Diabetes UK-Say goodbye to fad diets

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This popped up in an email I received from Diabetes UK today...

"A ‘faddy’ diet is one where you are advised to do any of the following:
  • cut out food groups (dairy and starchy carbs are popular - without there being a medical reason to do this)
  • restrict an eating pattern to a few foods
  • stick to fruit or vegetable juice
Many people think that all carbs are 'bad', and cut them from their diet.

However, all the evidence suggests that wholegrain carbs such as oats, brown rice, wholewheat pasta, fruit and veg are important for good health - especially heart health - and many people's intake is lower than it should be.

We do know that evidence indicates that low-carb diets can help people with Type 2 diabetes to lose weight and improve blood glucose control. This does not refer to the wholegrain carbs previously mentioned, but rather foods such as cakes, chocolates, sweets and crisps, which have no nutritional value."

These people should be banned from giving "advice"

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We do know that evidence indicates that low-carb diets can help people with Type 2 diabetes to lose weight and improve blood glucose control. This does not refer to the wholegrain carbs previously mentioned, but rather foods such as cakes, chocolates, sweets and crisps, which have no nutritional value."

This is the bit my DN is stuck on. She now accepts my low carbing is helping my blood sugar levels, but wont, just WONT accept that wholegrains etc are carbs.

and now my cholesterol has gone up to a shocking 6.1 I got the low-fat lecture too,until I politely shut her up.

johnme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

• cut out food groups (dairy and starchy carbs are popular - without there being a medical reason to do this)

However, all the evidence suggests that wholegrain carbs such as oats, brown rice, wholewheat pasta, fruit and veg are important for good health - especially heart health - and many people's intake is lower than it should be.

´Its your fault for eating cakes. Whole grain bread has no negative effect at all’ is the underlying message

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Why politely? :rolleyes:
Because its the only surgery for many miles, only DN within reach, and I need her cooperation as a gateway to other service.

Plus she can be taught, it only took 4 years to get her to accept the idea of low carbing not being from the devil himself : )

M

Member496333

It may be worth remembering that Diabetes UK are in bed with Britvic, the manufacturers of such nutritious beverages as Mountain Dew. They can hardly be considered the paragon of optimal diabetes management. Even if they didn’t already dish out life threatening advice to diabetics.

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Because its the only surgery for many miles, only DN within reach, and I need her cooperation as a gateway to other service.

Plus she can be taught, it only took 4 years to get her to accept the idea of low carbing not being from the devil himself : )
:hilarious: reasons accepted. Especially because she's not beyond pedagogical reach.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
And anyway, chocolate (the cacao itself) has definite nutritional value.
I am probably going to be confronted by my cardiologist tomorrow. I respect her and her associates very much, but I know she’s going to throw the party line at me. Being as I don’t eat fatty meats anyway, maybe I’ll get off lightly.

Reactions: Chook

Colin of Kent

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Diabetes UK are in bed with Britvic
Intriguing... do tell.

I saw the update in the last issue of Balance, saying that low-carb can help T2. I thought, at least it's a step forward from denying that carbs have any role to play.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.

I have given up eating cake {sob} but I seem to recall that many cakes have eggs and butter in them.

So is this a definition of "no nutritional value" which has previously escaped me?

Fruit cakes have dried fruit..........need I go on?

Diawara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

my diabetic nurse was the one to give me my flu jab today and i tookthe opitunaty to have a rant against the other forum and nice guidelines and the eatwell plate .. also asked how many others at the practice had reversed type 2 through low carb/keto diet...she wasnt sure but not many. like i would guess she should know......ive got assume that was zero?

Last edited:

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Pretty sure Diabetes UK is where you go if you’re looking to get diabetes.
I’m not sure if all “ types” of diabetics have had to go looking for diabetes.
For some, diabetes comes looking for them.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
My T2 was a Ninja cat and stalked me stealthily until it struck.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

********. Many of us do not have a sweet tooth, so the cakes, chocolates and sweets were rarely on the menu. Crisps maybe. But those of us that followed the general advice to eat wholegrains, oats, brown rice, wholegrain pasta and fruit ended up on this forum.

Edited by moderator for language.

Last edited by a moderator: