Diabetes Type 2 is a lifestyle choice

bigbenn

Diabetes Type 2 is a lifestyle choice, indicated by a pot belly (although I had mine since birth) and an obese body, as are the many complications which might occur as the disease progresses.

If you take medication prescribed by your Doctor, continue to do so.

2 years ago I weighed 118kg, a random blood test showed 10, where the line which determines Diabetes free, from Diabetes Type 2, is 7.0, I was progressing towards Type 1 Diabetes which would have eventually meant sticking myself with a needle and injecting insulin presumably and other procedures I prefer not to think about.

I decided at a specific point in time to stop the progression of Diabetes, to reverse the process and if I could, get rid of Diabetes altogether – I have been Diabetes Type 2 free, for over 2 years so far.

Either way, my diet below, is simple and effective when you fast walk, for 20 plus minutes, daily, as well, which is a must and you lose weight automatically, you simply can’t help yourself from doing so.

In the medical updates which I have read with interest, it seems that my diet is also a way of protecting my body also, against heart and brain related diseases, especially as I get older than my 65 years.

The lighter you, the better control over your Diabetes and the longer your life.

I settled on the enclosed diet of 2,500 Calories each day.
Breakfast:
2 x eggs raw.
2 serves of 2 biscuits of Weetbix = 4
1 Tablespoon of low fat dried milk powder, mixed with water.
3 pieces of fruit (Advocado, Apple & a Banana) I liquidise the fruit into a smoothie which I drink with my tablets – prior to my morning fast walk.

Snack 10am (after the daily morning walk).
Handful of nuts
1 piece of fruit,
Sticks of Celery.
Mug of water

Lunch 12.30 pm
1 x 130g to 200g can of raw fish in brine: Salmon, Herring, Sardines, Mackerel, Tuna, etc
1 x piece of fruit, as above.
Mug of water

Afternoon snack
2 mugs of juiced carrots with Apple or celery sticks.
Piece of fruit, as above
Mug of water

Dinner:
Usual meal, minimise portions to reduce amount of food the body needs, however without salt, fat or sugar related products

As an alternative to water, I drink Coffee with “Coffeemate”, which gives it a creamy taste – but is not milk and I do not use sugar at all.

If you enjoy a drink, try to drink sugar free drinks

I used to get fatigue around 2pm through to about 4pm and could never work out why I always felt tired then. The solution was quite straight forward. Eating the 1 x 130g to 200g can of fish in brine, at lunchtime, recharged my energy banks for most of the afternoon and made me awake and aware of what was happening around me, even when I felt physically tired and that has in itself, changed my life and my enjoyment of life enormously.

Of course and it goes without saying, I must eat and drink no sugar related products which includes no alcohol of any type and although I have never smoked, giving up smoking, is a must too.

If you think that giving up alcohol, sugar drinks and smoking is too much – then remember you are doing so for your life and continuing to live for as long as you possibly can vs an unpleasant, slow and perhaps, un-necessary death.

So what’s the upside? For the last 2 years I have been Diabetes Type 2 free with a normal blood sugar reading of 6.1 from my 3 monthly blood tests. My body organs have regenerated to full health, including my eyes which were failing.

I am in my mid 60’s and I intend to never have Diabetes Type 2 again.

I hope my diet and exercise plan, which is simplicity itself and the cure, automatic, will help those of you willing to give it a try and I would be happy to support and encourage everyone willing to give themselves a second chance with my diet, through this forum.

BigBenn

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Hi bigben
I'm glad you got your T2 inder control.
I too am 65 and have good control of T2 on minimal medication
I am interested in your diet
I myself couldn't handle Weetwbix or 3 pieces of fruit per day.
I eat very little carb of any kind
I too have lost lots of weight [about 22Kg and take exercise. I need much more than a morning walk. It's 6 gym classes and walks in between per week.
Hana

Reactions: 2 people

Fraddycat

Hi Bigbenn, welcome to the forum and for posting the interesting note above. I think it can be misleading, especially to new members who have just been diagnosed with diabetes to claim that you have been cured and that a cure exists. Diabetes is a life long, potentially progressive illness, and there is currently no cure. I am sure if you drank a glass of orange juice or full fat coke your sugar levels would be sky high, which indicates that you still have diabetes. Instead what you have done is got your diabetes completely under control and therefore do not need meds, for which I congratulate you.

(By the way, you're writing style reminds me of Bonny)

Mileana

As moderator, I would like to add that a 'cure' from Diabetes is not very possible.

It is possible to achieve normal blood sugars, yes. There are multiple ways of achieving that. What works for one person may not work for someone else. It depends on the progression of their condition.

The best way to tell what works for 'you' is to measure your blood glucose often enough to know what effects a certain food has on your system. It is often the carbohydrates that need adjusting and I agree with Hana that a lot of people would find it difficult to achieve good control with that many carbohydrates - while others may get along very fine.

That said, congratulations on finding something that works for you. Well done.

-M

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bigbenn said:

Diabetes Type 2 is a lifestyle choice, indicated by a pot belly (although I had mine since birth) and an obese body, as are the many complications which might occur as the disease progresses.

many type 2 diabetics are not, and never have been overweight.

I was progressing towards Type 1 Diabetes which would have eventually meant sticking myself with a needle and injecting insulin presumably and other procedures I prefer not to think about.

Type 1 and Type 2 are different. Some type 2's take insulin, but they have not become type 1's.

hope my diet and exercise plan, which is simplicity itself and the cure, automatic,

Its a lovely thought, but I'm afraid many of us have too many destroyed beta cells to be entirely drug free with your plan, let alone automatically cured. But I am glad it worked for you.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi bigben
Just to clear up a point in your post I have never had a pot belly and have never been even slightly overweight I inherited my type 2 diabetes from my mother.I admire the way you have your DB under control but we can not all treat our DB in the same way
CAROL

Unbeliever

carty said:
Hi bigben
Just to clear up a point in your post I have never had a pot belly and have never been even slightly overweight I inherited my type 2 diabetes from my mother.I admire the way you have your DB under control but we can not all treat our DB in the same way
CAROL

I can say the same as Carty , no pot belly, never been overweight and inherited mine from my father He was never overweight either.
I have always eercised and followed a GI diet for years before diagnosis. I fail to see how my lifesyle choices led to my diabetes.

Perhaps you can enlighen me?

Defren

bigbenn said:

Eh, no it isn't! Not all diabetic T2's are overweight, many are very slim at diagnosis.

bigbenn said:
If you take medication prescribed by your Doctor, continue to do so.

Thank you!

bigbenn said:
2 years ago I weighed 118kg, a random blood test showed 10, where the line which determines Diabetes free, from Diabetes Type 2, is 7.0, my [urine] was a deep yellow with bits of material floating in it, which indicated the beginnings of organ failure and I was progressing towards Type 1 Diabetes which would have eventually meant sticking myself with a needle and injecting insulin presumably and other procedures I prefer not to think about.

Forgive me for changing the wording of your post, I think urine is much more appropriate on a family forum. The colour of urine is no indicator of diabetes, high blood glucose is. Also, humour me, where did "bits of material floating in urine" indicate organ failure? Type 2 diabetics do NOT progress to T1, they are completely different! May I suggest you try Google?

bigbenn said:
I decided at a specific point in time to stop the progression of Diabetes, to reverse the process and if I could, get rid of Diabetes altogether – I have been Diabetes Type 2 free, for over 2 years so far.

You can't "get rid" of diabetes, at this time there is no cure!

bigbenn said:
Either way, my diet below, is simple and effective when you fast walk, for 20 plus minutes, daily, as well, which is a must and you lose weight automatically, you simply can’t help yourself from doing so.

Something we agree on (to a point) exercise is good for us, if we are able to exercise. Many are not due to other health problem.

bigbenn said:
In the medical updates which I have read with interest, it seems that my diet is also a way of protecting my body also, against heart and brain related diseases, especially as I get older than my 65 years.

Again, we agree, diet is important, not only as we age, but throughout life.

bigbenn said:
The lighter you, the better control over your Diabetes and the longer your life.

Yes, I agree, however, diet is vital for control, but didn't you say you were cured?

bigbenn said:
I settled on the enclosed diet of 2,500 Calories each day.
Breakfast:
2 x eggs raw.
2 serves of 2 biscuits of Weetbix = 4
1 Tablespoon of low fat dried milk powder, mixed with water.
3 pieces of fruit (Advocado, Apple & a Banana) I liquidise the fruit into a smoothie which I drink with my tablets – prior to my morning fast walk.

Snack 10am (after the daily morning walk).
Handful of nuts
1 piece of fruit,
Sticks of Celery.
Mug of water

Lunch 12.30 pm
1 x 130g to 200g can of raw fish in brine: Salmon, Herring, Sardines, Mackerel, Tuna, etc
1 x piece of fruit, as above.
Mug of water

Afternoon snack
2 mugs of juiced carrots with Apple or celery sticks.
Piece of fruit, as above
Mug of water

Dinner:
Usual meal, minimise portions to reduce amount of food the body needs, however without salt, fat or sugar related products

As an alternative to water, I drink Coffee with “Coffeemate”, which gives it a creamy taste – but is not milk and I do not use sugar at all.

If you enjoy a drink, try to drink sugar free drinks

I used to get fatigue around 2pm through to about 4pm and could never work out why I always felt tired then. The solution was quite straight forward. Eating the 1 x 130g to 200g can of fish in brine, at lunchtime, recharged my energy banks for most of the afternoon and made me awake and aware of what was happening around me, even when I felt physically tired and that has in itself, changed my life and my enjoyment of life enormously.

forgive me if I give your diet a miss, your breakfast alone would have me blind and with no feet!
bigbenn said:
Of course and it goes without saying, I must eat and drink no sugar related products which includes no alcohol of any type and although I have never smoked, giving up smoking, is a must too.

Smoking yes, not a good thing, perhaps you would like to explain why a glass of wine or two is bad, anecdotal evidence on this forum suggests otherwise.

bigbenn said:
If you think that giving up alcohol, sugar drinks and smoking is too much – then remember you are doing so for your life and continuing to live for as long as you possibly can vs an unpleasant, slow and perhaps, un-necessary death.

So what’s the upside? For the last 2 years I have been Diabetes Type 2 free with a normal blood sugar reading of 6.1 from my 3 monthly blood tests. My body organs have regenerated to full health, including my eyes which were failing.

As I said earlier, you're not diabetes free, but you have very good control. Again humour me, while I just boast a little. My last HbA1c wipes the floor with yours, mine was 4.9. I wonder if that could be because I don't eat weetabix and bananas?

bigbenn said:
I am in my mid 60’s and I intend to never have Diabetes Type 2 again.

I hate to burst your bubble, but once a diabetic always a diabetic - fact!

bigbenn said:
I hope my diet and exercise plan, which is simplicity itself and the cure, automatic, will help those of you willing to give it a try and I would be happy to support and encourage everyone willing to give themselves a second chance with my diet, through this forum.

BigBenn

I'll give it a miss if you don't mind, I prefer my diet and HbA1c to yours. Sorry.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Fraddycat said:
(By the way, you're writing style reminds me of Bonny)

Yes I thought that.

Even if not then another "Food in your mouth, all T2's are fat and lazy, exercise fanatic".

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree also, your breakfast would harm me and make me feel like rubbish for the rest o the day. My HbA1c is also better than yours so I will stick to my plan.

But also remember, everyone is different, so whilst this works for you, it may not work for someone else. You cannot follow the same plan as the next person when you have diabetes.

Whilst I mentioned as with others here, you cannot cure diabetes, looking at my details I have cured I too, but 1 bite of chocolate, coke, a slice if bread would tell me instantly a different answer.

1 last thing, I have ignored my GP for the moment and he stopped taking my Metformin (I don't advise anyone else to do this, I am just stubborn) and it has made no difference to me, again everyone is different, I worked very hard to be able to try this.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
The NHS do not provide tanker loads of insulin 1st thing in the morning :shock:
What exactly is in coffee mate? Ingredients
GLUCOSE SYRUP, HYDROGENATED VEGETABLE OIL (MAY CONTAIN COCONUT, PALM KERNEL AND/OR SOYBEAN OIL), SODIUM CASEINATE (A MILK DERIVATIVE), DIPOSTASSIUM PHOSPHATE, SODIUM ALUMINUM SILICATE, MONOGLYCERIDES, ACETYLATED TARTARIC ACID ESTERS OF MONO- AND DYGLYCERIDES, ARTIFICIAL FLAVOUR, COLOUR

Sounds disgusting like the rest of your advice, troll.

bigbenn

Hi,

I agree with the comments of all of you. You have Diabetes and fortunately for me, I don't any longer.

I got my diabetes from eating and drinking the wrong things and I got obese and I did not exercise and as a result I got Diabetes Type 2.

I agree my diet is horrible and I don't like Weetbix or skimmed milk either and if I did not feel it was necessary, I would not eat it either - some days I have to force myself to eat breakfast, because like many of you I think Weetbix and skimmed milk is disgusting.

However, Diabetes was not my choice either and if I have to eat horrible things which are disgusting to me, to beat the Diabetes that I have, then I will do anything positive to beat the disease which I had, for the end result I wish to achieve - even if I give up alcohol and for the sake of argument, smoking too, to achieve that.

I would also like to point out that anyone can eat my diet. It is relatively cheap and anyone can get and eat the ingredients and see for themselves, with lazy exercise, that the weight they have drops off automatically at the same time that their blood sugar test readings drop down too, possibly back to 6.1 as mine has done and forever, if that is the effect they wish to achieve.

All it has taken or cost me so far, is the words I print here, that said, I gain nothing from my diet or printing it out whatsoever and so far as I am aware, no one profits from a cash perspective, from my diet either.

I would wish, with all of my heart, that I could cure the Diabetes that each of you has, with one wish and my blessing, here and now - however, I also know in reality, that I can do nothing and change nothing for each and every one of you, because you have to make that change yourself and all I can do is offer you is a way, that, like me, you might be able to beat the Diabetes which you have.

For those of you who inherited this horrible disease, all I can say is what bad luck. My diet, because it is sugar, fat and salt free, as much as possible that is, will not harm you in any way and might improve your health overall, if your own diet is not doing that for you, of course.

I also recommend remaining with your doctor and taking whatever pills your doctor recommends for your ongoing health, as I do.

The medical thinking is that once we have Diabetes, it does not go away. The sugar test which I took to establish I had Diabetes, was a way of discovering how quickly my liver disposed of the sugar in my body and when my liver did not process the sugar quickly enough, it was established I had Diabetes by result and that was the end of that. I now have an invisible Diabetes Type 2 stamp on my forehead, which effects me in different ways, that being Diabetes free never did, including having to pass a Diabetes test each year to retain my drivers license and attending a clinic at the main hospital to monitor my Diabetes yearly and see how my body organs have become more overcome, by this horrible disease - if I still had it, that is.

That said, all that remains is to wish each and every one of you good luck and hopefully a long life - with all of my heart and my best wishes for each and every one of you, irrespective of whichever road you take to achieve that.

BigBenn

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
BigBenn

I think for those of us with wheat intolerance I think your diet could, in fact, be very damaging. I've no doubt you're well intentioned in your desire to help heal diabetics, but I would remind you that diabetes is not the ONLY medical condition in the world and that there are, in fact, other medical conditions which would be aggravated by a diet containing wheat and low fat. Whilst your diet may work for YOU, it may actually harm someone with a different medical constitution to yours.

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming
Who is "Bonny"?

bigbenn

Hi,
Thanks for your reply. Wheat - um, that would probably be Weetbix - to be honest, I never thought of that, so good point.

OK, your reply is acknowledged and confirmed and I will keep my opinion to myself in future.

Nevertheless, I hope that each and every one of you are successful in overcoming your Diabetes and to having full and happy lives.

BigBenn

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bigben

Just wanted to mention again that diabetes can not be cured, my last visit to the GPS was great, the results of my blood test were normal and if my go did not know me he would have said I did not have diabetes.

You are of course allowed to post your opinions that is what this forum if for, but say it the correct way or you will be jumped upon. :D

paragliderpete

Hiu bigbenn you seem to be a bit short on technical data to be convincing. It seems more plausable that you were never diabetic in the first place, and only insulin resistant due to your obesity.
Perhaps you could post your oral glucose tolerence test results, and fasting glucose levels. Just because you have managed to normalise your routine bm readings does not mean that you have cured your diabetes. It sound very much as though you do not understand what daibetes is.
Great news that you have things under control, unfortunately you give a very confusing picture for new members , with nothing to convince the well educated diabetics on the forum. Look forward to you detailed response. Numbers please

Grazer

IF, and it's a big IF, you ever had diabetes bigbenn, you're now living in a world of denial. And if your HbA1c really is now 6.1, it's worse than mine and a lot of others on here; but we know we're not cured.