Diabetic Microalbuminuria

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Does anyone have experience of this diabetic complication? Although there are a few other causes, diabetes can damage the kidneys in such a way that protein leaks out into the urine. My last urine test showed that my ACR (albumin creatinine ratio) was 6.4, regarded as statistically significant for patients with diabetes. All my other kidney function indicators, sodium, potassium, chloride etc. are well within the normal range and my hba1c is also within the normal range at 37 mmol/mol.

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Hi! Did you get an eGFR value as part of your blood results? Microalbuminuria was picked up on my first urine sample that was sent to the lab upon diagnosis and a subsequent blood test revealed an eGFR level in the 40's(now in the 50's) which indicates CKD and to be honest I've never been told much about it by any HCP apart from I'm being monitored and put on the maximum dose of Ramipril.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have the EGFR for the latest test which was 88.1 which is just below the 90 but, I'm an overweight 60 year old bloke so it doesn't mean that much anyway. The ACRs are more informative and as I wrote, mine was 6.4 in Dec 2013. This looks well above the 2.5 that it should be. I was also 6.5 last Dec (2012) when I was diagnosed with diabetes. The previous years were 3.5 in both 2011 and 2010 and 9.8 in 2009. In other words, it has been over the 2.5 for males for years and so doesn't seem to be related to diabetes, which makes sense since it is still there even though my BGs are much better controlled.

Dunno what's causing it. I will see the GP in a week or so and it may be something to do with heart my medications.I have aksed to have these reviewed as I don't have the problem anymore yet seem to still be on several pills.