Diamicron mr. Advice please!!!

goanna

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
working too hard!! Ungratefulness
Hi, A friend of mine was prescibed Diamicron this morning to take along with her metformin as her morning BGs were not that great (between 9 -10). Her doctor however told her to take it at night before she goes to bed as the doctor was not happy with her morning readings and wants to bring them down. (Her day time readings are OK). We are a little confused as all our reading has said that it should be taken of a morning and I am concerned that she may have a hypo in her sleep!!! I explained the dawn dump from the liver and told her to test through the night before she starts to take the medication so that she has more of an idea of what her body is doing. Do you think this is the right advice? She also said that she does not have a lot of faith in her doctor and is not sure she knows what she is doing. Please respond if you have any other ideas or if you think it ok.
Thanks in advance.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi goanna.

Diamicron MR (Gliclazide) is as you say normally prescribed for daytime ingestion. However, it is quite possible that the GP may be trying something out to resolve the early morning Bg level problem. Prescribing is sometimes not an exact science.

As for a hypo in her sleep...as a T2 she would normally drop low and then Liver Dump so bringing the levels back up to normal levels. So there should be no problem there. It is usually T1's who have to be more careful about hypo's unless she is on other hypo inducing medication ? Insulin/Byetta/ Victoza ?

A reason for high morning Bg levels could just be what your friend ate/drank before bedtime the previous night as well ?

I think your friend should talk to the GP and clarify this doseage regime and the reasoning behind the unusual timing.