diabetic ketoacidosis and covid-19

DCB 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Carry out out pizza commercials on the TV and people bringing in a fresh box of glazed donuts to work !!! (They are evil)
Disclaimer: This is based on what I was able read, this thing with Cov-19 is so new we are constantly learning new things

Diabetic ketoacidosis precipitated by Covid-19 in a patient with newly diagnosed diabetes mellitus. Basically it outlines how the virus blocks insulin and how it was treated
2.If you on meds that are ace-inhibitors that could cause ketoacidosis. DKA can make it challenging to manage your fluid intake and electrolyte levels—which is important in managing sepsis. Sepsis and septic shock are some of the more serious complications that some people with COVID-19 have experienced.

What I am doing:
  1. If I am sick I plan to test my blood sugar every 3 hours.If it reaches 240 mg/dl, during that time will keep a log of the results, I will get myself to the hospital. Currently my numbers are normal so if they suddenly go high something is wrong. I am planing on talking with my doctor about it during my 3 month followup next week.
  2. Have a good supply of test and ketone strips available so I could catch the problem early and be able to provide data when I talk with my doctor.
Other people may have their own opinions on this, but wanted to pass on what I know.

Yes I am from across the pond

Dave

meoman

Disclaimer: This is based on what I was able read, this thing with Cov-19 is so new we are constantly learning new things

Diabetic ketoacidosis precipitated by Covid-19 in a patient with newly diagnosed diabetes mellitus. Basically it outlines how the virus blocks insulin and how it was treated
2.If you on meds that are ace-inhibitors that could cause ketoacidosis. DKA can make it challenging to manage your fluid intake and electrolyte levels—which is important in managing sepsis. Sepsis and septic shock are some of the more serious complications that some people with COVID-19 have experienced.

What I am doing:
  1. If I am sick I plan to test my blood sugar every 3 hours.If it reaches 240 mg/dl, during that time will keep a log of the results, I will get myself to the hospital. Currently my numbers are normal so if they suddenly go high something is wrong. I am planing on talking with my doctor about it during my 3 month followup next week.
  2. Have a good supply of test and ketone strips available so I could catch the problem early and be able to provide data when I talk with my doctor.
Other people may have their own opinions on this, but wanted to pass on what I know.

Yes I am from across the pond

Dave
Dave, so grateful for info. THANKYOU. Keep Safe

DCB 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Carry out out pizza commercials on the TV and people bringing in a fresh box of glazed donuts to work !!! (They are evil)
I hope it helps .............