petition is worded too loosely just saying 'diabetes', but certainly I think government money would be well spent on research into a cure for type 1. It's perhaps not surprising that on a recent type 1 thread asking whether a person would rather be cured or have a million pounds, the younger people wanted a cure.

A young child diagnosed with type 1, using present day technology,will have to inject 1500 times a year, test at least 2000+ times a year, look at every meal and calculate its carb content, think twice before they exercise,have the anxieties associated with hypos (only this week I read of a distressed 11 year old crying during a hypo), have several hospital visits with blood tests.
Because of relatively good care in the UK, the mortality rate for the under 20s is low, it is still significantly higher than for those who do not have diabetes. As the child grows up they may develop problems with kidneys, eyes, nerves and heart. These problems occur more with poor control but also with variable control...so if the child or young person has a time with problems causing a period where they lose sight of the ball, (an most of us have problems at some time) it can come back to haunt them later. Even with 'good' control complications develop; they are not absent with A1cs in the 5s. If female, any pregnancy will be high risk.
The rate of childhood type 1 is increasing by almost 4% a year, the cost of care for a lifetime with diabetes is extremely high
On a diabetes support forum we always try to accentuate the positive and we try our best to eliminate the problems but this doesn't make them go away.
As one of the most prevelent diseases of childhood, don't you think diabetes is deserving of funding for a cure? or should it be left to pharmaceutical companies with a vested interest in treatment ?

ham79

Dislikes
diabetes and cbeebies
well said phoenix. When I was in the diabetes ward at 30 I was the oldest person there(that was a shock). Even the idea of a cure being possible would give so much hope to us all

taxman

Dislikes
tripe lol
Diabetes in my opinion is a much missunderstood condition.
A lot of people think that it is a condition that you are born with.( Type 1)
A lot of people think that diabetes is something you get if you are fat. (type2)
The Truth is We know diabetes is as a result of our bodies not making good use of the insulin we produce or in the case of Type 1 not producing insulin.

In terms of type 2 diabetes we suspect that high sugary diets over a long period of time can damage the way we can proccess sugars.

I am at the age when i can remember TV adverts that told you a mars a day helps you work rest and play..... adverts that encouraged you to be healthy in eating an egg a day drink a pint of milk a day etc. etc.

dieticians and food nutritional experts would be up in arms if such adverts appeared on the TV today.

Searching for a cure for diabetes is a great purpose as the condition brings so many other potentialy life threatening conditions.

More public awareness about the symptoms and the life changing impact diabetes can bring would also be welcomed.

As a young man i was not worried when I started putting on the pounds and happily ate myself to an obese middle aged man. in 2006 i saw a programme about obesety that changed my life and I imediately set about loosing wieght.

Had I known the risks as a young man then I would never have allowed myself to get to the size i was. I am 13.5 stone lighter now but unfortunately I have been diagnosed as type 2 this year.

As far as I am concerned all sweets and hi carbohydrate foods should carry a public health warning,
in the same way as a pack of cigarettes do.

Would you tuck into a chocolate bar full of sugar if it showed you a picture of a stump.... were a foot had been ... and a message that too much sugar could lead to diabetes and in turn could lead to loss of bits.... the loss of part of a limb being the least of your worries.....

I fully spport any efforts to raise public awareness of diabetes.

sugar2

Will sign.

I wish they would divert the funds from the money spent on helping people quit smoking. If people can afford to smoke, they can afford to quit

Sorry, soapbox moment over!

baby_angel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I completely agree sugar2 thats a very good point.

Thanks for signing anybody who has :)