Diabetes UK & Tesco

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Speaking of diabetes.org.uk....(There's lot's of comments on Facebook about this!)

tesco2.jpg
tesco1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 8 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
An in-laws works for Tesco and they are told where to put the banners and such.
Some place appropriate, was the answer my in law got told. As it was next to the sweets, they received loads of support for it.
My in law says it is a really big promotion Tesco do a great job supporting the charity!

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
An in-laws works for Tesco and they are told where to put the banners and such.
Some place appropriate, was the answer my in law got told. As it was next to the sweets, they received loads of support for it.
My in law says it is a really big promotion Tesco do a great job supporting the charity!

I was in a big tesco today, didn't see anything about it. But I didn't go in the sweets aisle!

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
I split the above 3 replies off from another thread to create this one, as it was slightly off-topic in the other thread but still could make a good point of discussion on its own :)

I was told that this was just an individual store's way to try and make a little money for charity. It's clearly done with the best of intentions, but just not with a great deal of thought about placement :rolleyes:

Reactions: 2 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

I am not surprised. Our local Tesco held a raffle for DUK - the prize was a massive basket of chocolate biscuits. I was too scared to buy a ticket in case I won :eek:

Reactions: 18 people
C

catherinecherub

Tesco staff, suppliers and customers have raised £18.6 million for Diabetes UK from their partnership which ran from March 2013 to December 2014. This is the largest amount every raised in a Tesco charity partnership in the UK.

The original target had been £18m.

The £18.6 million will fund continuing research, education and awareness programmes to make life better for people with diabetes and reach those at risk of developing Type 2 diabetes. For example, it has helped extend the opening hours of Diabetes UK’s Careline, enabled Diabetes UK’s largest ever advertising campaign to encourage people to check their risk of Type 2 diabetes, and fund the charity’s biggest ever research programme into developing a vaccine for Type 1 diabetes.

Tesco staff raised funds through events in stores, distribution centres and offices around the UK. Suppliers to Tesco supported the partnership through promotions, and Tesco customers also made donations.

http://www.fundraising.co.uk/2015/02/26/tescos-partnership-diabetes-uk-raises-18-6m/

A new partnership between Diabetes UK, the British Heart Foundation and Tesco aims to raise £30 million to fund initiatives that will help people better understand how to lead a healthy lifestyle.

The partnership will run for three years. It is getting underway with Tesco stores around the UK offering free health checks for 40,000 individuals this January. This includes a blood pressure check, a cholesterol test, a Type 2 diabetes test and a BMI (weight) check and takes about 20 minutes.

The campaign was launched with research by YouGov which found in a survey of 2,025 people that just 35% of respondents knew the average man needs to consume 2,500 calories a day to maintain a healthy weight; and 37% knew that 2,000 calories was the equivalent for women.

Eleven per cent of respondents said that they did not do any exercise, and 49% said they did less than the recommended minimum of 150 minutes a week.

The fundraising activity will include Tesco’s sponsorship during 2015 of Diabetes UK’s Swim22 and BHF’s Cycling Events.

http://www.fundraising.co.uk/2015/0...eart-foundation-tesco-three-year-partnership/

Before we were diabetics and knew very little about it, would we have objected? Tesco is a supermarket and unless DUK intervene and tell them what they must and must not do then let us be grateful for the amount of money they have raised for the benefit of diabetic research.

Reactions: 16 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
The amount of money raised for Diabetes is fantastic. But............... who on earth does their marketing for these 'campaigns' and what message are they promoting by having sweets and chocolates,? also home made cakes which I saw outside of the entrance to Southampton General hospital a while back. Promoting these type of foods in a raffle for example is rather naive of such a huge organisation. We are all advised to eat more healthily (that is the general public and not just those with diabetes) and swap certain foods for more healthy ones, exercise more too. It would appear that trying to promote awareness for Type 2 diabetes is being marketed by people who do not know a great deal about the condition and have done no or very little research on it !! I can see why people get annoyed or frustrated by this type of thing.
Years ago many would not of heard so much about diabetes, and probably back in the 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's it was often talked about very low key and in a hushed breath, nowadays .........................we have an epidemic. Therefore, I believe it needs changing asap.

Moan over now :rolleyes:

Best wishes RRB

Reactions: 25 people

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well, long before I had type 1 diabetes, I occasionally bought sweets ,chocolate etc to eat either as treats or as energy dense food to carry as emergency rations when hill / fell walking. I've never been overweight and have always been very active, so have never had to restrict my calorie intake.
These days, I still buy chocolate and sweets as food to eat during endurance events eg Great Lakeland 3 Day and Keswick to Barrow 40 miles trek, both in May. Being canny with money, I tend to stock up when items are on offer - not buy more overall, just pay less overall.

However, for many people, encouraging them to eat extra chocolate etc isn't what's needed. For some overweight people at risk of developing type 2 diabetes, putting materials about the condition in front of sweets, biscuits etc might be more effective than putting in front of lower calorie vegetables, if they don't eat veggies.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I have just copied and pasted my post to Tesco, Fundraising for diabetes and will await their reply.

RRB:)

Reactions: 15 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

Before we were diabetics and knew very little about it, would we have objected? Tesco is a supermarket and unless DUK intervene and tell them what they must and must not do then let us be grateful for the amount of money they have raised for the benefit of diabetic research.

I didn't know much about diabetes before diagnosis, but perhaps if these fundraisers were more appropriate, it would raise awareness of the condition. Surely raising awareness is as important as raising money? What message is a hamper of Tunnocks Teacakes with a DUK poster above it giving out to the general public?

Reactions: 9 people

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Tesco staff, suppliers and customers have raised £18.6 million for Diabetes UK from their partnership which ran from March 2013 to December 2014. This is the largest amount every raised in a Tesco charity partnership in the UK.

The £18.6 million will fund continuing research, education and awareness programmes to make life better for people with diabetes and reach those at risk of developing Type 2 diabetes. For example, it has helped extend the opening hours of Diabetes UK’s Careline, enabled Diabetes UK’s largest ever advertising campaign to encourage people to check their risk of Type 2 diabetes, and fund the charity’s biggest ever research programme into developing a vaccine for Type 1 diabetes.

Tesco staff raised funds through events in stores, distribution centres and offices around the UK. Suppliers to Tesco supported the partnership through promotions, and Tesco customers also made donations.

http://www.fundraising.co.uk/2015/02/26/tescos-partnership-diabetes-uk-raises-18-6m/

A new partnership between Diabetes UK, the British Heart Foundation and Tesco aims to raise £30 million to fund initiatives that will help people better understand how to lead a healthy lifestyle.

The partnership will run for three years. It is getting underway with Tesco stores around the UK offering free health checks for 40,000 individuals this January. This includes a blood pressure check, a cholesterol test, a Type 2 diabetes test and a BMI (weight) check and takes about 20 minutes.

The campaign was launched with research by YouGov which found in a survey of 2,025 people that just 35% of respondents knew the average man needs to consume 2,500 calories a day to maintain a healthy weight; and 37% knew that 2,000 calories was the equivalent for women.

Eleven per cent of respondents said that they did not do any exercise, and 49% said they did less than the recommended minimum of 150 minutes a week.

The fundraising activity will include Tesco’s sponsorship during 2015 of Diabetes UK’s Swim22 and BHF’s Cycling Events.

http://www.fundraising.co.uk/2015/0...eart-foundation-tesco-three-year-partnership/

This all very laudable, and good news for all diabetics, and I think we all appreciate anything that raises money for research and other things that promote awareness of diabetes, and diabetes issues.

But, the problem people are having here within this thread is the mixed messages that the awareness campaign is sending out to the general population. Diabetes UK actually do some sterling work, BUT their dietry advice , based as it is on the current NHS advice is not helpful. That's not their fault because to a degree they do have to fall in line with what the NHS recommends .

Cynically, I would say that Tesco as individual stores base their decision on where to place DiabetesUK materials where the most sales take place, and sadly this is not by the fruit and veg section :rolleyes: Perhaps the non diabetic population who know very little about it probably wouldn't object for that reason, therefore it is perhaps our role to object, because we know better.

Incidentally, I used to be involved with the Tesco/DiabetesUK fund raising events locally, and it was the job of the local DiabetesUK liaison person ( a volunteer ) to be in touch with Tesco, suggest a display within space limitations, which was invariably overridden and placed on very similar locations to those shown in the pictures. Tesco very kindly (!) offered the prizes for the raffle, but again, these were in the opinion of all the volunteers, inappropriate because they were chosen by Tesco staff members on the basis of seasonal sales appeal, not the possible diet of the people the charity was concerned with . It was somewhat akin to having a display in and prizes from the bakery department for a Coelic charity :rolleyes:.

Signy

Reactions: 14 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
This all very laudable, and good news for all diabetics, and I think we all appreciate anything that raises money for research and other things that promote awareness of diabetes, and diabetes issues.

But, the problem people are having here within this thread is the mixed messages that the awareness campaign is sending out to the general population. Diabetes UK actually do some sterling work, BUT their dietry advice , based as it is on the current NHS advice is not helpful. That's not their fault because to a degree they do have to fall in line with what the NHS recommends .

Cynically, I would say that Tesco as individual stores base their decision on where to place DiabetesUK materials where the most sales take place, and sadly this is not by the fruit and veg section :rolleyes: Perhaps the non diabetic population who know very little about it probably wouldn't object for that reason, therefore it is perhaps our role to object, because we know better.

Incidentally, I used to be involved with the Tesco/DiabetesUK fund raising events locally, and it was the job of the local DiabetesUK liaison person ( a volunteer ) to be in touch with Tesco, suggest a display within space limitations, which was invariably overridden and placed on very similar locations to those shown in the pictures. Tesco very kindly (!) offered the prizes for the raffle, but again, these were in the opinion of all the volunteers, inappropriate because they were chosen by Tesco staff members on the basis of seasonal sales appeal, not the possible diet of the people the charity was concerned with . It was somewhat akin to having a display in and prizes from the bakery department for a Coelic charity :rolleyes:.

Signy

Your last sentence hits it big time with me as well. If you or anyone else would like the email address for the Tesco diabetes fundraising charity, then please pm me.

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
And I have just seen the above pictures in my FaceBook , circulated as humour. So clearly the general population does have more knowledge about diabetes than we may think, and the irony in the pictures is understood.

That's not really the message Tesco and DiabetesUK, really want to get across, I would have thought :rolleyes:

Signy

Reactions: 6 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
And I have just seen the above pictures in my FaceBook , circulated as humour. So clearly the general population does have more knowledge about diabetes than we may think, and the irony in the pictures is understood.

That's not really the message Tesco and DiabetesUK, really want to get across, I would have thought :rolleyes:

Signy

Exactly

Best wishes RRB

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
All publicity is good publicity. Does the end justify the means? Yes. Marketing is just showbiz. It has little to do with reality -- in fact, reality is the enemy of marketing. The displays shown here will be effective if they remain, and will generate more publicity if they are removed through protest, so win-win for everyone.
That's the bottom line.

Reactions: 4 people
K

Kat100

I am going to look in my tesco when I go in later in the week , so far have seen this on FB and here ...
I know a few ladies who work there always like to have a little chat ..
One showed me her needles etc and tells me how she is doing ....she does seem supported by tesco ,,a really sweet lady , but will she change her eating habits Noooo .....like so many people ...they find it so hard to change.....or make small changes :(

Reactions: 4 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

I don't agree with DUK's desire to keep raising money for research whilst doing so little to raise awareness of the Do's an Don'ts and not promoting the best diets, not recognising LADA and so on. I really think they have their prioritys wrong despite being a DUK 'member'. Read this month's Balance mag for some examples.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I think a lot of you need to take a reality check and accept that Tesco have done an incredible job in raising a huge sum of money for Diabetes UK that is being spent to benefit all diabetics, and regarding a raffle with a prise of chocy biscuits whats the problem with that are they only supposed to raffle things that low carbers eat, yeah they'd really sell a lot of tickets wouldnt they? Most people would prefer to win a treat than a packet of something that s good for them.

Personally I dont care how they raise money and continue to do so, some people on here need to take a step back and realise its not just about them.

Reactions: 13 people