Diagnosis Stories?

cure_diabetes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I don't like brussel sprouts or people who make me feel weird for having Diabetes. For example when they say: "Eww, how do you do that its horrible"
Hello, I'm Sarah. I'm 13 and was wondering if this could start off a conversation of our different experiences with being diagnosed with Diabetes! Feel free to comment or message me if you are interested in mine :) x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm 30 now and was diagnosed when I was 15.......

looking back I can remember being really tired all the time and thirsty, going to the toilet and emptying what felt like litres, then immediately getting thirsty again, downing litres of water, milk, anything really.......

at the time though I didn't really think anything was up..........my parents knew what was going on though as my younger brother, who was 14 months younger than me was diagnosed at 2 years old.

My parent took me to hospital and they done some tests and it was confirmed, although I never actually heard the word 'you are type 1 diabetic' from the doctors or my parents.........

I went through al the phases as clear as day...........denial, anger, sadness........

was kept in for a week and then let out into the big bad world..........

control wasn't the best for most of my teens and early twenties, due to being on a mixed insulin and just lifestyle choices........

now on the pump I have the tools to get good control most of the time....

I think even back then the diagnosis wasn't as bad as it would of been for my brother back in the 80s.......

Reactions: 4 people

daisydewdrop

hi! I'm 12 years old and got diagnosed in May 2013. It was horrible! i just got iller and iller and iller. So my Nanna took me to the doctors and they said i had tonsillitis. they gave me some antibiotics which i threw up (was sick). my mum took me back to the doctors about a week later to see my actual doctor. he took my blood and said there and then that i had type 1 diabetes. he told my mum to take me straight to the hospital. this was a wednesday and i stayed for the night with my dad. they checked my blood every hour and put me on the drip. i didnt really know what was going until i had my first injection, i realized that i had to have injections for the rest of my life. i was quite scared that the food was going to be horrible, but it turned out it was really nice. i got to go home the thursday night.

it seems quite scary looking back at it, but now i just do my injections with out a doubt!
What was your diagnosis like?? i would really like to know!! :)

Reactions: 6 people

cure_diabetes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I don't like brussel sprouts or people who make me feel weird for having Diabetes. For example when they say: "Eww, how do you do that its horrible"
Oh wow!! That sounds awful! Glad you are okay :) Heres my diagnosis...
I was feeling ill when we went on a family holiday to Paris, constantly drinking water and needing the loo so we thought I might have just caught a bug! When we got home I became gradually worse, only being able to go to school in the mornings before being to exhausted and having to go home. I also was extremely thin. We went to the doctors 3 times with all the symptoms but they were obviously rubbish and before we knew it I was rushed into hospital early one morning not being able to breath and was diagnosed as soon as I was inside the ambulance! That was in May 2011 so I'm all good now ;) Message me if you want! X

saramaz75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The first sign I had that anything was wrong was when I found a lump in my back, it turned out that it was an infection under the skin, antibiotics didnt touch it so I had it lanced, It came back within days and I had to have an op under general anaesthetic to clean the infected tissue away. After I recovered from that I ended up getting a severe kidney infection that again had me hospitalised. That was when they started doing further tests and found I was diabetic. The kidney infection took 3 months to fully go, and I was in lots of pain. It was a bit of a nightmare time really. I had also lost about 6 stone in weight in 6 months without trying which should have alerted me to something, but I was enjoying being slim-ish. Im really proud of the fact that I still managed to pass my open uni exams in the middle of being so ill though. :) x

cure_diabetes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Wow that sounds horrible! Glad you are okay and well done :) x

saramaz75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes it was horrible at the time. And diabetes was the last thing I thought was the cause as theres no family history of it or anything. 2 years later I feel fitter and healthier than ever though so its all turned out good in the end. X

Danny Prince

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
My Likes
Was odd tbh, Was peeing every 20 mins at college, thirsty 24/7 and my friend who is type 1 was like I bet you're diabetic, So I took a day off to go to doctors and I was pretty much diagnosed on the spot, no family history of it what so ever. Also I was above 30 at the time in my readings, The main things annoying me were the peeing and blurred eye sight :)

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was diagnosed a week after my first birthday. I was told by my parents that I was drinking more than usual and I was being sick a lot. I was taken to the local doctors who said I needed to go immediately to hospital, I was diagnosed almost straight away and my parents had to learn how to do all the testing stuff. I'm 17 now and still going strong!

Reactions: 6 people

leighrickards

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes unawareness
Hi I am 31 I was diagnosed a year ago today on March 8 2013.

I went to the doctors for a scuba diving medical and was diagnosed diabetic instead!

Originally they thought I was T2 but turns out I'm T1. Blood sugars of 33 mmhg on diagnosis and a HBA1C if 155 which was off the charts.

I was a serving member if the armed forces, it therefore ended my career meaning new job, house, schools for the kids.

Now happy in a new job house etc and I have so much support from my very excellent wife the transition was easier with her by my side.

Miss90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I was diagnosed at 11 and I'm 23 now. My mums a pharmacist so she recognised the symptoms and took me to the GP who checked my blood sugar and it was 48!!!! Was rushed to hospital as I had DKA and was in for a week, now I'm ok touch wood apart from one severe hypo (fitting and unconscious in bed) and an episode of DKA. Could be worse, that's how I look at it!

kewgirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have no recollection of diagnosis but I know I scared my family to death!

Had mumps after my 4th birthday and then on June 6th 1970 I started drinking copious amounts of fluids – mum told me she even found me with my head under the tap – I was duly “told off”! :eek:

That night I wet my bed and my mum put this down to my “naughtiness” for drinking so much! During the following day mum found me in the pantry (do houses still have pantry’s?!) as near as possible to the sugar bowl shuffling sugar into my mouth – I was duly reprimanded and in my mums own words “I though you were just attention seeking”. :eek::eek:
Following morning June 8th 1970 found unconscious in me bed with diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA). :wideyed:

My only recollection of that time was being kept in hospital an inordinately long time and there are photographs in the family album of my being “allowed” away from the hospital to spend time with my family – clearly sporting my huge hospital ID bracelet!!

My mum mentions she occasionally still feels enormous guilt that she told me off when in fact I was very sick but I’m still here and I love my mum.

Just hope I can get to 50 years on insulin - only another 6 years to go - so I can claim my medal!!

Txx

DiaBethic95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello I'm 19, I got diagnosed with type 1 diabetes last year.
It's kind of a funny story really, I was really ill for a couple of weeks, really tired and weeing all the time, constantly thirsty! I just thought it was a big or something so I didn't take any notice of it, then I started to lose weight quite rapidly!
I mentioned it to my boyfriends dad (who is type 1 diabetic) and he said as a joke to a blood test on his machine for a laugh... Well I hate needles and any kind of pain so it took a long time for me to finally do it, so the reading came up as 30.5 and he thought it wasn't right, like I had sugar on my fingers or something. So he tried to make me do it again, but by then I was panicking and didn't really want to be pricked again haha so I was refusing to do it again. Well my boyfriends mum (who is a diabetic nurse) comes home and sees all this going on and sends everyone out so she can calm me down and do the blood test again... Obviously it comes up as 30.5 again so we are pretty certain by then that I have diabetes!
The next day I go to my local doctors to tell them I have diabetes and that I need to see a doctor straight away, but the snobby little receptionist was just saying to me about how no one can see me because it's not urgent (which was obviously a crock of ****) so I insist to her I need to see a doctor but she's not having any of it, so all she does is take my name and number and said she will speak to a doctor when one is free and see what they think. Well about 2 minutes after getting home I get a call from the doctors saying I have to come in straight away! Which I already knew !!!!!! So then I was sent to the hospital and what not and spent a joyful day there being poked and prodded..
But the funniest thing in all of this is that I live with a person with diabetes and a diabetic nurse and neither of them noticed that I had diabetes haha they just thought I was being lazy by staying in bed all the time!

Luckily I have now changed doctors so no longer have to put up with the incompetent receptionists that think they know everything!
And I am very well looked after by my boyfriends mum and dad :)

scott123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed at 17 but was told I had diabetes for at least 10 years prior to being diagnosed. I have type 1 and on the highly concentrated insulin humilin R-500.. I have a lot of problems because I was so late at being diagnosed. I have retinalpathy, neuropathy of legs, hands, feet and stomach.. I struggle daily with all of this.. I'm 23 years old now and still coming to terms with the fact I have diabetes,

Feel free to message me if you would like to have a chat

Scott

Kailz96

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed with type 1 in 2010. Basically the same as everyone else was feeling sick a lot. Started around June and my day would be getting home from school around 4 and sleeping til 9/10 waking up maybe having something to eat then sleeping again. As well as drinking a lot i would drink a 1.5L bottle of water then still be thirsty, have another then would constantly have to urinate. Went to the doctors at the start of October and had a glucose test, the meter read HIGH so i think it was too high for the meter to read. Went back the next day and was 35.7 so had to go to hospital and was in for a week. Almost four years ago now and i think having diabetes is just natural and do not give it a second thought. Was strange for me as no one in my family has diabetes and is no family history of it.

Danaemac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People who think they know what you need before you do
Hi I'm 33 and I was 15 when I was diagnosed, I went 2yrs and 21 separate blood tests I was going to school part time as I didn't have the energy for anything else I was dragged out of school no idea what was going on taken to the hospital where I was told I had diabetes left sitting around all day scared out of my wits waiting to see a consultant given some insulin then sent home to wait on the diabetes nurse who would show me what I needed 2 do never were the words are you ok ever mentioned

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed last February, on the 24th. I was visiting my pediatrician for my normal visit, as I have hypothyroidism, and she asked me how often I was using the bathroom, drinking water, etc. I told her, and I guess she thought it was a lot, because she tested my blood, which was over 500mg. She told my dad, which was there with me, and talked for a few minutes, and she said I needed to go to the hospital as soon as I could. This was a Monday, at about noon, and I have two younger siblings, so there was a lot of confusion. We ended up letting my little brother and sister sleep over my grandma and grandpa's house that night. The next morning, I had breakfast, which was the last time I ate a meal without taking insulin, and we left for the hospital at 7am.
I stayed two, long, agonizing, overwhelming days, and I was allowed to go home! :)

EwokBishop

I was 11, no major symptoms but I'd always drank alot, my parents just put it down to me being a Diet Coke addict!

My father was diabetic and has urine analysis sticks in the bathroom, my brother and I were always nicking them! Then one day I did one and it changed colour, ran to my mum and dhe took me straight yo my GP who diagnosed Type 1.

2 years ago I found out I'm MODY/Genetic diabetic.