Diabetes UK mentioning that Low Carb might be helpful in T2 in the new edition of Balance!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Would you believe it!

47027c2963fb055d1b001a28d456b1a5.jpg

baac9c7f4ff6376f389d1ac43ec660a6.jpg

bae5536aeab8dcce6167716b62de9f2c.jpg

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It sounds good on the surface, but read it all and it is a low GI diet with low fat, no bacon, ham or sausage and eating wholegrains, pulses, and fruit etc. Maybe a step in the right direction, but lots more steps to go.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes a step in the right direction. Give them another year and they will catch up. How terrible that you may have to reduce your medication.

Reactions: kitedoc

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
If they’d left the last bit out it would have looked better. What Douglas describes isn’t exactly low carb....

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Poor Douglas, and he started off doing so well...

Hotpepper20000

I have said this before. I worry that the message of low carb with out increasing fats will just set people up for failure.
IMHO It doesn’t have to massive amounts of fat but it can’t be low fat. It’s not sustainable.

Reactions: Serena51
M

Member496333

I was about to say that maybe the sands are finally shifting until I got to the bit where actually it’s all just exactly the same dietary advice as before, dressed up as something new. Whole grains, low fat, vegetable oils.

Pandering to the low carb movement but then advising the same diet as before. Perhaps they’re hoping everyone is stupid.

Oh and don’t forget, kids, don’t replace carbs with cakes and biscuits :shifty:

Reactions: AloeSvea

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Would you believe it!

47027c2963fb055d1b001a28d456b1a5.jpg

baac9c7f4ff6376f389d1ac43ec660a6.jpg

bae5536aeab8dcce6167716b62de9f2c.jpg

There are some rather more questionable parts of that article you haven't posted.

My copy of Balance only arrived today, so I just picked it up when I came across your thread.

brassyblonde900

Type of diabetes
Type 2
They lost me at "...Although the amount of carbs has a direct effect on blood glucose after eating, studies that have compared relatively high carb diets, with low carb diets, have shown no significant differences in long term HbA1c levels.
However people with T2 diabetes who follow a low carb diet tend to require less medication..."

Despite the part of their statement I quoted in bold text above, they then go ahead and make the statement directly below that sentence.
Wow just wow...speaking out of both sides of their mouth much?o_O

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
This is exactly the same as the diabetes course I attended a few months ago - ALL OTHER THE ... PLACE with contradictions galore. What a shambles. Show me the study where a high carb diet performed anywhere near low carb, unless this is one of those where low carb was not low carb i.e. closer to 150 grams.

Douglas's tips are worthy of being in a tip. His method would keep insulin spiked for a disproportionate amount of time, and elevated blood sugars in general. One could take the first two columns of his advice and trash most of the rest. This is professional advice that does more harm to an already damaged person.

I would happily debate him on his promotion of:
oats, brown rice, beans, lentils, vegetable oil and spreads

and his negativity towards:
bacon, ham, sausages, lamb, beef, pork, ghee, lard, butter

I would ask him to produce evidence to back his claims; I would show him proof that his recommendations raise the very markers a Type 2 wants to lower, and that the foods he puts in jail have been used across the globe since documentation / wall paintings have been around, and in fact part of a well formulated Type 2 reversal plan. I would go further and show the relative risk nonsense is just that, the groups behind this with their motivation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chronicle_Cat

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Does DUK really wonder why nobody with an ounce of sense listens to dieticians? A complete hotpotch of misinformation and downright falsehoods dressed up as advice.. and this is what is allegedly "our charity"...

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
They lost me at "...Although the amount of carbs has a direct effect on blood glucose after eating, studies that have compared relatively high carb diets, with low carb diets, have shown no significant differences in long term HbA1c levels.
However people with T2 diabetes who follow a low carb diet tend to require less medication..."

Despite the part of their statement I quoted in bold text above, they then go ahead and make the statement directly below that sentence.
As I say below all over the place, Just like Ms Alison Tedstone of Public Health England saying in one sentence sugar should be reduced, then in the next sentence take more carbs. The emperors clothes are in clear sight.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
.Although the amount of carbs has a direct effect on blood glucose after eating, studies that have compared relatively high carb diets, with low carb diets, have shown no significant differences in long term HbA1c levels.

I wonder how much research has to be done to change the opinion of those who hand out this advice.

In "Impact of High-Carbohydrate Diet on Metabolic Parameters in Patients with Type 2 Diabetes" Published online 2017 Mar 24

"HC diets are at least as effective as LC diets, leading to significant weight loss and a reduction in plasma glucose, HbA1c and low density lipoprotein-cholesterol (LDL-C) levels. "

Although surprising, I can only say that their results would have been different if I had been one of their test subjects.

M

Member496333

That’s because they’ve only added this in order to lure those who have heard about low carb but don’t know what it is. Capture them straight away and then feed them the same dietary advice as before. Joke.

Sickens me that this organisation exists and is allowed to give advice to diabetics.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
That’s because they’ve only added this in order to lure those who have heard about low carb but don’t know what it is. Capture them straight away and then feed them the same dietary advice as before. Joke.

Sickens me that this organisation exists and is allowed to give advice to diabetics.
Honestly it makes me produce a long silent scream. If you were a Type 2 taking their advice at say fbg of 9.0, do you think you would ever see 4's or 5's or possibly even 6's eating their way without drugs.

What is almost just as strange as the advice is that they must believe it, would you put your name and face to an article that will last forever so confidently.

M

Member496333

[...]What is almost just as strange as the advice is that they must believe it, would you put your name and face to an article that will last forever so confidently.

Non one who knows anything about diabetes believes it. Their MO is to ensure that as few people as possible know anything about it.

The advice is grounded in making profit from drugs. There’s no other explanation.

M

Member496333

I’m still laughing at don’t replace carbs with biscuits, cakes, pies and pastries. The author doesn’t appear to even know what a carbohydrate is, and they’re writing articles on carbohydrate for a diabetes charity. Unbelievable :hilarious::shifty:

Last edited by a moderator:

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am looking out of my window at a flock of lambs - how do they reckon Lamb is a processed meat? It is literally unprocessed field to fork.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And still that belief being pressed that potatoes, brown bread, rice and pasta are not carbs!!! Dangerous, dangerous message there. And pushing the vegan/vegetarian message too.

M

Member496333

Still laughing :D

The “how low can you go?” column is just one contradiction after the other. It is literally designed to confuse. Par for the course, of course. Nothing has changed except they’re now actively trying to deceive people who may have heard about low carb and are looking for information on it.

Despicable behaviour.

Last edited by a moderator: