1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Diabetics in the Plymouth / cornwall area ?

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by flicc90, Apr 25, 2013.

1. flicc90

flicc90 Type 1 · Member

Hi,
    I have had diabetes for around 13 years now and I have to say I have never had a friendship with another diabetic.
    I think it would be nice to be able to go to someone who isn't my diabetic nurse or doctor and talk to them about all the things I want to about diabetes and for them to actually understand what I am going on about without nodding their heads and trying to think they understand. None of my family is diabetic.
    Would really like to have some company...so I don't feel so alone

So anyone in the plymouth area people message.
    Acutally anyone anywhere message

NEED FRIENDS!!!

2. lrw60

lrw60 · Well-Known Member

Hi flicc90,
    remember me? I replied to your post about the best diet for a diabetic. I am sorry you feel so alone with this illness. I never felt that when I had it, I say 'had it' because even though I am not cured I like to think I am! Anyway, you can see from my details that I am in Cornwall and very happy to chat. I go to Devon several times each year as a friend has a cousin in a nursing home in Exmouth. It's a long hard journey that we used to break by stopping at a very good pub on the way home for an amazing vegitarian meal followed by a delicious pud with cream! Since finding this forum and discovering that I was doing the wrong thing we now bypass the pub. Shame. I don't know Plymouth very well, I have only been there to shop for music cd's and to visit a friend who belonged to the same vintage car club as me. Cornwall seems to be a long way from anywhere else. I only know of one other person in my car club with db, unless others are keeping it a secret which would be a shame. I use a friends computer to access this forum and to search for work. As a semi retired self employed carpenter work is a bit thin at the moment. My friend had to come with me when I did a decorating job recently, as I would be wallpapering a stairwell using a tall ladder. This wouldn't normally have been a problem but my sense of ballance was damaged many years ago and going up a ladder can be a bit awkward. My friend wasn't there to catch me if I fell (she is 82!) she was there to phone for an ambulance if I did fall! (I didn't!).
    I bet I am not the only person to reply to you, but maybe I will be the first.
    Lee.

3. lisa00769

lisa00769 Type 2 · Active Member

Hiya.
    i have sent you a pm hun.
    Im also in plymouth and would be happy to have a chat. Probably won't be very good with the advise as only been diagnosed for 8 weeks now. But can certainly listen and help where I can. Maybe have a coffee and a chat.
    Horrible to feel so alone and I certainly know how you feel.
    Hopefully speak soon.
    Lisa
    xxxxx

4. ConradJ

ConradJ Type 1 · Well-Known Member

You and me Flicc90 - 37.5 years and counting, and never a diabetic friend!

I know exactly what you mean... and such feelings aren't helped when the control isn't good :(

As an ex-Janner (I haven't lived there since 1987), I'll let you know if I'm coming down to visit family, etc.

BTW, has Dr Baumer retired?

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook