Other
Looking for anyone with I info on early onset diabetes and symptoms

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Excessive hunger, thirst and urination, fatigue, irritability, infections/wounds that are slow to heal, frequent urinary tract infections.

These symptoms apply at any age.

Reactions: 2 people

ZanMan5

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Other
Well my son who is 14months hasn't always been the healthiest. Actually the most sickly of my children. The last few weeks he has been crying nonstop. At first I read that it could be a defiant stage. So I tried to work through it. Then came the crazy sleep pattern. Toss and turn and crying at night. Taking multiple naps during the day. He also isCrying and grabbing at diaper. Hungry all the time. Awkward smell to breath. The last few days he has thrown up just a little maybe 3 times. Yesterday and today screaming awful painful cry untill I give him a drink that he chugs and chugs. Has not had as frequent of bowel movements all the sudden as well.

ZanMan5

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Other
He had to recently get tubes and they had to place them while he was infected bc depite multiple antibiotics the infection wouldn't heal.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds like the best thing is to see the doctor and ask for his blood glucose levels to be tested. I think I'd be doing it rather quickly as well.

Reactions: 3 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
The awkward smell to his breath could be a sign of diabetes. Some doctors are able to recognise the particular smell.

I would be getting him to a doctor asap. Poor wee man.

ZanMan5

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Other
I was going to take him to my father in law when he wakes in the morning, and check his blood. Then depending on result go to ER or wait till his appt. That's 3 days away? Opinions Please! Good Plan? No?

ZanMan5

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Other
I've read at his age in the morning before he has ate it should be 100-125. If its anything above or below that I plan to act immediately.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
If it was daytime I'd take him to an ER within the next few hours. I think he has suffered long enough.

ZanMan5

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Other
Agreed. Until a few hours ago I was convinced this was all normal. He is getting in his back teeth. When the crying a sleep got crazy I read online that it's totally normal at 14 months that baby's go through a bit of a defiant stage testing limits crying a lot not sleeping well. Yesterday and today were the first crazy thirsty screams. He does have good time too. Happy for hours then not for a period. Like mood swings! Its 1:28am in the morning where I am. He is sleeping OK tossing a bit but no cries. I just want to do the right thing I appreciate all the help

ZanMan5

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Other
I new when I saw him chug a full juice take a breath and chug more there was a problem. I saw his little arm shake a little. I starting researching online straight away, and diabetes matched. Not only that but read similar stories from other moms with toddlers who have diabetes that seem to be identical to mine. I'm just overwhelmed.

ZanMan5

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Other
That's what lead me here. I am not even sure I know all the ends and outs of he is diagnosed with diabetes bring so young. Is he gonna be OK if he does have it?

PerfectStorm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
With the symptoms you describe, and definitely if you get a high blood glucose reading, you should take him to ER. It must be overwhelming for you but it's best to have him checked as soon as possible.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hang in there. Take some deep breaths. It's best to wait until morning, unless he wakes up and is really unwell/won't settle, then you probably should take him in. If he sleeps through until morning, more or less, then that is probably a more convenient time to take him in. You could be there a while.

I honestly think that whether it's diabetes or not, something is wrong that needs looking into. It might not be diabetes. But if it is, rest assured that it is manageable and he will be ok. You will be ok too. We have a subforum for parents of kids with diabetes and there is a lot of support there from people who are living with this. Another good thing is that if he has diabetes, at least you will know what's wrong and he will start feeling better soon.

I only know of what happens when a teenager gets diagnosed... in the case I know of, the kid was in hospital for 4 days getting stabilised. The parents in the parents subforum would know better than I do what happens when it's a toddler.

Remember to breathe. You can do this. It's going to be ok.

ZanMan5

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Other
I am worried about his kidneys. I read awful things about toddlers who don't get diagnosed until near death bc its tricky at that young age to pick up on symptoms. I also read symptoms come one over the course of a few weeks just like his have. I know it sounds crazy but I have a guy feeling that he does have it. I have always known there was something. When I read the symptoms I felt all the air leave my body. A gripping feeling. His name is Zander pls keep him in thoughts and prayers.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I think if he was in danger of permanent damage, his signs and symptoms would be more severe than they are now. If you want, and are able to, you could get some things together, bundle him up and take him in now. If it would ease your mind.

It's normal for a parent to be in a state of shock in a situation like this. No one wants their child to be sick, let alone potentially with a life-changing condition like diabetes. But if you can talk to yourself about staying calm and avoid catastrophising, it will be much easier to get through it.

Most people I have heard of who have type 1 diabetes got diagnosed like this, ie they had days or weeks of thirst and hunger and other symptoms, and things got to a point where they saw a health professional and got a blood sugar test. It can be a surreal experience and it is a lot of information to take on board all at once, but the doctors and nurses will tell you what you need to know and things will be written down for you to digest slowly. This forum is also a great source of info and support, and if we think the health professionals are not being thorough enough we will say so.

If he has diabetes, you will have plenty of help coming to terms with it and helping him to get well and stay well. Things always seem more scary in the middle of the night. Tomorrow will bring some certainty and some peace.

ZanMan5

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Other
Thank you so much. As soon as morning light hits I am taking him straight to get that blood test. If he has any changes in restfulness before then I will bundle him and go. Can I ask you something real quick. The last two days he has had a lot more fresh fruit during the day and both last night and tonight he seems to sleep a bit better? Any correlation between that and diabetes? Just wondering

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I'm not sure, to be honest. Someone here will probably know what it means. I would imagine if he is developing diabetes his blood sugar is quite high at the moment, and he is really hungry, so eating lots of food would make him feel better than if he wasn't eating much.

I hope you can get a few hours sleep before morning, too. It's just after 7pm where I live, so if you want to talk, I'm here for the next several hours, and the British folks will be up soon too. It's breakfast time for them, I think.

Wishing the best for Zander :)

ZanMan5

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Other
You have really been a godsend. I was in such a frazzled mess before. I really appreciate you.