Diabetes Treatment New Developments: Type 2 Diabetes Reversal With New Drug

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
https://www.newscientist.com/articl...ug-could-be-the-first-to-reverse-the-disease/

The New Scientist article of March 2017 refers to a drug to be taken daily. I'm struggling with hermaneutics because to me, if you have to take a drug every day for any condition then that condition is in no way reversed. It's just managed.

It does sound good though because it will make the insulin receptors do what they should be doing, rather than say getting the pancreas to produce loads and loads more insulin to overcome the resistance, although long term possibly worsening the resistance.

We don't need drugs just a dramatic dietary change... and no oatcakes...

Sadly, on some occasions, dramatic dietary change isn't enough. I only mention this as a warning. I've been at about 40 mgs of carb per day, sometimes more, for some years with excellent results. After my last HbA1c there was obviously something not right. Even now, after removing all dairy, my BG Is all over the place. There isn't much more I can remove from my diet so I'm now taking Januvia, as of tomorrow.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
https://www.newscientist.com/articl...ug-could-be-the-first-to-reverse-the-disease/
Sadly, on some occasions, dramatic dietary change isn't enough. I only mention this as a warning. I've been at about 40 mgs of carb per day, sometimes more, for some years with excellent results. After my last HbA1c there was obviously something not right. Even now, after removing all dairy, my BG Is all over the place. There isn't much more I can remove from my diet so I'm now taking Januvia, as of tomorrow.

I tend to be less than 20g most days, or at least that's what I aim for. If I have more I seem to gain a little weight over time.
I now record daily consumption and almost daily weight.. I might run an analysis of the two and see if I can spot any links.. Do I have too much time on my hands...? Unfortunately my food diary only started about a month and a half ago when I started to look at macros.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

The New Scientist article of March 2017 refers to a drug to be taken daily. I'm struggling with hermaneutics because to me, if you have to take a drug every day for any condition then that condition is in no way reversed. It's just managed.

It does sound good though because it will make the insulin receptors do what they should be doing, rather than say getting the pancreas to produce loads and loads more insulin to overcome the resistance, although long term possibly worsening the resistance.

yes sometimess dietary change is not enough, some have a too damaged pancreas already when diagnosed... luckily scientists are trying to also find ways to regain the loss of functioning pancreas cells..

well maybe not totally cured , but I would uderstand it as like "problem solved" if insuline resistance would be upheaven by this medication... if insuline resistance is the problem in type 2 alone... maybe there are more combined causes ... but well anyway I still hope for a scientific solution also if not really cured withoutmedication... it would make a lot of things muc easier even though the food we can eat is of the most healthy kind... and I´ll never forget how wrong science and authorities were in claiming fat is totally unhealthy... thats a historic catastrofical misinformation of the most devastating kinds

and I am still puzzled by the trial where diabetic dogs had a nerve cut over that led from their kidneys to their stomach area and then their insuline resistance seem to have vanished... that is a weired result...!!!
http://www.theevolvingplanet.com/cutting-kidney-nerves-reverses-diabetes-sign/

http://www.obesity.org/news/press-r...eep-could-equal-six-months-on-a-high-fat-diet

Last edited:

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

David, can I ask do you also manage to keep your weight in the "normal " range ? I'm kinda hoping my resistance will improve if I can carry on with the diet.

PansyP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm trying to fathom out if it's any better than Metformin ..... Yes if it was a case of a course of pills - fine but if it's simply an equivalent of metformin every day for the rest of your life, maybe it's not the panacea we all crave.

PansyP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
What is the normal range David and are you on insulin?