Diabetic Neuropathy and signed off

Angela_T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spiders
Hello, I was just wondering if I am in my rights to get upset. I have recently been signed off my p/t job due to Diabetic Neuropathy for 4wks to get better. I phoned in work to let them know I was going to be off ill for this long before my partner gave in my sick note from GP. The day my partner handed in the not to say not fit for work for 4wks my dept manager tried to phone me whilst I was on the phone. When I came off I had a txt message from her phone saying can I call back in work. So I did had a chat and she asked me to do some written work. Me being a soft person said yes even though I wasn't well and had lots of health things to do in the daytime that I was advised to do. I said I can't physically come in someone will have to bring it around. She said she would email me the work. When got off the phone I thought to myself what am I doing I'm signed off sick unwell fighting a fever they know with the Diabetic Neuropathy. So I messaged her and said I will do it as I accepted now and asked if I would get paid for working at home whilst unwell. Then said that that it is all work I'm doing though as unwell. The dept manager txt back and said I only asked for a couple of things as we discussed on the phone. So basically wanted me to work from home unpaid when unwell. I feel this is not right and I'm being bullied whilst not well what are your opinions please.
Angela T

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Dunno about UK employment laws but I know how it operates in Australia. I also know someone on this board that will throw in her opinions .... I'm sure she'll be along with her baseball bat and make sure you get to home plate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 7 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello, I was just wondering if I am in my rights to get upset. I have recently been signed off my p/t job due to Diabetic Neuropathy for 4wks to get better. I phoned in work to let them know I was going to be off ill for this long before my partner gave in my sick note from GP. The day my partner handed in the not to say not fit for work for 4wks my dept manager tried to phone me whilst I was on the phone. When I came off I had a txt message from her phone saying can I call back in work. So I did had a chat and she asked me to do some written work. Me being a soft person said yes even though I wasn't well and had lots of health things to do in the daytime that I was advised to do. I said I can't physically come in someone will have to bring it around. She said she would email me the work. When got off the phone I thought to myself what am I doing I'm signed off sick unwell fighting a fever they know with the Diabetic Neuropathy. So I messaged her and said I will do it as I accepted now and asked if I would get paid for working at home whilst unwell. Then said that that it is all work I'm doing though as unwell. The dept manager txt back and said I only asked for a couple of things as we discussed on the phone. So basically wanted me to work from home unpaid when unwell. I feel this is not right and I'm being bullied whilst not well what are your opinions please.
Angela T

Oh boy, this is always a tricky one really, and so many things that just aren't right - and on both sides really, to be honest.

I have no idea what you were asked to do, so couldn't make a judgement, except that it shouldn't have happened. If you have been assessed as unfit for work, that should be enough to step back. Perhaps your manager hadn't thought things through.

From your perspective if you will be claiming Statutory Sick Pay (and this is often included in any employers' sick pay arrangements) you must be extremely careful not to be working and claiming SSP, relating to the same job, at the same time. That could be classed as Benefit Fraud and highly undesirable. In thse circumstances, if you were being paid and your emplyer was paying over your SSP (it is paid as if salary), they could be in hot water too. I'm a bit rusty on these rules these days, so forgive me if I'm a bit vague.

Should this come up again any time, I would suggest you just, politely point out that you would be coming to work if you were fit to do so, and as such decline their offer/request or however it is phrased.

As I say, I see no reason why you wouldn't tell them of anything that might go adrift during your absence, any calls you are scheduled to make, or meetings you were expecting to attend. Those things would only be fair and would usually be covered within a brief conversation.

I do hope you feel better soon.

Reactions: 2 people

Angela_T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spiders
Oh boy, this is always a tricky one really, and so many things that just aren't right - and on both sides really, to be honest.

I have no idea what you were asked to do, so couldn't make a judgement, except that it shouldn't have happened. If you have been assessed as unfit for work, that should be enough to step back. Perhaps your manager hadn't thought things through.

From your perspective if you will be claiming Statutory Sick Pay (and this is often included in any employers' sick pay arrangements) you must be extremely careful not to be working and claiming SSP, relating to the same job, at the same time. That could be classed as Benefit Fraud and highly undesirable. In thse circumstances, if you were being paid and your emplyer was paying over your SSP (it is paid as if salary), they could be in hot water too. I'm a bit rusty on these rules these days, so forgive me if I'm a bit vague.

Should this come up again any time, I would suggest you just, politely point out that you would be coming to work if you were fit to do so, and as such decline their offer/request or however it is phrased.

As I say, I see no reason why you wouldn't tell them of anything that might go adrift during your absence, any calls you are scheduled to make, or meetings you were expecting to attend. Those things would only be fair and would usually be covered within a brief conversation.

I do hope you feel better soon.
Thank you. Just got stuck in a rut and didn't know what to do as I know I'm too ill to work but was talked into it but luckily thought about it and thought no why should I I'm not suppose to as I'm resting with my nerve problem and not suppose to stress. Well because I'm too soft I gave in a first then said no afterwards and explained. But my levels went straight up after the txts and phone call was so stressed was normal at long last after fighting the levels with fever for 2wks at 6.2ml at last then it shot up to 13.2ml 5 mins later due to the stress my dept manager gave me pushing. It's not fair she made me ill again. I was shaking as dealing with a bit of Anxiety at the moment due to many illnesses recently and changes and depression through it with not being able to move much far physically. Also my heart was beating fast it was so unfair of her to do that. If it carries on I will call Citizens Advice. Angela T

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Righto .......Ex Union rep for Unite............

Its simple, you have been signed off by the Doctor to do NO work , and so legally you cant do any work.... end off...

However if at some point you feel like you could do some work (or your doctor thinks you can) you can get a "Fit Note" to say you may do some work...........

I am guessing your firm is quite small because what they did is a big no no, ...........

Ring them up and tell them that your doctor has said you can do no work as your stress levels are contributing to your health problems, which is the truth as he has sighed you off...

Would also ask them not to contact you unless it is in regards to discussing your health along the lines of their health policy,, for instance my firm will ask you to have a chat after 2 weeks off sick but would not insist on it if I was not well enough to go in

Try Acas helpline
0300 123 1100

Reactions: 4 people

Angela_T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spiders
Righto .......Ex Union rep for Unite............

Its simple, you have been signed off by the Doctor to do NO work , and so legally you cant do any work.... end off...

However if at some point you feel like you could do some work (or your doctor thinks you can) you can get a "Fit Note" to say you may do some work...........

I am guessing your firm is quite small because what they did is a big no no, ...........

Ring them up and tell them that your doctor has said you can do no work as your stress levels are contributing to your health problems, which is the truth as he has sighed you off...

Would also ask them not to contact you unless it is in regards to discussing your health along the lines of their health policy,, for instance my firm will ask you to have a chat after 2 weeks off sick but would not insist on it if I was not well enough to go in

Try Acas helpline
0300 123 1100

Angela_T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spiders
Thank you for your advice. Angela T