1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Diabetics in underdeveloped countries?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by DeafDiabetic, Mar 21, 2011.

1. DeafDiabetic

DeafDiabetic · Well-Known Member

I think most of us in Europe, USA, Australasia and so on take for granted the health services that we currently have even if they're not always perfect.

Just wondering today about the less fortunate diabetics in poor, underdeveloped countries. How on earth do they cope? I'd hate the thought of needing insulin or other required medication and being unable to obtain them - does'nt bear thinking about really :cry:

2. ZACNEMMA

ZACNEMMA · Well-Known Member

Here here. I equally often spend more than a moment thinking about the plight of type 1's before Banting and Bests discovery of insulin.

3. bos5

bos5 · Member

God love them and protect them, I dont even know if I believe the line I have just said but we can always hope

4. copepod

copepod Type 1 · Well-Known Member

5. sinmm

sinmm · Newbie

This is a very important question (thought). In poor countries, diabetics die many years upfront without even knowing they had diabetes. My aunt (my sister's mother) had her leg amputated in August last year just a few months after it was "discovered" that she had diabetes.

My Uncle (my father's younger brother) died of diabetes complications in 2008. Had I known what I know today about diabetes, I think he could still be alive today. My own mother is type2, has HBP and advanced arthritis. We're trying our best to provide the necessary medication and care. Thank God her situation was "discovered" much earlier.

The truth of the matter is that hundreds if not hundreds of thousands in poor countries die from this condition without ever knowing they had it. No healthcare, no medication, no information, and, as the Americans would say, no nothing. That it the truth about diabetics in developing (poor) countries.

Thanks copepod for the IDDT link.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook