Diabetes Type 1 & Pregnancy

angela1986

Hi im 22 years old and i was diagnoised with type 1 diabetes last january! Ive had 2 miscarries since then due to my blood levels being poorly controlled...one at 6 weeks and one at 10 weeks. Im doing my best to try and control them but nothings happening. I really want a baby but im scared ill just loose it again. Can anyone give me advice on what to do and what to eat for 9 months...ive tried talking to my doctor about it but id like other peoples opinions esp women that have had babies. Replies would be really appreciated. Thanks

shews

Sorry to hear about whats happened so far. What is your hbA1c like?

I am 27 and type 1 and have just started trying for a baby (literally a few days ago!) so I'm not really experienced to advise you. I have had pretty eratic control for 15 yrs and then started to reduce my carbs to about 50g per day as on january. My hbA1c has reduced by 1% so far and my diabetic nurse suggested it should be below 7.5% before getting pregnant.

Low carbing has really helped my levels but during preganacy i think it is important to not be in ketosis at any time so if i do get pregnant i intend to raise my carb intake to approx 70g.

The only other advise i can think of is test at least 6 times per day so see if you are getting any undetected spikes during the day.

What are your typical diet and doses?

anniemai

Hello
I am 38 Years old and have been Diabetic since I was 11. I have two beautiful Sons and yes i was scared about the whole 'pregnancy' thing with my condition. However i managed to keep pre pregnancy (about 5 months ) a really close eye on my sugars and managed a hbaic of less than 7, I think (however i'm not medically trained) that pre pregnancy sugars are very important the better they are the better chance you are giving your baby. keeping sugars stable through pregnancy wasn't as difficult as i had expected i had a few ups and down but no major trauma. I delivered both Sons naturally ( i had thought with my first, i wouldn't even bother reading the books as I was sure as a diabetic women i'd be having a 10lber and so would have a c - section!. (7lb 12oz and 6lb 5oz both weights).
Just be the same as any women would be ,take care of yourself follow a sensible diet, and do what the Drs tell you. I was told that my children would have about the same chance of having Diabetes as anyone elses as there father is 'Normal'. They are 11 and 7 and show no signs yet

pumpinpatsy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, I am 40 and have just had my second baby 3 weeks ago. I've had Type 1 diabetes for 10 years.

Its important to get your HBA1C below 7 before you start trying to conceive. Your diabetes clinic should run a pre-conception clinic? I know I have been pregnant in 3 cities and they all run these clinics.

Also, with my second child I had an insulin pump and I found this a revelation in trying to maintain glucose levels. You should ask about this too as trying to conceive or pregnancy gain you extra points as it were in trying to qualify for a pump.

I've had 7 pregnancies, but only 2 live children at the end of it. Both of those pregnancies were completely different to each other. My first son was delivered at 38 weeks, by emergency section following induction.

My second son was born very early, at 34 weeks, 3 weeks ago, again my emergency section as he'd grown too quickly since 32 weeks and my amniotic fluid had increased too much, plus his heart rate went a bit strange.

I think I got a bit complacent towards the end of my second pregnancy, because it had gone so well, so had started to have little treats like ice-cream and some biscuits - I always bolused for them, but on retrospect I wish I hadn't treated myself, as I can't be sure it wasn't a contributing factor to what happened.
However, he is home now, and doing well.
The hospital was fantastic - I attended clinics every 2 weeks, and had a detailed heart scan for baby at 22 weeks. In addition I had heart tracing and detailed scans from 32 weeks, and that should have been every week from 34 weeks had I gone the distance.

Giraffe

I was diagnosed with gestational in my first pregnancy, and then it has stuck around as regular type 1, that was 10 yrs ago. I have had another pregnancy since then, both absolutely fine and healthy kids.

The first baby was 10lb! And born 'naturally' there was a prob with her shoulders getting stuck, and the next kid was born via C section and general anaesthetic - I highly recommend this method!

But anyway, you want to know about getting pregnant - all I can say is the best advice I was given was to EXERCISE after each meal. A walk around the block, exercise bike, anything that gets you moving after eating will bring your sugars down.

And TEST TEST TEST, it's the only way to do it. Every few hours, you have to really understand what your body is doing, how different foods affect you.

I have been told that sugar control within the first 6 weeks or so of conception is paramount, as if it's off the baby can develop heart problems. Is that true? I don't know, but I was paranoid!