1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Diabetic tattoo

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by AnitaMac, Jul 23, 2016.

1. AnitaMac

AnitaMac Type 1 · Member

I am giving serious consideration to a tattoo on my wrist to say i'm Diabetic. Just wondering if anyone has one and if its proved useful? Thanks Anita

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

2. therower

therower Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@AnitaMac. I have a tattoo, it's the Rod of Asclepius, the international recognised medical alert symbol, it's a snake wrapped around a staff. Not to be confused with the staff of Hermes. Although I've not found myself in a position where someone has had to give or act upon the information tattooed on my left inner forearm, I do feel it is another piece of info that may save my life one day. I also have a certain pride in it being there. Sorry I can't show a picture but I'm an old geezer and don't know how to do picture stuff. Basically it's the Rod of Asclepius with DiabeT1c underneath. Go for it.;););)

• Like Like x 3
  3. AnitaMac

AnitaMac Type 1 · Member

4. therower

therower Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@AnitaMac. Good luck, let us know how it goes.

5. abigailsheree

abigailsheree Type 1 · Active Member

I have one on my right arm which is so useful as I don't like wearing jewellery to much
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

• Like Like x 4
  6. Harrysdad

Harrysdad Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I've looking for a suitable Type 1 Tat for a while, quite like these 2, but still undecided. Pinterest is a good source for inspiration tat1.jpg tat2.jpg .

• Like Like x 2
  7. Helen_S-C

Helen_S-C Type 1 · Active Member

I want a tattoo too but I don't know what to get, don't want anything to big as I would have it on my wrist.

8. paulliljeros

paulliljeros Other · Well-Known Member

@AnitaMac I have 3 tattoos (unrelated to diabetes), all of which are over 20 years old, and whilst I don't regret any of them, I wouldn't have them done now.
    The point to note is I am now on the waiting list for SPK (dual pancreas and kidney transplant), which will (if all goes to plan) remove my diabetes, for a number of years at least. Whilst it would be an interesting memento, it would effectively be a red herring should a medical professional see it.
    Sorry if this puts unwanted doubt in your mind, but even 12 months ago, I had no reason to believe I was not going to be T1, for the rest of my life, but things can change, for everyone!

9. Shar67

Shar67 · Guest

Very few people are going to get transplants, also anti rejection drugs can cause diabetes. Tattoos can be laser end off or covered up, if you have on image and lettering you just need to cover or laser lettering.

I'm getting a lion tattoo but I'm seriously thinking of getting a purple scorpion with insulin dependent under it

10. Diamattic

Diamattic Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I don't have one but wear a leather wrist strap daily with 'Type 1 Diabetic' stamped into it. As long as you get something that is clearly readable, and not just some stylized picture, it should do its job - and if you do things properly it will never matter anyway lol

I can see it helping in the day to day where you wont have to remember to put on the medic alert bracelt/necklace or whatever you wear. However i can see it being a bit awkward if you are trying to be subtle about your condition, or trying to look classy/fancy (tattoos don't always look great with every outfit) where you can switch up your accessories.

Its tricky, and certainly has pros and cons, and I would think would vary from person to person and if you have a lifestyle now and in the future that you feel supports the tattoo idea then totally go for it - if you have doubts I would think its best to wait it out.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook