Type 2 diabetes

bauline

Type of diabetes
Type 2
why have i been told by my diabetes nurse at my doctors that you only test your bloods if you are type 1 yet the web page say we should test every day if your type 1 or type 2

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
The official NICE guidelines do not recommend testing for T2's. Forum members think it essential for good control.

Reactions: 2 people

Kyi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi bauline,
NICE Guidelines are in favour of type 1s testing because they need to take their medicine based on their current sugar readings. They need to test to find that out. Type 2's that make their insulin can be tested every 3 months to get the average of blood sugar levels based on Red blood cells. Its a cost cutting exercise that type 2's do not need to know how their blood sugars are. The type 2s on this forum find it is vital to measure your bg to bring them into the "normal" range. If you are measuring your bloods and see that they are high you can do something about it before waiting for the sugar to damage your body. We use the tests to cut back on the number of carbohydrates in our diets to bring the sugar down to an acceptable level. This is not recommended by the NICE people who recommend everyone eats 1/4 of their eat well plate as carbohydrates. If I did this Id be in the 15+ range for Blood glucose dangerously high and damaging to my body. By measuring my blood sugars, I can tell when Im high and cut back on my carbohydrates. Because NICE guidelines do not support what I do I pay for my own. Its my body and I will not let others tell me what is good for me and potentially put myself in a bad situation while I wait for a 3 month test.

Reactions: 9 people

bauline

Type of diabetes
Type 2
i have my own machine but were do i get the cheapest test strips for it as i am on disability benefits and can not afford a lot off money

Kyi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sadly all machines use different test stips. We would need to know the brand of machine to see where the cheapest source was. If the machine had expensive strips, it could be cheaper in the long run to buy a new tester.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
would be cheeper in the long run to invest in a SD code free meter from home health.

Kyi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Definitive better to buy a new meter. Those are expensive strips.