Diagnosed with diabetes and 12 weeks preg !!!

Gauri

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi All

I feel very sad today . I have being recently visiting my midwife for my blood tests and she said I have sugar in my urine .After some examnination it turns out to be that I am diabetic .Had I known before in hand I would have kept a strong check.Anyways I am already on 1000 metformin due to my PCOS.Has anyone being in the similar situation.What does the doctor generally does in this condition .Ask you to go on insulin pump? How can I keep check of my sugars .I measure once in morning and once in night after I have had my food .The last Question .Can I lead a normal life with diabetes.Will my baby be safe etc I am really worried .What all can I do apart form medicines etc specially in preg to keep an eye .and what needs to be done after that ?

Regards

Gauri

C

catherinecherub

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I cannot answer your questions but will bump your post up in the hope that someone who has had a similar experience can help.

abs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You would not get placed on a pump they will get you to monitor your levels and should start you on insulin and you will need to check your bg levels a hour after eating. Tight control is needed which is hard but important you will be monitored throughout pregnancy and given support by the team you have.

abundant_lyfe

First of all, congratulations on your pregnancy.

I am diabetic, T2, as well as PCOS, and have now had two pregnancies, both healthy boys under 8lb.

Don't panic. Its not the always easiest thing to do, but it is possible to manage your sugars during pregnancy and lead a normal life.

Your midwife should now refer you directly to the hospital diabetic team. You will be seen regularly, for me it was every two or three weeks, and have your weight, blood pressure and urine each time.

You will need to increase your checks. I had to check first thing in the morning, then before and after each meal. 1hr after eating usually. Then also before bed. Additionally, if they put you on insulin, before driving.

How are your levels?

In pregnancy sugar levels are tightly controlled. They usually recommend a resting level of between 4 and 5.3. After a meal it should be around 7.

I was put on insulin for both babies. Its a pain but not too bad. I took metformin too.

You should be aware though that you will most likely have to have a hospital birth, and be induced at around the 38 weeks. I was induced at 39 with the first, ands 40+5 with the second. I really pushed though.

It is worth reading the nice guidelines to see what they recommend.

You will also need many more scans, especially near the end, to ensure that baby is growing fine and that there are no problems.

Good luck. :smile:

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Gauri

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi

Thanks all for the support .I visited my midwife today and she has asked me to put on with 2000 metformin .and yes keep a a very strng check on my diabetes.Testing about 4-5 times a day .I hope this would go with or after preganancy .Can anyone guide me regarding the diet they took in pregnancy ?
It would be of great help .She asked me to for low GI diet ..I am quite confused.I am a veg and it provides for so less of options for vegan food .

Please share in case anyone has a similar experience with diabetes