Diagnosed almost 2 years ago in remission but still worried

TheThorne

Hi all, I'm a long time lurker

I will start by saying that I wasn't in denial, in fact I was too accepting and I have worked hard to change things but still not sure if I ever had Type 2.

I had a random test as part of a work visit by the NHS, after initially saying my tests were fine, the second nurse said out of the blue, that I had Diabetes. I wasn't surprised if I had been Pre but this was a shock. She said my reading was 50mmo1/mol so I had it and that was it. I had just come back from a wild weekend of over eating and drinking, don't know how many Cranberry cocktails I had and I had a chocolate bar an hour before the test but she said none of that matters the test goes over your last 3 months. I was no convinced.

But anyway I went to see my doctor but instead of giving me a 2nd test, i didn't know that was the thing they should have done, they booked me on eye tests, allsorts and I was just swept along. Well I though ok I will fight this thing, I lost 13 lbs before my next test 6 months later and it was 39mmol/mol and I had another test a year later and still 39mmol/mol and I had lost almost 2 stone by this point, just by eating smaller portions, and less snacking of cakes and chocolate at work and a bit more walking. So I said can you remove that first reading as I maybe never had it but she said no and said I was in remission, ok fine.

So anyway I have kept the same weight and I must add I had no symptoms when diagnosed apart from maybe going to the toilet slightly more than normal but normal for me wasn't normal for most, I probably only go about 5 times a day, 2 twice at night but now back to 4 and sometimes not at night. But again is that just because I am drinking less alcohol and eating less food in general.

But anyway I still can't get it out of my head, I feel like a hypochondraic as I have had a sore foot the last few weeks but it cant be diabetic related can it? This website, 'diabetes org uk' even says that 48mmol/mol is considered remission, so I was only jsut in the Diabetes zone, and then for a year at most.

So yes good things,lost 2 stone, eat better etc but why can't I get this diagnosis out of my head. I don't want to go down the route of getting blood monitoring as I think that feeds hypochondria even more. Many here seem to overreact at the slightest blip and I don't want to be one of those people. Don't know what I want just had to vent this to somebody hehe

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am a type two in remission, but I am very careful about what I eat as my meter told me that I can't tolerate high carb foods at all - I think that I was carb intolerant all my adult life but was unlucky in having doctors who just laughed at the idea.
A level of 48 is full diabetes - not in remission, so there must be a mistake if it says that on the site.
I can only just get down to the top edge of normal, 42, by being really strict - I don't regard having a meter to check that I am not spiking after meals as hypochondriac, and I go for my eye checks and foot checks and whatever checks I can get from the surgery, and when my foot was sore I got the first ordinary appointment available at the surgery - result was antibiotics and a stern warning to get an emergency appointment if it happened again.
You were probably diagnosed far earlier in your progress than I was, and you have done well without having to take extreme measures, but I could not in all honesty advise that you try to pretend that you don't need to be careful.

Route 66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Understand your worry completely, but isn't it always better to know, then you don't worry so much You just start to deal with it. Maybe just one finger prick at your pharmacy to see what you BG is? Maybe that would put your mind at rest.

Reactions: Evie-D

TheThorne

Understand your worry completely, but isn't it always better to know, then you don't worry so much You just start to deal with it. Maybe just one finger prick at your pharmacy to see what you BG is? Maybe that would put your mind at rest.

I had thought about a pharmacy test as my next Doctor test isnt until October

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I believe that the pharmacies chare quite a bit for the test - £5 perhaps - for under £40 I got a meter and test kit, plus 150 test strips which will keep me supplied for quite a long time and I can test whenever I like. That is particularly relevant for my second meal as I often do not eat until quite late in the day so at the two hour mark there would be few chemists open.

Reactions: HSSS

Christina0308

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just over two years since my diagnosis with the same blood results 50/48, I opted for a three month period for diet change to which I had a good read through this site, peoples experiences and their journeys and decided on LCHF way of doing it. Three months later and two stone lighter, A1c down to 37. I still check my levels but not as intense as in the learning period.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There are various definitions of "remission". It depends what and where you read it. An HbA1c of 48 is not remission.
Normal is under 42. Anything over that, in my opinion, cannot be remission.
Anyhow, yours is 37, so that is normal, and well done for achieving that.
You were 50, which was diabetic.
The HbA1c is a sort of average over the previous 2 to 3 months, but like with all averages, it does not tell the whole story. It does not pick up unacceptable spikes post meal if you also have a lot of lowish numbers to compensate. It is these spikes that can cause damage over a period of time. You would be well advised to buy a meter and keep an eye on what happens to your blood sugar levels after eating. It is best to know so you have the opportunity of tweaking things.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a 49 in Dec 2014. Owing to dietary changes, 3 months later it was 43. So I was never actually classed as diabetic. In truth I had T2 diabetes but on a formal footing only classed with Prediabetes.

Some have said the 49 might have been a rogue reading but others disagree. I am pretty certain owing to the accompanying classic symptoms.

Last edited: