Diabetes: What We Have All Been Taught Was Incurable. Obesity-related Hyperglycemia Ain’t Necessaril

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
In the December 5, 2017 issue of The Lancet (a widely respected British medical journal) a study was published that showed that, after 12 months of weight loss with a strict low carb diet, half of the patients in the treatment arm of the study were cured of their diabetes. Cures occurred in spite of the fact that every member of the treatment arm had their anti-diabetic and anti-hypertensive drugs abruptly discontinued on day one. The matched control group continued to follow the “community standard of care” which involved continuing to take their synthetic hypoglycemic and anti-hypertensive maintenance drugs – which offered no hope of cure.

While half of the previously diagnosed Type 2 diabetic patients in the treatment group achieved complete remission of their diabetes, the patients with the largest weight losses were the ones that did the best. Indeed, about 90% of the treatment group that lost at least 15 kilograms over the year-long trial period achieved complete remission. Interestingly, 4% of the control group achieved “remission” over the 12 months.

In other words, significant numbers of the patients in the “Type 2 diabetes” treatment group had become non-diabetic, They had been cured of a disorder (actually “obesity-related hyperglycemia”) that I and my med school classmates had been taught was incurable.

The myth about the permanence and incurability of Type 2 diabetes has been repeatedly reinforced for me and most American physicians ever since our training. The m>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> https://www.globalresearch.ca/diabe...emia-aint-necessarily-type-2-diabetes/5627053

What do you think?

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
From the references, the study they are referring to is the Newcastle diet - v low calorie low but not v low carb

bangkokdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
My First point is Not All Type 2 Diabetes Patients are or were Overweight Secondly If a Patient manages to get their Blood Sugar Levels under control Does this mean its cured or just Under Control.
To Me if I have pneumonia and I take my meds and its cured means I Can get back to my pre pneumonia Lifestyle and it wont come back maybe for years.
Whereas with My Blood Sugar Control. I don't believe I can stop My Control or my BS Levels will go back up. but cannot return to my old Lifestyle. Therefor not cured but Well Controlled

rmz80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Don't forget to include people miss diagnosed as type 1 who were really type 2, (as I was)

Reactions: ringi and Olufisayo

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think that my weightloss is about 18 or 19 kg, over 40lb anyway, so my present state of normal is to be expected, but I consider myself simply unable to cope with a modern diet - no splitting hairs about remission/cure/etc. even though my choice for my description is limited.
By keeping to low carb - even though I know that I don't need to avoid carbs to the extent I do, I am avoiding the things which increase my weight. I also feel so much better and have restored my energy levels, my joints don't ache - I am even going to be teaching again.

Bittern

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have lost 20kG and my meds have stopped using Gliclacide and Linagliptin, just Metformin left. Unfortunately the weight loss has stalled even though I average 60g carbs per day. Yeh I know for some of you thats not low enough.

bangkokdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Reactions: Olufisayo

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Most things on this forum Have been debated time and time again Do Not Forget The Recently joined Members who Have not read every Previous Post/Thread It Is The Nature of The Beast

That’s why i put in the link.
It is an excellent thread with some very good info and discussions.

Reactions: lindijanice

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That’s why i put in the link.
It is an excellent thread with some very good info and discussions.
The reason some seemingly endless repeating topics like the cure / remission / reversal?... ones is that its nearlly always the same people repeatadly saying the same things and replaying the same arguements which is a tad boring. It would be a lot more helpfull if people go to the original thread and re-open it by hitting reply if they have something significantly new to say / share

Last edited:

rmz80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Another aspect of these studies is that it’s easy for people to associate these “cures” with a particular type of diet whether its called LCHF, Liverpool, 1000 cal or a fad diet endorsed by a Hollywood film star.

The point is: it’s the loosing of weight that has achieved the cure NOT the name of the diet or am I missing something?

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
It wasn't loosing weight for me.
I was never overweight in my life except for a very short period of a few months due to tablet side effects.
That sent me from my twenty five years at 14 st to 18 st in a matter of weeks.
I'm just under 6' 3" or was.
I have never gotten back to 14st and at my age I don't expect to.
Plus I am now no longer active.and use a wheelchair.
I think statins kicked off my T2 certainly not sugar or binging because I've never been into crisps sweets fizzy drinks and still aren't.
My GP said she would never imagine me being diagnosed T2
The statins were for a very brief period as I ditched them due to not tolerating them.
My fantastic control isn't down to drugs I don't take them.
Low carb high fat with the high fat being an exaggeration I prefer to call it normal fat as in full fat everything like people used to eat before the industrialisation of our food.
I don't consider myself cured ... it's still there lurking as far as I'm concerned.

Reactions: MrsGruffy

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Another aspect of these studies is that it’s easy for people to associate these “cures” with a particular type of diet whether its called LCHF, Liverpool, 1000 cal or a fad diet endorsed by a Hollywood film star.

The point is: it’s the loosing of weight that has achieved the cure NOT the name of the diet or am I missing something?
Weight gain is a symptom of T2, not a cause. Weight loss (by whatever method) has a measure of benefit regarding T2 especially if one loses visceral fat but weight loss alone is not enough to put Diabetes into remission. Carbohydrate intake has to be lowered.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

not the losing weight. I have been stable for 6+ years and i still weigh almost as much as I did and am morbidly obese. Its the lowering of carbs that does it.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

My diabetes education team were baffled as I went from Hba1c 91 to 47 in 80 days and hardly lost any weight - but since then I have lost almost 40lb - the weight went as I had normalized my BG, not the reverse, using that fad diet by that quack Atkins who has to be a charlatan despite so many successful outcomes. Or is that fake news?

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My diabetes education team were baffled as I went from Hba1c 91 to 47 in 80 days and hardly lost any weight - but since then I have lost almost 40lb - the weight went as I had normalized my BG, not the reverse, using that fad diet by that quack Atkins who has to be a charlatan despite so many successful outcomes. Or is that fake news?

Similarly it is often noted that patients who went through bariatric surgery has normlized glucose BEFORE any notable weight loss. So that may suggest the normalization of glucose/insulin levels leads to the weight/fats loss...not the other way around.

And the carbs/insulin model would suggest that it is the reduction and normalization of insulin levels that enhances fats metabolism. So any diet, lifestyle that is insulin lowering will help put us back on the journey to recovery.

Hotpepper20000

After years of eating “healthy” and exercising like mad with out having any success I have lost 60 pounds.
It was only after I was diagnosed with type 2 worked hard to bring my BG down to non diabetic levels that I had success with weight loss.
In my opinion, first it’s important to control BG then the weight loss will follow.