Diabeties nurse, bullet proof protein and thank you.

Carolyn_Lesley

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is my first apt. with my Diabeties Nurse today. I do hope she is in sympathy with the thinking I find on here rather than the 'healthy plate' which got me into this trouble in the first place. If I'd have known then what I know know and all that! Fingers crossed! I am finding all of you guys a Godsend so thank you. Had Bullet Proof coffee this morning in place of my usual porridge with two spoons of hemp protein powder, taken girls to tennis been to gym, 45 Mins of cross training, housework and now lunch time almost and I am not at all hungry or shakey. Hope I can manage as I have never liked fresh coffee but it didn't spike me.

Reactions: 6 people

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello again. Good luck, if you haven't seen the nurse yet. If you have, how did it go?
Glad you're feeling so energised.

Carolyn_Lesley

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you- she was wonderful! Very encouraging and told me how well I have been doing. Totally on my side with the Lichfield diet. She feels if I carry on like I am I will be off the pills by Christmas. All my levels have made a 'dramatic' improvement in the few weeks since I was diagnosed! So delighted! The only thing she said was not to test after meals anymore, just before to get my 'resting' levels? May be because I have been worried about these 'spikes' but she said that as long as I was recovering from them ( which I am) not to worry. I will continue to do the 2 hour tests after new foods though as I am still learning and determined/ obsessed lol. I have actually lost more weight than I thought too! I have blood tests booked for early December..
I attribute a lot of my success to this site. Although I have only just started posting I think I may have read every thread here since diagnosed ( about 8 weeks ago) and feel I am not alone, part of a du unity I cannot see but who have my back.I appreciate my replies. Thank you

Reactions: 9 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
very proud of you Carolyn -- Well Done:)
and keep up the progress.

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

Are your test strips on prescription?
If so, she will have suggested abandoning the 2 hr tests to save money. Cynical? me? Yup.

Personally, i think testing before food and 2 hours later is vital. And both tests are equally important. How on earth can you work out what effect the food has had without clear before and after comparisons?

If she was so delighted with your progress - which is brilliant, by the way - why on earth does she want to mess with a winning system? (Except to appear like she had some contribution to make).

Please stick with your successful test pattern, or i suspect you may find carb creep appearing. That is when you unconsciously let more carbs creep into your diet without noticing the cumulative effect.

:)

Reactions: 12 people

Carolyn_Lesley

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I too have a clinical side Brunnaria, and I quite agree. I will still do some two hour tests, however perhaps take it a bit easier on myself. I have been doing at least 7 tests a day, with an extra 3 recently for the hour after so my thumbs are getting quite sore. I think I will start a new thread on hour after vs two hour after tests to get some opinions- would value yours please. Thank you

Reactions: 6 people

KittyKatty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is my first apt. with my Diabeties Nurse today. I do hope she is in sympathy with the thinking I find on here rather than the 'healthy plate' which got me into this trouble in the first place. If I'd have known then what I know know and all that! Fingers crossed! I am finding all of you guys a Godsend so thank you. Had Bullet Proof coffee this morning in place of my usual porridge with two spoons of hemp protein powder, taken girls to tennis been to gym, 45 Mins of cross training, housework and now lunch time almost and I am not at all hungry or shakey. Hope I can manage as I have never liked fresh coffee but it didn't spike me.

Hi Carolyn,

I agree with Brunneria.

A little of what your DN suggested seems unwise. How can you truly know you have "recovered" from a meal unless you test your blood? Relying on how your body feels is a bad, inaccurate gauge, in my experience. If it was so reliable, I'm sure the world could rid itself of costly and time-consuming blood monitors and glucose strips! When I was first diagnosed 14 months ago, I tested everything I ate before and after so I could get a feel for what I could get away with. DN suggested it was silly to do that. It was in fact no sillier than her spending ages showing me a diagram about the pancreas when I wanted practical advice on how to cope with Type 2. It was expensive for me to keep testing but so important for health and peace of mind. Nowadays I still test with "new" foods and also do a few control tests here and there to make sure nothing is going off-kilter.

I personally have found cutting out bread, sugar, potatoes, rice and pasta has been the best thing for me, not simply having smaller portions of them. I have gone down 5 clothes sizes, I'm off medication and my hba1c remains in the early 30's. Had I listened to the "traditional" advice I think I would have lost much less weight and probably have a higher blood sugar.

But ultimately, you have to make your own decisions on how to handle the condition. Experimentation is a good thing. Advice varies so all you can do is fill yourself with information and make your own judgements.

Don't feel pedantic and fussy over wanting to test your bloods. It's easy for the DN (or anyone else) to tsk you; they don't have to live with the possible complications of your condition.:cat:

Reactions: 8 people

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I too have a clinical side Brunnaria, and I quite agree. I will still do some two hour tests, however perhaps take it a bit easier on myself. I have been doing at least 7 tests a day, with an extra 3 recently for the hour after so my thumbs are getting quite sore. I think I will start a new thread on hour after vs two hour after tests to get some opinions- would value yours please. Thank you
Carolyn, you've done brilliantly.

Don't stop testing 2 hrs after meals. You need the test info to improve. I would do some 1hr tests as well just to see the spike at its worst, so that you can work out how to handle that.

I am proud of you.

photognut

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Coffee with butter and coconut oil, whisked. Provides fat for energy as well as that caffeine kick many of us enjoy.
It's frothy and tastes creamy.
Some like it, some :***:
Ewww, :***: someone has just been far too creative ...............

Reactions: 4 people