Diabetic remission, and the risk of Covid-19

Glennis67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

So, you try your hardest for 18 months to get the Type 2 in remission, and are proud of yourself.

You’re then told you are “vulnerable” for Covid-19 and feel like it’s a kick in the teeth (I know it’s for my own good though).

There are letters being received by people to say to “shield” but I’ve not received one, which I think may be because of being in remission?

So, I’m a bit confused- am I Vulnerable or not, or should I just be doing the social distancing thing and being careful.

Is anyone else in the same position?

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi
There are letters being received by people to say to “shield” but I’ve not received one, which I think may be because of being in remission?
People with diabetes are not currently being told to shield (unless they have some other condition that would put them in the most vulnerable list), we are just expected to do what everyone else is doing.

Reactions: Glennis67

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The letters telling people to shield are only being sent to those on the list of very high risk conditions. Diabetics are not on this list. Unless you have one of the listed conditions, you will not receive a letter and must follow the rules that apply to everyone else.

People falling into this extremely vulnerable group include:

1. Solid organ transplant recipients.

2. People with specific cancers:
    • people with cancer who are undergoing active chemotherapy or radical radiotherapy for lung cancer
    • people with cancers of the blood or bone marrow such as leukaemia, lymphoma or myeloma who are at any stage of treatment
    • people having immunotherapy or other continuing antibody treatments for cancer
    • people having other targeted cancer treatments which can affect the immune system, such as protein kinase inhibitors or PARP inhibitors
    • people who have had bone marrow or stem cell transplants in the last 6 months, or who are still taking immunosuppression drugs
  3. People with severe respiratory conditions including all cystic fibrosis, severe asthma and severe COPD.

4. People with rare diseases and inborn errors of metabolism that significantly increase the risk of infections (such as SCID, homozygous sickle cell).

5. People on immunosuppression therapies sufficient to significantly increase risk of infection.

6. Women who are pregnant with significant heart disease, congenital or acquired.

Reactions: Glennis67

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think that the information given out is people trying to do the best they can with very little information because there isn't much information around.
Personally I am thankful that I went out and stocked up before everything blew up because we have just had to help with the arrival of our fifth grandchild and were not sure what would be required. Now I am staying at home out of the way because that is the best I can do not to be a nuisance to anyone.
Yes, I have been in normal numbers for BG for years - top end of normal for Hba1c, but pushing my luck seems slightly foolish when I just do not need to.

84green

Hi

So, you try your hardest for 18 months to get the Type 2 in remission, and are proud of yourself.

You’re then told you are “vulnerable” for Covid-19 and feel like it’s a kick in the teeth (I know it’s for my own good though).

So, I’m a bit confused- am I Vulnerable or not, or should I just be doing the social distancing thing and being careful.

Congratulations on your remission. I am Type 2, have high BP and recently diagnosed with non obstructive CAD.

I received a text from my GP on Friday advising me to follow the recommendations on social distancing and hand washing for the next 12 weeks as I have a “long term medical condition.”

So in effect, the same advice as everyone else.

sterling

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Diabetes is high risk but not in itself very high risk. I have received the letter identifying me as "someone at risk of severe illness if you catch ... COVID19" because I have chronic myeloid leukaemia.
My letter is "evidence for your employer that you cannot work outside the home".
The letter provides advice not to leave home.
Diabetics who do not additionally have the conditions identified by the post of above will probably not receive the letter.

NéjiSaïdi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Fake knowledge
Hi

So, I’m a bit confused- am I Vulnerable or not, or should I just be doing the social distancing thing and being caref
I have the same condition, T2D in remission. I suggest you have a look at this article published by Virta Health.
https://www.virtahealth.com/blog/th...Y1RyqJe_30ZbFi1f9pi4L8nNTWW2KINvQ7FwhYK5jPB28

MargaretR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can’t give a reference because I have forgotten where I saw this. The letters are coming from more than one source. The ones applying to cancer treatments are from a central Source, and seem to have arrived at the beginning of last week.

The others are coming from ??? using information that is gathered from others sources, mainly the GPs. The instructions are that if you haven’t had a letter by now, you should chase it via the GP practice.

My risk factor are mainly from the drugs I take for rheumatoid artheritis, and a lung disorder. On the Atheritis UK website I found a very useful questionnaire which gives you a point score. Over 3 and you should be in the category for a letter. My score was 5, but I haven’t had a letter.

I haven’t chased it up yet, but according to emails from Sainsbury I am on the vulnerable list, and they have reinstated me on the weekly delivery list. Sainsbury have access to the list.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
The problem is that no one in their right mind would want to be a guinea pig to see if those who are in remission have a "normal" risk profile, especially when the amount of diabetic Italians have sadly passed.

I am in remission, have walked circa 5 miles a day for over 4 years, with lots of other cardio conditioning, and post relatively big numbers in the gym via weights. When a cold has gone around the family I don't get this, and have only had 1 mild cold in almost 5 years, when being coughed around on a flight back from Spain.

My wife said I don't know what background susceptibility diabetes may have caused inspite of my gym numbers, so I will not take any additional risk, but am grateful for a good base fitness in case I need to fight.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I haven’t chased it up yet, but according to emails from Sainsbury I am on the vulnerable list, and they have reinstated me on the weekly delivery list. Sainsbury have access to the list.
Are you saying that a list of people's medical conditions is being shared with a supermarket? I qualify for the Sainsbury's priority delivery but that is probably because I gave them my date of birth years ago.

Reactions: Brunneria