Diagnosed 3 weeks ago... am i really diabetic?

Tomb2112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi,
i was diagnosed at the start of the month with type 1 diabetes, it came a real shock as no one in my family has it. when i got to hospital my sugar level was above 30mmol and my ketones were 4.4 :S anyway since coming out of hospital, i was put on novorapid and lantus solostar, 4 units of rapid before a meal and 8 units of lantus every 24 hours. after a couple of days my levels started to come down to around 10mmol. i had an appointment at the hospital where they upted my insulin by 1 unit. after this my levels started dropping to 3-5mmol which was a bit scary. i went back to the hospital and they lowered my units. i went back to the hospital the other day and they have stopped my novorapid which means i am not having insulin with my meals, just my slow releasing one once a day. since this, i have had the odd chocolate bar etc and my sugar levels haven't hardly risen. i just think in the back of my mind.... am i really diabetic? what do you guys think? (im new to this site so im a bit confused on how it all works! lol)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hi,
i was diagnosed at the start of the month with type 1 diabetes, it came a real shock as no one in my family has it. when i got to hospital my sugar level was above 30mmol and my ketones were 4.4 :S anyway since coming out of hospital, i was put on novorapid and lantus solostar, 4 units of rapid before a meal and 8 units of lantus every 24 hours. after a couple of days my levels started to come down to around 10mmol. i had an appointment at the hospital where they upted my insulin by 1 unit. after this my levels started dropping to 3-5mmol which was a bit scary. i went back to the hospital and they lowered my units. i went back to the hospital the other day and they have stopped my novorapid which means i am not having insulin with my meals, just my slow releasing one once a day. since this, i have had the odd chocolate bar etc and my sugar levels haven't hardly risen. i just think in the back of my mind.... am i really diabetic? what do you guys think? (im new to this site so im a bit confused on how it all works! lol)

I'm not a T1, so have absolutely no expertise in this, but it could be useful to have a Goggle on "Honeymoon Period". That might help a little.

Good luck with it all.

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
While it would certainly seem like you're in the honeymoon period...it doesn't last forever...keep a close check on your sugars and make contact with your diabetes team once you start to see them rising again. It could be a while yet but be careful not to be too complacent in the mean time.