1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

]Diabetic pancareas cell trans pl anwer me

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Salem, Jul 2, 2011.

1. Salem

Salem · Newbie

I have been a diabetic type 2 for 5 years< I lately heard that there is a surgary cell transplant in the UK. I would like to know more about it, anme of the hospital, wither it is a successful or not and how much it cost.

Please, answer my question

I truely appreciate your help

2. viviennem

viviennem Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Sorry, I've never heard of it, Salem.

Why don't you search Google for pancreas cell transplant.

Viv 8)

3. Salem

Salem · Newbie

Hello viviennem

I did but my langauge is not so good
    in fact, while I was researchin i found this site so I thought it is good idea if post a question about it and might i will get a good advice

thank you very much

4. LittleGreyCat

LittleGreyCat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Articel here:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/islet-cell-transplants.html

The procedure is still in development and is not for Type 2 diabetics, but only for Type 1 who have major problems with control using insulin injections.

Because this is a transplant the recipient will need to take anti-rejection drugs for the rest of his/her life and these have side effects.

Most patients still require small doses of injected insulin after the transplant as well as all the anti-rejection drugs.

So for T2s I would guess that the standard drugs plus diet and exercise are far safer than the anti-rejection drugs required after a transplant.

Look around the site for advice on how to manage T2 diabetes :)

HTH

LGC

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook