Diabetic Gastro paresis

newhaventeddy

Hi I would like to hear from anyone who has this condition and how they cope with it. I was diagnosed as diabetic after suffering for many years from chronic pancreatitus and after an endoscopy I was told I have this digestive problem in 2002, at that time I was classed as type 2 but since have had my pancreas,duodenum and spleen removed in december 2003 so am now actually an enforced type 1 diabetic and use insulin injections to control this. I have been prescribed erythromycin to help with this and told to follow a high G.I. diet. Any tips or just someone else who knows what it is like to have this condition and how they are coping would be welcome.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Bernstein has quite a bit on this problem

ChocFish

I was suffering from gastroparesis, my symptoms were daily vomiting of undigested food, sweating, constipation, stomach pains, permanent nausea...my doctor prescribed all sorts of medication but it didnt really help much, I found it helpful to eat small meals and chew really, really well or liquidise fruit/veg, anything soft or mashed stayed down too, but only ever in small quantities.
I found the condition was even worse whenever my bg was really high (in the 20s) and a bit easier if I managed to keep bg under 20, having said that in those days I never had any readings in single figures. What is your bg like, do you take supplements? I wonder if you are deficient in vitamins/minerals, since you have had your pancreas, duodenum and spleen removed, does that mean you have to keep on taking antibiotics all the time? Sorry if I am sounding ignorant there, but if you have to keep taking medication and missing organs could maybe cause some deficiencies?

Anyway at the time I had totally uncontrolled diabetes, a long story, but I have since managed to get a grip on myself, this has eventually also cured all my neuropathy symptoms and my stomach now works fine as a result.

All the best, I hope you get better soon

Karen

KimSuzanne

Do you take Creon? I had my pancreas and gallbladder removed 8 years ago at 16 years old - still got my spleen tho! I get a lot of pain with difficult to digest foods and occasionally vomit if something just doesn't want to go down. I agree that small meals and chewing all food well and eating slowly does help me!

Dislikes
I dislike people who don't have a positive attitude to life and the living of it.
Hi Everyone,
I have been suffering with gastroparesis since 2000, although only officialy diagnosed in 2005. Unfortunately my gastroparesis is refractory to all the treatments that have been tried including botox injections to the pyloric sphincter. I vomit 10-20 times every day and am normally admitted to hospital as an emergency every 2-3 weeks due to acute renal failure caused by dehydration which in turn is caused by the continual vomiting.
My Conultants have told me I need to have a Gastric Electrical Stimulator fitted but as it's a fairly new procedure it's not yet approved by NICE and not funded by the NHS, therefore I've had to go to my local PCT for funding. The PCT have refused to fund the operation and now I'm appealing against their decision but I don't hold out much hope.
My diabetes has never been a problem for me and my HbA1c's have always been very good and in single figures throughout the 31 years I've been a diabetic so it's a bit of a mystery how I developed gastroparesis although the consultants think it may be that I play the Trumpet for my living (when I'm well enough, which isn't very often anymore).
I'd love to hear from anyone on this topic, this is truly the worst condition imaginable to deal with and any support/advice would be greatly appreciated.
Best Wishes to you all.
Stuart

Nemo

I had a really bad bout of this in 2001. It got to the point where I couldn't even keep water down and was basically vomitting acidic stomach contents which burned my mouth and lips quite badly. I was in hospital for a week with an NG tube (which did nothing to stop me vomitting orally) and IV fluids/vitamins and antibiotics, before they diagnosed gastro paresis. I was then given TPN feeding for about 5 days to give my stomach total rest and was completely nil by mouth. It was bloody horrible. Now I have bouts where I can literally feel my stomach slowing down and I just tend to eat very little until I feel back to normal. I do not take any medication since that one bad bout.