Diabetes Week

faygawith

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am a Human nutrition graduate and I also have type 1 diabetes. My friend works in the pharmacy at our local Tesco. They are participating in Diabetes week from the 8th-14th of June.
I have been asked to participate in some activities during this week and I was just wondering if anyone has any ideas of what could be done to raise awareness of diabetes to the general public. I have some ideas but would love to hear any from other people. It could be demonstrations, activities or any thing that could raise awareness in some way.

Thankyou :)

Fay

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Quite simply reduce the carbohydrates in your diet and don't worry about fats. Tesco could well learn from this :)

Reactions: 2 people

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
The most common misconception from the public is that we can't eat sugar, not many are aware that it's actually carbs that are a huge problem too. Perhaps some posters/visual aids comparing carb content from common items that people associate with diabetes such as cakes/biscuits and compare them with uncommon foods such as rice/pasta etc.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Publicize the fact that not all type 2 diabetics are fat and lazy and have therefore brought their problem upon themselves.

From an elderly, untypical, fat and rather lazy type 2 diabetic...:D

Robbity

Reactions: 2 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Maybe some people in fancy dress to help pack the shopping at the checkout.... That's always a winner..!

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 people

dukeys mummy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Publicize the fact that not all type 2 diabetics are fat and lazy and have therefore brought their problem upon themselves.

From an elderly, untypical, fat and rather lazy type 2 diabetic...:D

Robbity
I am a type 1 I work and am by no means lazy people just don't understand u mention diabetes they automatically think over eats and over indulging not the case I hate eating and injecting but have no choice

Rhi rhi

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I am not diabetic my husband is type 1 mother in law and father in law both type one sister in law type 2 brother type 1 I am very aware that carbs are evil lol my brother has been doing carb counting and has reduced his insulin so much that he has a pump and no longer injects well only to top up the pump so carb counting works really works I would like to see more information about this program available to the public as my husbands got a lot of damage from diabetes and has been made partially blind as a result so carb awareness is my input :)