Diabetes Resolved?

DazG

Had my blood test 3 months ago and it came back as 5.5.

I was then promptly taken off metformin and told I no longer needed it.

I wasnt very happy about this, the rebel inside of me kicked in and decided that if the doctors were not going to help me then I wouldnt bother to help myself for 3 months, in the hope that the numbers went up and they would put me back on the meds after my next blood test. Me thinking that I had been abandoned to fight this on my own, and that I could only survive if I was on medication.

Well, I had my test last week and its now 5.2.

I havent gone overboard in these past 3 months, but I have loosened the reigns on my eating habits and had more carbs and the odd cake, pack of haribos, some chocolate etc, so I cant understand how the numbers have gone down again.

The nurse seems to think my diabetes is now resloved, obviously as long as I continue with my more corrective eating habits and do not go back to old habits.

How likely is this do you think, and is a HbA1c of 5.2 considered to be a non diabetic state?

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
An HbA1c of 5.2 is in the higher part of the non-diabetic range.

However - my last HbA1c was 5.2, and I certainly don't consider that my diabetes is "resolved"! Mind you, I am still very overweight and I take Metformin (1 x500mg 3 times a day) to assist me with weight loss and to give me some protection from CHD, stroke etc.

I am expecting that when I get my weight down to something like normal (ditto my BMI) I shall be able to eat a greater variety of food and not have to be quite so careful of my diet.

But I also expect that if I go back to my old ways of over-eating and increasing weight, my blood glucose levels will rise just like they did before.

So I would say, be glad your figures are near to normal; you obviously have gained good control, and maybe you can relax a bit. Do keep testing though, just in case it sneaks up on you again! :shock: . And do make sure you get a regular HbA1c, even if you have to push for it.

Well done with those figures, though!

Viv 8)

DazG

Thanks Viv, I do feel quite good about things at the moment, I am going to tighten up a little bit more now and hope to get into the high 4's for next time, they will still check me out but only every 6 months, tho I will keep an eye on my sugars by testing. I wont go back to old ways, Ive been careful for 18 months and Im used to it now so its no big deal anymore.

I am going to stick 2 fingers up to diabetes now and keep it at bay :D

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Great attitude, DazG! Grab it by the scruff of its neck and give it a good shake! :lol:

Keep posting so we know how you're doing :)

Viv 8)

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Hi Daz, congratulations on your A1c, I just had my latest result last week and got a 5.5% and have an appointment with the practice nurse next week, I will not be happy if she says I need to stop taking metformin. I take 2000mg split am and pm and if I stop taking that dose it will increase my bg levels by around 2mmol/L so if my current fasting readings are around 6 mmol/L if I stop the metformin they are likely to increase to 8 mmol/L not what I have strived to acheive :?

I see your current Met is 2 X 750mg so your bg is likely to rise by around 1.5 mmol/L on your day to day readings and I would guess make around a 1% increase in your Ac1, so you may struggle to achieve high 4%'s after stopping your meds, but well done and good luck :D

hallii

My A1c was 5.3 last year, (I am due another), and in consultation with my DSN I started on Metformin! OK, only 500 mg a day, but nonetheless it is in direct contrast with your treatment.

Whilst agreeing that the doc/DSN is always right, I also believe that some are more right than others.

In my opinion, to stop your Metformin completely does not add up, it is a very safe drug and has known protective effects apart from increasing sensitivity to insulin.

I would make a docs appointment and get a second opinion, I would also argue the case for continuing Metformin maybe with a reduced dose.

Putting my crystal ball gazers hat on, I would foresee rising A1c s in the future, probably needing medication, and it is a fact that Metformin is a lot more effective when started early rather than late. That is the main reason I was started on it.

H

DazG

Morning Sid

The A1c of 5.2 was achieved without any medication, my metformin was stopped a few months ago, and as I said I have been no angel these past 3 months, so if I get back on track with my eating which I intend to do, then this is the reason I think I may hit the high 4's next time. What do you think?

With regards to continuing with the metformin, I was quite often hitting readings of high 3's and suffering symptoms of a hypo once or twice a week, this is why I was taken off it apparently.

I know there is every chance it will get worse again in time, but at the moment I am enjoying almost normal readings and it feels quite good :wink:

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Sorry Daz I dint see the whole picture there did I? I would assume then that because you got on top of your diabetes so quickly and severely that you may have reversed your insulin sensitivity to its pre diabetic level, an enviable place to be :D

Take it as a warning and stick to a sensible diet in future and who is to say you wont remain symptom free for many years if not forever.

hallii

Yep, sorry from me as well Daz, it does seem that you are in excellent control without the meds.

Enjoy it, but keep your eye on your BGs, I can remember a time when I was down in the low 4s (4.3) and I did think I had this problem cracked. Indeed I had, for about 8 - 9 years, then the old dragon reared it's ugly head again. More hard work on my diet and a bit of excercise got me back into good figures. I am 69 next year so if I can make another 10 years I will be doing OK. Then I am going to eat and drink what I like, and take up smoking, it shouldn't shorten my life by more than a few days
:))

H

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Hallii posted:

Then I am going to eat and drink what I like, and take up smoking, it shouldn't shorten my life by more than a few days

Me too, Hallii, when I get to 80. I'm also going to buy myself a quadbike. Hell's Grannies! :lol:

Viv 8)