Diabetic Amyotrophy

jwilki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
First a little history
I was diagnosed Type 2 in 1995 and had good diet control and over a few years I had to start taking tablets for control and in 2007 had an operation and things went a little crazy and I ended up having to control my sugars with insulin. In November last year sugars went crazy for no apparent reason and I was admitted to hospital (17 Days). Blood sugars are still on the high side and I have to take on average 24 units of rapid prior to any meal and 50 units of Lantus at night at present sugars vary from 5 - 11.
I started to get severe pain in my legs, numb feet when walking and weakness in my legs resulting in difficulty in walking, mostly lifting legs to get up kerbs / steps. I have been seen by a Neurologist today and after a lot of electric testing and big needles in to legs he has diagnosed "Diabetic Amyotrophy" with a "Cronic Neurogenic Pattern seen by Chronic Neurogenic Lesion" This I diagnose as pain during night and pain while walking.

Any advice welcome

Jack

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
An extract from just one website about:

Treatment of diabetic amyotrophy
Diabetic amyotrophy is very much reversible. This can be done by taking various measures.

Controlling your blood sugar levels is the most important part of treating diabetic amyotrophy.
•Proper eating habits, medication, physical exercise, good mental health and avoiding harmful habits like drinking, smoking etc all form a part of the lifestyle to control diabetes.
•Physical therapy to restore the nerves in the legs is very useful. Physical therapy brings back feeling in the legs.
•Medication helps reduce the pain involved in diabetic amyotrophy.

Here is a link to the full short, but informative article.
http://diabetes.ygoy.com/2009/16/diabet ... treatment/

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
If insulin isn't keeping your Bg down enough, you could always try very reduced carbs. keep testing and reduce your insulin if necessary.
If you are in pain, it's definitely worth a go.
Another idea. Do you have a good sports centre nearby, where ther's an exercise therapist? These folks often work alongside physios and can be extremely helpful. At my local authority owned Sports Centre, there are classes for people with health iswsues and an excellent sports therapist, who I know works on the Stroke Unit and with MS patients as well as others.
I know it sounds as if a person with muscle problems and chronic pain can't exercise, but a good exercise therapist can tailor the activities.
I find nothin taakes the aches out of my muscles like a bit of exercise( but then mine are basically OK

Namron

Hi
Your story is very much like mine, I was put on Vitoza last year and this brought my weight down and controlled my blood sugars, however I now understand that 1% of dieabetics can get Amyotropy.
by using these type of drugs the problem is that it is so rare not many medical personal know the condition, also there is no hard and fast rules to combat it, as you may be aware the pain is horific and for the first two months I could not walk at all but gradualy I am managine to walk they recon that it will take a year to recover,they have puy me on Gabapentin and solpadol but these help with the pain but send me to sleep as it is so rare I think that it is trial and error,but will keep you informed ifthey do find a suitable cure

Norman Goodman

jwilki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi
Just thought I would give an update on my Amyotrophy.
Still very painful and now down to using a zimmer frame to walk. Under constant checks with doctor and neuologist and we think some progress is being made but they are talking a very long time, over two years expect some improvement.
I go to physio for 3 hours everyday and this is helping with balance and pain control. The company I work for is being very good about all of this and say get back when I can.
I have accepted this is going to be a long drawn out process but I am sure it will all get better in the future. If anyone need any advice on this please let me know and I will see if I can help.

Jack

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Jack.
Glad to hear that things seem to be looking up for you.......stick with it. :D

Ken

janabelle

Dislikes
Lack of choice of insulin for newly diagnosed patients.
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
Hi Jack,
You are on lantus, and pain is a commonly reported side-effect. May not be the cause of yours as you've already had a diagnosis,but bear it in mind. when I was on Lantus I was mis-diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, by an expert in the field :? , and I know others who've had same experience unfortunately.
Please have a look at this thread viewtopic.php?f=26&t=2797 Kewgirl's postings are particularly interesting.
Also this info, not a clickable link, but you can cut & paste it into your web browswer. medications.com/se/lantus
Take care
Jus :)

psft001

I had issues starting a couple of years ago with pain in my left leg & hip together with numbness etc very similar to you. I knew I needed to loose weight so simply started walking more (not taking kids to school in the car, walking to shops etc). To start with it was painful and a bloody hard slog but I persisted and I've lost weight, got my BG's down and now get only occasional mild aching in my left leg (never had it in my right - touch wood) usually only when I've overdone the walking a bit.
Reading similar cases on this site and others I think you just have to try different things and see what works best for you - fingers crossed you'll find something that works for you soon - good luck