Diabetic Type1 hands blown up like ballons

Angela_T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spiders
Dear all, I'm even having troubles typing this. I am awaken again I have Diabetes Type 1 and just go levels to a reasonable level as had a fever and changed drugs from Amitriptyline to Gabapentin. My hands keep blowing up like balloons feeling raised and swollen like they are two sizes but they are not and the pain keeps me awake I had this in the past too whilst working had to get up in middle of night as it woke me up tested levels were fine but had the blown up like balloons feeling again. It went away for a few months now has reappeared and keep getting stomach aches going to ask Diabetic nurse for MIR scan on stomach or something. I have recently been Diagnosed with Diabetic Neuropathy and Sensory Nerve problems I wonder if it is related to that.
What ever it is it can't carry on it's keeping me up in the middle of the night and getting no sleep i'm sleep deprived then shattered the next day was told to rest for 4wks and then reviewed as I work p/t now as this is distracting my daily movements.
Angela T

JanS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Some type 1 diabetics have auto imune type diabetes. If your diabetes started following you having flu type symptoms it may mean that yours is this type. In this case you may also suffer from other auto imune problems such as Rheumatoid arthritis. You need to ask for a blood test for Inflammatory markers - ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate) and CRP (Chemical Reactive Protein).

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Some type 1 diabetics have auto imune type diabetes. If your diabetes started following you having flu type symptoms it may mean that yours is this type. In this case you may also suffer from other auto imune problems such as Rheumatoid arthritis. You need to ask for a blood test for Inflammatory markers - ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate) and CRP (Chemical Reactive Protein).
Let's be clear here JanS, the majority of T1 is Autoimmune.

Reactions: 4 people