Diabetic and autistic

BekkiG74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was just wondering if there are any other parents on here that have children that are diabetic and also autistic.

My little girl is autistic and was diagnosed a few weeks ago with T1. The DN seems to think that autistic children in many cases cope better than those without autism , so I was just wondering if other parents have found this too?

Bex

sus and my little boy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
I was just wondering if there are any other parents on here that have children that are diabetic and also autistic.

My little girl is autistic and was diagnosed a few weeks ago with T1. The DN seems to think that autistic children in many cases cope better than those without autism , so I was just wondering if other parents have found this too?

Bex
Hey there, my sons just been diagnosed with T1 diabetes in November.

How old is your little girl? It's tough isn't it?

What were the signs showing that your little girle was autistic ? My sons coming up for 3 and not a great talker and getting a little concerned.

BekkiG74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there!

Yes it is very hard, just when I though we had it all Sussed , we have apparently entered the honeymoon period which is anything but a honey moon , it's a nightmare and we are having 2or 3 hypos a day!!

My little girl is 9 and coping far better than I thought she would. As for the autism , I knew from when she was a baby that something wasn't right and definitely by the time she was 3. However girls and boys present very differently with autism and I fought for years to get someone to listen to me. I was told I was a bad parent and needed lessons in parenting and told I was exaggerating! Eventually when she was 7 and with the help from her school she was tested and got a full asd diagnosis.

The problem you may have is that your little one is still so young that they will keep passing it off. The best advice I can give you is that if you really feel something is wrong then keep on going to your gp and nursery staff etc and log everything down as much as you can because eventually it will build a picture.

If I can help in anyway at all....even if you just need a rant then don't hesitate to contact me

Good luck and stay strong!

Bex

sus and my little boy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there!

Yes it is very hard, just when I though we had it all Sussed , we have apparently entered the honeymoon period which is anything but a honey moon , it's a nightmare and we are having 2or 3 hypos a day!!

My little girl is 9 and coping far better than I thought she would. As for the autism , I knew from when she was a baby that something wasn't right and definitely by the time she was 3. However girls and boys present very differently with autism and I fought for years to get someone to listen to me. I was told I was a bad parent and needed lessons in parenting and told I was exaggerating! Eventually when she was 7 and with the help from her school she was tested and got a full asd diagnosis.

The problem you may have is that your little one is still so young that they will keep passing it off. The best advice I can give you is that if you really feel something is wrong then keep on going to your gp and nursery staff etc and log everything down as much as you can because eventually it will build a picture.

If I can help in anyway at all....even if you just need a rant then don't hesitate to contact me

Good luck and stay strong!

Bex[/
Thanks! Glad your daughter is coping with it ok. My son is very good also it's me that's finding it hard to accept. He's also in honeymoon period. He has good levels one day and erratic readings others days. He's getting pump fitted in April and hoping it will be a better way of living for him. I can't stand hypos and it's very hard that my son can't communicate and let me know when he's not feeling right. Xx

BekkiG74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That must be so hard for you with the lack of communication from your little boy.
Hypos are scary though , fingers crossed our little ones will settle down quickly, which will hopefully mean you and I will get our heads round it all a bit more

Keep smiling :)

sus and my little boy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you have diabetes in your family?

I've been do strong but hit a brick wall last week. Never had so many emotions in my life. You seem to be coping great, and good for you

I

BekkiG74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh honestly I'm really not coping so well , I feel completely done in by it all and because her dad and I aren't together anymore I'm doing it all alone and feel completely out of my depth....hence why I joined this forum just so I didn't go completely insane!

No we have no diabetes in the family , do you?

sus and my little boy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you stay in edinburgh?

Yeah my dad's brother got type1 at the age of 9. My cousin got diagnosed two years ago at the age of 22.

Yeah same here, pretty much on my own and my family can't get to grips with it , so it's tough.

It's so good to talk to people who know how you feel as friends have a vague look on there faces as they no idea how your feeling. X

BekkiG74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I completely understand and it is so lovely to be able to talk to others that really do understand what you're going through!

Unfortunately I have never been to Edinburgh , I'm from down south in North Essex , do you ever get down this way at all?

sus and my little boy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Aw nice. Was down Essex years ago with an ex I totally loved Essex but unfortunately never been back.

Aw that's a shame we are not closer as I'd love to meet people who understands us.

Your doing a great job! Pray for a cure every night xx

BekkiG74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been here for 19 years now , hated it at first but love it now!

It's a great shame that we're not closer but let's stay In touch via here?!

And yes pray for a cure! :)

sus and my little boy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes definitely☺️ that would be good.

Is your daughter back at school yet after diagnosis?

How are you getting on with the weighing of food and carbs? I went for lunch with little one and it turned into a disaster. He ended up hypoing as food took so long to come, and when it did he wouldn't eat it! X

BekkiG74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes she was in hospital on the Monday and back in school by the Thursday! She was freaking out about missing any school work , but that's the autism kicking in. The diabetes team were excellent and made sure they had been in and trained the staff so she could get back in quickly!

We are having loads of hypos at the moment though but I take my hat off to the school as they have been amazing at dealing with it all!

We haven't even started carb counting yet.....I'm dreading it as I'm confused enough as it is already!

sus and my little boy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Aw that's brilliant. Diabetes team been great here too.

My heads bursting with it all too! Never out kitchen and always thinking about his next meal.

Has her friends been good with her? X

BekkiG74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My head is constantly spinning and I'm constantly shopping too! All the extra stuff costs a fortune!

Her friends have been really good with her and they all think it's really cool , as it's all new , I just hope they stick by her as it becomes old news!

Has you little boys friends been ok about it as I presume they are all quite young still? X

sus and my little boy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
It is expensive isn't it, Have you applied for dla?

So pleased her friends are good with her. That's so nice. It has been a worry for me incase he gets picked on for being different.

Yeah they are still very young. Some ask what I'm doing and I just say he's having his magic medicine x

BekkiG74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Aww that's so sweet! Hopefully it will become second nature to them and their friends as they grow up!

I already get dla due to the autism but they told me to reapply for more , I haven't done it yet though , have you? X

sus and my little boy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Yeah I hope so I'm probably worrying over nothing but that's what mummy's do.

Yeah Iv applied but not getting help until he turns 3. Yeah reapply as your entitled to both.

Has your daughter been hypoing during the night? I'm constantly checking the wee man. Exhausted lol x

BekkiG74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
We wouldn't be good mums if we didn't worry about every detail though!

I will apply I just find the form very daunting!

I've only had to check once in the night for hypos but have a feeling that may change as they are coming thick and fast at the moment :-( x

sus and my little boy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
I know I hate paper work lol

Aw I hope she's ok during the night.

It's been lovely chatting to you.

It's great to speak to someone who understands xx