'diabetic breakfast' on Eurostar

desidiabulum

Ordered special diabetic breakfast on Eurostar last week. Was served the following:

1 glass orange juice
1 white bread roll (seeded)
jam
1 small dish of fruit in syrup (pineapple, mango, melon, grapes)
coffee
(I was also offered an almond croissant).

My partner's non-diabetic breakfast was the same as mine, except that she got a fruit yoghurt and a croissant, and didn't get the dish of fruit.

The coffee was nice.

cath99

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
rude d/n nurses and being treated like im wierd because im diabetic
omg thats shocking i wouldnt touch none of that .bloody nhs guidence again telling us we can eat anything in moderation , i choose low carb and have never looked back , if i were alone to drink the juice they be picking me up from the ceilings maybe write in and challenge it ? x

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I never ask for diabetic meals as few organisations have any idea about a suitable diabetic diet. Yes, the NHS and many others including DUK do nothing to improve upon the unbelievable ignorance out there.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Ordered special diabetic breakfast on Eurostar last week. Was served the following:

1 glass orange juice
1 white bread roll (seeded)
jam
1 small dish of fruit in syrup (pineapple, mango, melon, grapes)
coffee
(I was also offered an almond croissant).

My partner's non-diabetic breakfast was the same as mine, except that she got a fruit yoghurt and a croissant, and didn't get the dish of fruit.

The coffee was nice.
I would have complained there and then in the nicest possible way.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Today we went to la tasca - the great thing is that there are plenty of tapas I can eat. The only meat I eat is chicken breast (thighs if I really have to) bacon without fat and sausages. Could happily give that up. Mostly eat veggie or fish. We booked the table on line and nothing was said about mothers day menu only. I pointed this out to the waitress and explained that I was diabetic. She offered me all the usual rice etc. and said that was the only food available today. So I asked to speak to the manager and explained why we'd come and my diabetes. They were then lovely so in the end we had lovely diabetic friendly food. Needless to say, we left a generous tip!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
No I wouldn't eat that for breakfast and I don't have to be as careful with the carbs as some might. I think they are trying to stick with the continental breakfast theme but have got it badly wrong, just out of interest desidiabulum what were you expecting for your diabetic breakfast?

desidiabulum

I only ever complain in the nicest possible way.;) This was an improvement on last year, in that they didn't include the croissant. A year ago when I complained they managed to dig up some pepperoni and bits of cheese, bless 'em. This time I just shrugged and enjoyed the view (and the coffee). I don't normally ask for diabetic meals, but when I am getting a free meal and I am invited to indicate a dietary preference I go ahead just to generate material for diabetes forums. I suppose my point would be that I should be able to pay less for my fare if they can't provide me with things that I can eat. I don't really blame Eurostar, though. I suspect that Daibell is right and that they may be sincerely following what A Certain Charity recommends as a suitable diabetic meal -- that is where the changes need to happen.

Reactions: 5 people

desidiabulum

No I wouldn't eat that for breakfast and I don't have to be as careful with the carbs as some might. I think they are trying to stick with the continental breakfast theme but have got it badly wrong, just out of interest desidiabulum what were you expecting for your diabetic breakfast?
Sorry noblehead, our posts crossed. Ideally I would have liked plain yoghurt and berries -- I don't think that would have been difficult for Eurostar to provide, and I don't think they would have minded providing it (remember non-diabetics got flavoured yoghurt, and the provision of the fruit bowl was a genuine attempt to be helpful). Or a bit of ham and cheese, which is continental breakfast on the Dutch model. Or just a bag of peanuts. There are no problems of supply or expense here -- just a simple lack of proper information about diabetes.

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Sorry noblehead, our posts crossed. Ideally I would have liked plain yoghurt and berries -- I don't think that would have been difficult for Eurostar to provide, and I don't think they would have minded providing it (remember non-diabetics got flavoured yoghurt, and the provision of the fruit bowl was a genuine attempt to be helpful). Or a bit of ham and cheese, which is continental breakfast on the Dutch model. Or just a bag of peanuts. There are no problems of supply or expense here -- just a simple lack of proper information about diabetes.

Yes well that would continue along the continental breakfast theme :)

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I only ever complain in the nicest possible way.;) This was an improvement on last year, in that they didn't include the croissant. A year ago when I complained they managed to dig up some pepperoni and bits of cheese, bless 'em. This time I just shrugged and enjoyed the view (and the coffee). I don't normally ask for diabetic meals, but when I am getting a free meal and I am invited to indicate a dietary preference I go ahead just to generate material for diabetes forums. I suppose my point would be that I should be able to pay less for my fare if they can't provide me with things that I can eat. I don't really blame Eurostar, though. I suspect that Daibell is right and that they may be sincerely following what A Certain Charity recommends as a suitable diabetic meal -- that is where the changes need to happen.
Me too. I play on their guilt. Lol. Yes I am evil!
image.jpg

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
We normally get home made pasties for breakfast on the Eurostar... The beef skirt filling is lovely!

AlexMBrennan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
suspect that Daibell is right and that they may be sincerely following what A Certain Charity recommends as a suitable diabetic meal -- that is where the changes need to happen.
If that's the case then why would they recommend that you do not order "diabetic meals" because they may be unsuitable for diabetics?

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
If that's the case then why would they recommend that you do not order "diabetic meals" because they may be unsuitable for diabetics?
Because they follow the diet provided by the NHS so that they can't get sued. If people want to eat that - fine. However many of us choose to low carb and there is plenty of medical evidence to support our argument.

kesun

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
just out of interest desidiabulum what were you expecting for your diabetic breakfast?
If it were me, I'd have expected pretty much what was served: my experience of "diabetic" meals is low-fat, low-salt, high carb but with sweetener instead of sugar and including fruit or fruit juice. In hospitals as well as on aeroplanes. Except one flight which offered the option "vegetarian diabetic", when I got a delicious vegetable omelette.

Kate

desidiabulum

Reactions: 4 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Not even bacon,eggs,bangers,mushroomsand a few toms on offer? *Sob*

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
If it were me, I'd have expected pretty much what was served: my experience of "diabetic" meals is low-fat, low-salt, high carb but with sweetener instead of sugar and including fruit or fruit juice. In hospitals as well as on aeroplanes. Except one flight which offered the option "vegetarian diabetic", when I got a delicious vegetable omelette.

Kate

I can't say what they are like Kate, never ordered a diabetic meal as I just eat the same meals as anyone else except the puddings (I'm type 1).

D

Deleted member 101090