Diagnose stories and d days

Twisterr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys I wanted to know if you guys would like to share your diagnoses story's and what day is your d day do you celebrate it ?

Reactions: 2 people

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
Hi twister my story is rubbish. had been testing myself for years. Ran out of lancets and didn't test for a couple of years. When I eventually got more lancets I was 12, 18 hours after eating. So I knew before going to the doctor.

Reactions: 2 people

Adamski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Diagnosed 1st April 2014. I celebrate every time my pre meal BG reading is between 4-7, which tends to be lots :D

Reactions: 8 people

Twisterr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh so it is just nearly 2 months how are you getting on ?

RosieDred

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been diagnosed 6 months tomorrow! Can't believe it's been half a year already. I went for blood tests on a Friday morning and my gp phoned my workplace in the evening to tell me to go straight to the surgery and then to hospital as he suspected type 1 diabetes. I was shocked, I never even told my surgery where I worked and he wouldn't even let me wait 45 minutes for my partner to get home from work. He even said he would call my mother for me and ask her to pick me up while I gathered my stuff together. Work was shocked especially as I'd called and asked if someone could cover my shift a few hours before because I wasn't feeling well but it was too short notice. The manager felt bad after he found out what had happened!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 4 people

Adamski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh so it is just nearly 2 months how are you getting on ?

I'm doing reasonably well thanks. Struggling this week, as I think I've got a delayed honeymoon kicking in. I'm T1. Have been having around 3 hypos a day this week, and have been reducing my bolus insulin doses, and reduced basal tonight.

Hoping to stabilise later this week, have stopped my usual exercise until I get back under control :)

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Coming up to one year. To celebrate I'll be running a 23 mile fell race

Reactions: 14 people

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed at the age of 3, around December 1990. However, I was likely diabetic for at least a year before this, and I am lucky to have survived. Diabetes was not as well known back then, and my mother had a huge uphill struggle getting me diagnosed.
My parents first noticed something was wrong when we were away on holiday. I got a cold, and like many toddlers was quite unwell with it. However, a couple of weeks later I was still not getting any better. It took a very long time for me to get over it. I was also asking for drinks all the time. It didn't matter what my parents gave me, I was parched all the time. Mum was pretty much constantly taking me between the cold water tap and the toilet.
At first it was put down to my cold. But then Mum and Dad noticed my weight. I was steadily losing body mass, soon weighing half of what I should. Mum had taken me to see the nurse, and she had dismissed it as an infection. Mum even asked 'is it diabetes?' He nurse just shrugged and told her not to worry.
As the months rolled on I continued to get more and more unwell. Mum took me back to hospital, and demanded the nurse test my urine. She told Mum she was being paranoid, but grudgingly said she would do the test. A couple of minutes later she returned and said 'All normal, what did I tell you?' The subsequent events suggest the nurse just threw the sample away without ever testing.
A couple of weeks later we were due to go and visit some family. I was very woozy, and seemed disconnected with reality, even for a 3 year old. Mum knew something was seriously wrong, and took me to the GP. He did a urine test, and the stick pretty much turned black. He said 'Your son is diabetic and needs to go to hospital.' Mum started asking how quickly she could get an appointment, but he was already on the phone dialling an ambulance. It turned out I was drifting in and out of a diabetic coma.
During my long stay in hospital, my mum called the nurse that had ignored the signs and said 'My son has just been diagnosed with diabetes.' Suddenly we couldn't get rid of her. She shot over with scales for weighing me and my food, helpful diabetes books, lots of apologies, pretty much anything to stop from getting sued. My Mum is not one to make a fuss, and as I made a full recovery she let things go.
24 years on, and I am very thankful that diabetes is a lot better documented nowadays! As a child my parents managed my diabetes for me fantastically, but my early narrow miss seemed to give me a taste for it. By the time I left home for university, my parents had had to deal with 7 bone breaks, including pulling a brick archway on myself and fracturing my skull! Needless to say I am often astounded I have made it to 27 :).

rochari

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was 11yo (I’m 60yo now) and what I remember are two things, always feeling tired and being thirsty all the time. As diabetes type 1 was all through the family I was checked quickly but the doctor told my folks that the result was clear and I probably had a virus.

Odd things come to mind too. Since the ‘bad’ feeling started I remember spending all of play-time at school with my mouth under the cold-water tap. Same at lunch time and the afternoon break. I couldn’t get enough of it. Over the weeks as the thirst got much worse the water began to taste strange. Of course when I got home I couldn’t drink enough the bad things like Tree Top (Tip Top??) orange juice or Lucozade to ‘build me up’.

The weight loss and tiredness continued, the doctor still said it was still a virus and eventually one morning I couldn’t get out of bed. All in all, it was about 6 or 7 weeks from when I started to feel unwell until that day. Ambulance was called and I was taken to a children’s hospital about 15 miles away, and shortly afterwards they asked me if I had ever heard of diabetes. When I said my mother and gran both took injections for it every day they told me I was the new family member then!

I remember too my first injection of insulin. The wonderful feeling of not being so tired although it took a few days for my appetite to kick- in. By this time I was around 4.5 stone and my folks told me later they thought they’d lost me.

One injection a day was the norm at that time and I feel sure it was called Lente.

I don’t celebrate the illness. It’s been a mare to deal with sometimes and gets me down more than it should. But hey, I am still here and determined to get that medal next year!

Bill

Reactions: 9 people

picklebean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was actually diagnosed on D-Day, so it's known as Diabetic Day in our house. :happy:

I was 11, had been getting really tired, extremely thirsty, strange smelling breath, chest infection. One weekend I couldn't get out of bed because I was so exhausted and the on-call GP diagnosed 'over-excitement' from the recent half-term holiday, gave me some medicine for the chest infection and went away again.

Luckily my mum phoned for a doctor again a few hours later and the second one tested my blood sugar. I had DKA, a blood sugar over 30 and was in a coma for over 24hours. I stayed in hospital for 2 weeks after that. We still can't believe the first GP didn't spot it - all the classic symptoms were there. :rolleyes:

H

Hooked

I was diagnosed 27 years ago, about 2 weeks before Christmas. They used to keep you in until your levels were good back then, but they decided to let me out on Christmas eve even though levels were around 17mmol.

I think levels were in mid 30s when I was diagnosed. I remember drinking lots, nothing would quench me. I used to down a 2 litre bottle of coke from the fridge during the night, Mum thought I was addicted to it, lol. At school I'd have my head stuck under the taps at every opportunity. I used to have to go to the toilet before and after each class, as well as asking to go in the middle of class. Eyesight was very blurred, but because I was a quiet one in class anyway, the teachers didn't notice how downhill my work had gone. Mum cried after she seen me getting changed into my PJs at the hospital. She hadn't realised just how much weight I'd lost. It was winter so I was always wrapped up in big jumpers etc.

Two injections a day back then. And blood test strips to read off the side of a bottle. I remember the excitement of getting a blood testing machine, very fancy! You had to leave blood on the square for one minute, then wipe it off with cotton wool and then wait another minute before reading it. Recommended testing was twice a day if I remember right.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Diagnosed 25th February 2013. Symptoms for a few months before I went to the doctor. Blood tests on the Friday then received a panicked phone call at work on the Monday to come back in. I was discharged from hospital just under 2 hours later

Blogging at drivendiabetic.wordpress.com

zed

Mine was 14 years ago in 2000 I think. It was towards the end of September am nearly 21 one now so was just a few months after my seventh birthday.

My parents had gone to the doctors several times as I did not have an apatite however I had always been quite slim and underweight the doctors told my mother to take me macdonalds.

We went on a family holiday and when we got back I was drinking a lot of water so my aunty suggested we check my blood sugar at home as my grandmother was also type 1 it came up as 19 an emergency appointment with doctor and was sent straight to hospital, was out after two weeks!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

H

Hooked

After posting last night I remember more about the initial visit to the Dr and the phone call to the house a few hours later.
The GP did a dip stick, showing up sugar and ketones and said I could possibly be diabetic, but they needed a blood test to confirm. We were too late for the last blood samples had just been collected to go to the labs that afternoon, but as we lived right beside the hospital, we drove the sample up and dropped it in ourselves. An hour or so later the phone rang. I KNEW it was the GP ringing to say I was diabetic, so I rushed into the kitchen to gobble down a big sugary cream bun that was in the cupboard before my mum would get off the phone and tell me I couldn't, lol.

So she told me the news, we packed my bag and headed over to the hospital. I still clearly remember the ward, and the friends I made. Joel, the asthmatic who was in as long as I was, and "Pebbles" an adoreable wee 1 year old, in hospital long term, whose body produced too much insulin, and used to wake me every morning as her cot was the other side of a window behind my bed, tapping on the window and a big smile on her face. Adrian the dietician who taught me how to count carbs by bringing fake plastic food to give me a visual of what amount of food was what ever number of "exchanges" back then.

I'm actually feeling quite nostalgic about it all!

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed on bonfire night 17 years ago when I was 5.

I don't remember how I felt but I remember my mom taking me to my GP and he cancelled all of his appointments after seeing me so he could take me to A&E because my mom didn't have a car and there wasn't time for an ambulance to get to me.
I remember doctors putting me on a drip and I remember the nurse I had because I still have her!
I think I spent a week in there and my mom and dad took care of me after that.
I'm glad I don't remember it!

Indiana x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 6 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
32 years, felt ill and could have drank from a hosepipe as I was that thirsty. A quick urine check at the Dr's confirmed diabetes and I was admitted to hospital 3 days later, spent 5 days there and they wouldn't let me home until I could inject myself probably and test my urine for glucose.

Never celebrate it as it's not a happy event, perhaps when I get to 50 years of living with diabetes and qualify for my medal I might have a drink or two to mark the occasion;)

Reactions: 9 people

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
32 years, felt ill and could have drank from a hosepipe as I was that thirsty. A quick urine check at the Dr's confirmed diabetes and I was admitted to hospital 3 days later, spent 5 days there and they wouldn't let me home until I could inject myself probably and test my urine for glucose.

Never celebrate it as it's not a happy event, perhaps when I get to 50 years of living with diabetes and qualify for my medal I might have a drink or two to mark the occasion;)

I'm having a sort of anti-diabetes celebration. Celebrating the fact that I can still go running around the hills if I want to. And if i look back at last year, I'm in much better condition than I was then.

Seems I either got let off lightly or brooked no opposition, but I went to my GP on the Monday, blood tests on the Tuesday, phone call from the GP telling me to get to Addenbrookes ASAP (I picked my daughter up from ballet first) on the Wednesday, kept in overnight, left next afternoon, flew to Aberdeen next Sunday for a week's working away.

Reactions: 7 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I'm having a sort of anti-diabetes celebration. Celebrating the fact that I can still go running around the hills if I want to. And if i look back at last year, I'm in much better condition than I was then.

Seems I either got let off lightly or brooked no opposition, but I went to my GP on the Monday, blood tests on the Tuesday, phone call from the GP telling me to get to Addenbrookes ASAP (I picked my daughter up from ballet first) on the Wednesday, kept in overnight, left next afternoon, flew to Aberdeen next Sunday for a week's working away.

Not a bad idea to have your anti-diabetes celebration for the reason you have stated, you've done extremely well so far Dave :)

By far the negatives will always outweigh the positives when it comes to living with diabetes, but I always say if we didn't have diabetes would be too bothered about eating healthy, exercising everyday, getting bp and cholesterol levels checked........