Diabetic Retinopathy

sharon73

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Posting on behalf of my husband. Had a pretty useless eye appointment today. He has suffered with proliferative diabetic retinopathy for several years, vitrectomy in both eyes and has had his fill of laser (they won't do anymore!). One eye is pretty dire, loss of central vision, unable to see the top letter on chart today. The other eye is slightly better but still with a loss of peripheral vision. I asked the doctor today where on the grand scale of things is his vision i.e. partially sighted etc, and she said he wouldn't necessarily meet the criteria for registering as partially sighted as his vision wasn't near the level for partially sighted, but based on the amount of laser and loss of peripheral vision he probably would meet the criteria. He doesn't really want to register (I think its a matter of pride) but was just curious.

My question being - the doctor mentioned today that 'there isn't much of the retina left to really say that he's got retinopathy'........I don't really understand this. I understand that the retina could be/probably is damaged due to the amount of laser/surgery etc. but to say that there isn't much retina left.....how does that work?

Sorry if my question is a bit vague. I'm really not very happy with the appointment today - the doctor didn't really seemed that bothered,- didn't know that he was T1, didn't know he had 2 vitrectomies. She said he had some fluid in his eye, but then didn't dwell any more on this. He has had cataracts forming for a while now, but they are stalling doing anything with them as they don't want to risk the vision in his 'good' eye. He was told that if both eyes were better they would do it, but because one is pretty useless they have to try and preserve the sight in the other one.

Thanks

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Sharon

I'm sorry that your husband is having such problems with his sight. His eye problems sound very similar to my own. Proliferative retinopathy, 2 vitrectomies, maximum laser on both. I have had 1 lens removed due to a cataract, but was unable to have a new lens implanted. I have no sight in one eye and a small amount of central vision in the other.

My surgeon likened my retinas to threadbare carpets, as in the seeing area is greatly diminished, I presume that is what " there isn't much of the retina left" refers to . The retina is still physically there, but more scar tissue from lasering than areas of active retinopathy or healthy retina. I have a cataract forming in the eye with a small amount of sight in and the surgeon has told me the cataract operation is very risky in such a damaged eye and they will hold off doing it until I can't cope. This is due to the risk to my remaining vision. I assumed a cataract operation would be done as soon as possible to help my sight but it isn't the case in seriously damaged eyes. It is frustrating as I want to see as well as possible but on the other hand having lived with no sight at all for 1 year I am more than ready to follow their advice.

The fluid build up probably relates to macular oedema, where fluid leaks from the damaged vessels into the area behind the retina, usually in the central seeing part of the retina. My oedema eventually settled down as my retinopathy slowed down.

I hope this helps. Good luck with the treatment. Proliferative retinopathy is a hideous condition and I wish you both the best of luck.

Reactions: 8 people

sharon73

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Flowerpot :) that is such a brilliant explanation. It would have been nice if the doctor today could have explained things like that today! Thank you for that. He has suffered with macular oedema before, but she didn't say it in such a way, just 'there's some fluid in the eye'. I really wasn't very happy today with the appointment, but what can you do!

Best of luck to yourself too, it is an horrendous condition, and it's very difficult for people who don't suffer with it, or are close to people with it, to understand how bad it can be.