1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Diabetes show BBC1 last night 03.10.2016

Discussion in 'Diabetes Soapbox - Have Your Say' started by srobertson06, Oct 4, 2016.

1. srobertson06

srobertson06 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Did anyone else watch this show - I found it really hard to watch - is this really what all diabetics are looking towards?
    Amputated toes, feet and legs.
    I had hoped on some enlightenment - but no it was a programme full of doom and gloom and the NHS suggesting that Diabetes will cause the NHS to have to decide what conditions they can afford to treat - this could just have been my interpretation.
    There was discussion on the 'eat well' plate, there was mention of children being diagnosed with Type 2 and that there condition seems to escalate health issues faster than those of us diagnosed in our 50's.
    It stated that diabetes is crippling the NHS and that stomach surgery was the current only way to control diabetes.

I did miss the very beginning due to taking a phone call but this programme scared me of my future.

Now I do want to add - I have lost weight since diagnosed, I have increased my exercise and I am testing my blood glucose which I pay for myself because it is 'not recommended' -- I still have a long way to go with the weight and I feel I still have a lot to learn - what I find frustrating is wanting to try out baking alternatives and then not being able to buy the ingredients - currently Soy Flour is the one item which is expensive to purchase on line and I have yet to find a store that sells it............ Next stop will be Holland and Barrett where I hope to find it.

Sorry moan over - but the programme really affected me!

2. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Guru
    Retired Moderator

We've got several threads running on the subject at the moment - just do a search for 'hidden cost' and 'Panorama' and they will come up. :)

3. AndyFi

AndyFi Type 2 · Member

i thought so too , thought it was going to be informative , instead of butcher lessons and put the fear of god . i recently diagnose type 2 . i am over weight , i like to them deal with woes from diabetes . most of the symptoms are not great . whether lifestyle inflicted or not , we are still a person ...end of rant

4. eddie1968

eddie1968 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Don't watch TV. You're better off not to - you are likely to be less anxious and less depressed if you find something better to do. Avoid news and especially 24 hour news channels....;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. fletchweb

fletchweb Prefer not to say · Well-Known Member

I no longer watch these kind of programs. Complications happen to people regardless of whether they take care of themselves or not or whether they have diabetes or not. Perspective gets lost in the interest of high television ratings. It would be a boring program if they showcased a group of diabetics who don't have complications and don't appear to have any kind of health condition.

As well, and this is my opinion so I'm not saying I'm right - but I feel the health industry uses the risk of complications to scare their patients in to submission. I've had doctors do this with me in the past and I have good control most of the time. I've witnessed times where people may be running a little high (10 - 15 for whatever reason) and go in to panic mode because their health team have them convinced that if their sugars continue to run high they are going to experience a miserable long death.

So my advice to people with diabetes - don't watch these ridiculous shows unless you enjoy neurosis and stress. And if you have problems controlling your Blood Sugars - don't worry just keep on trying. :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bobbin

Bobbin Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Maybe if it scares one person into taking care of themselves and avoiding type 2 (though I know it's not always lifestyle related), it might have been worth it. Depressing viewing none the less.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook