Diabetic Retinopathy

Unbeliever

Today at my appointment in the Eye clinic he consultant told me what I had already realised - that after about 3 years of reatment nothing was working and there were no other opions.

He is not washing his hands of me- he will continue o attempt to help for as long as it may make a difference.

While this came as no surprise it is one thing to know something inside yourself and another to hear it said by The Expert.

My macular oedema was caused by my Bg being brought down too quickly . I was told that I had probably been diabetic for most of my adult life. hat would have been about fory years. I had only slight background reinopathy when diagnosed. The hospital wanted to refer me back to the GP.
I do feel that I have been a victim of "targets" Even quite recently when my HBA1C had risen slightly because I was unable to exercise for a few months there was a big todo about reducing it.
I complied as far as i could and once again there was rejoicing. until it was found to have caused more bleeding. But at least the figres ll comply with the argets.

The consultant looked grave the last time I saw him . Today he looked graver still.

My only comfort ,really, is that I feel that I had the best possible treatment from this consultant.
I have always had certain reservations about the treatment on offer and the personnel. I have often declared . much to he horror of family and friends that i would refuse any further treament if i could not see that particular consultant. For once . I do feel that nohing more could have been done.
In the same way that I previously voted with my feet and refused to see the "diabetes doctor"
in my former practice I had to work quite hard to ensure i saw the consultant i trusted but at least i now have no regrets or reservaions. I always felt that if the treatment given by this Dr didn't work it would certainly not have worked when administered by anyone else..

The whole process has. I think, just reinforced my belief that you have to follow your own instincts.
I felt it was wrong to atempt to reduce my levels too quiickly, I knew that the first laser treatment by a registrar had made my eyes worse and i was deernined as far as mightbe possible to ensure I was seen and reated by the one person i trusted. I suppose underlying it all was my "unbelief" in the system.

Today I spoke to various other patients for whom the reatment is and has worked . Some of them had far more complicaed problems han mine so I don't want to frighten or depress anyone else with my post. sometimes treatments don't work whatever anyone does.

The other thing ,of course, is that because my case has been unusually well documented due to my having been referred to the hospital unneccesarily and kept on because of the introduction of the retinal screening programme then lessons may have been learnt and my anguish over the last few years won't have been enirely wasted.

C

catherinecherub

Hi Unbeliever,
Sorry your post got missed. :oops:

This must have been devastating news for you and I cannot begin to know how you are feeling.
What amazes me is the positive attitude that you have and this can be seen throughout your post, including that your well documented case may help others.

Trying to lower blood sugars too quickly does seem to have featured quite heavily and I hope that any newbie reading this makes sure that they gradually reduce their numbers. It is not a competition or a race.

Thinking of you and feel free to rant, we will try and support you.

Take care.

Unbeliever

Thank you so much Catherine, IThe worse thing has been the reaction I have had from others.
I can understand that they don't know what to say but it is very annoying when they eiher ignore me
or just shuffle their fee and say they are sure I will be OK!

I am not particularly courageous or positive but I am very fair minded and for once, I feel that everything posssible has been and will be done for me.
I so much appreciate all the help I have had from the surgeon in dealing with my diabetes as well as the macular oedema.

I have to say I have been quite asserive in ensuring I saw the person I had confidence in and i always feel guilty about doing that as I feel I might be depriving others but in his case I felt that even if the outcome was bad I would not have any regrets re my treatment.

Now i feel that I had the best reatment and that I did all I could too in reducing my bg levels - although it didn;t help and for that I also have to thank this forum and everyone her.

I

Gappy

Dislikes
hypocrisy, prejudice and the corrupt legal system (never got compensation I deserved from an accident)
I'm glad you feel all that's possible has been and will continue to be done for you. It's not good news but life isn't always fair but facing these problems with a negative attitude and resentment would make it worse. Please stay positive and with hard work and determination you'll be able to do more than you imagine will be possible.

hallii

A timely reminder "unbeliever", of the dangers of a rapid reduction in BGs. This seems to apply particularly to those who are diagnosed later rather than sooner.

Sorry to hear of your sight problems, it is the nightmare that some of us will have to face,and we hope that it will not be our turn to draw the short straw.

I am 9 years diagnosed and was probably T2 for some years before that, I am happy to say that so far so good, but as I get older who knows?

As you say, maybe your experience "has not been wasted" others may benefit from your experience and take the reduction in BGs a bit more slowly.

H

Unbeliever

I am hoping that the surgeon and other staff may have also learned somehing from my case.
I have been a willing guinea pig.
Unforunately I am convinced that this message about reducing levels slowly will not be passed to local practices. It is already known that this should be done. yet everyone is so intent on reaching targets it is ignored.

I also believe that the fact that Gps and hospitals don't work togeher . because of funding etc affects patient care . I noticed this years ago when I was supposed to have "shared care" when pregnant. All this meant was that neither the hospital nor the GP took responsibility and i was actually worse off than if I had been wih either one or the other.

On the whole, in spite of my own misfortune, i am vey optimisic that treatmen will improve for diabetic eye conditions. I have seen massive improvements and innovaions in the last few years .