Diabetic Blisters

kayleigh39

Hi,

My dad is a type II diabetic, not from being overweight (he's tall and slim).

Today he woke up to find this huge blister on his foot...

10269513_713924412000625_7251868942374990342_n.jpg

He has now noticed that his other ankle where he had a severe burn, 3 years ago has started to form a red area which is very painful... looks like a blister could be forming...

10371420_713924425333957_94431130624024828_n.jpg

He is controlling his blood sugar through tablets, statins, Gliclaside and Metformin - so why has he got these?

Thanks in advance.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bump!
Sorry, can't comment myself, but hopefully someone will arrive with some info soon...

Does your dad have a blood glucose monitor?

Does he know his latest HBbA1c blood test results?

Are the blisters painful?

Could his shoes have rubbed?

Does he have any numbness, tingling or burning in his feet?

Has he seen a doctor?

mollycat1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
can`t think of any !
Morning ! Watching this thread with interest and wondered how your Dad is now ? Did he manage to see his GP ?

kayleigh39

Hi all,

Managed to get dad into the doctors today, had a battle with the surgery to actually get him in! The so-called diabetic nurse just looked at it and called the doctor in. Doctor didnt even look for 5 seconds and went to give him penicillin (which he is allergic to). Dressed it and said absolutely nothing about it. He has to go back just to change the dressing on Wednesday, but it has gone drastically worse!

I apologise in advance for the photos... The swelling is so much worse than when he went into the doctors. He had pain and swelling up to the lower shin this morning, now its spread through the back of his leg, has no ankle, and pain right up by his knee - which is obviously spreading inside. We really don't know what to do!

You can see the physical red swelling growing up his leg, his toe is purple and the nail on the big toe is white with purple in it!

10311075_716014178458315_324500695607231420_n.jpg

Here you can see the swelling has eaten his ankle....

10342963_716014215124978_5747744468901402622_n.jpg

He is struggling to walk and is in so much pain!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If I were you I would get him to an emergency walk-in centre or A&E this evening.
Did you ask him what his blood sugar levels are like? You say he controls them with medication, but how well are they controlled? What were his last results, and does he monitor his levels with a meter at home?

Reactions: 3 people

kayleigh39

He is controlling his blood sugar through oral medication and last reading was a normal (for him) 8-ish. His bloods don't fluctuate much from day to day.

It's really bad that I had to read the antibiotics leaflet to know that dad has to stop taking 'Slimvastatin', she didn't even tell us this! She didn't understand that diabetics get blisters - I had to tell her!!!

:)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I still think you should get him to A&E or an emergency centre this evening. You can't be too careful with foot problems when you are diabetic. It may be nothing to do with his diabetes, it could be some other problem that anti-biotics will help with, but you can't be sure.

Reactions: 2 people