1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Did any of you type 1s have a virus before you got diabetes?

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Catsymoo, Nov 5, 2012.

1. jazzyone

jazzyone Type 1 · Member

I got really bad mumps on boxing day when I was 10,by April I was diagnosed as type 1, my dad also had type 1 from his teens, that was 44years ago

2. Liftupjoe

Liftupjoe Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi yes in 1983 I got chicken pox then month later type 1 diabetes, I got told that my immune system attacked my pancreas, but who knows ????

3. No66

No66 · Active Member

I had appendicitis at 13 a constant aching stomach for 2 years Chicken Pox then a couple months later Type 1 diabetes.From 12 to 15 loads of skin,cut infections numerous flu type illnesses.

4. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

I had a high white blood cell count found when I went as a drug test volunteer. I also had a slight dull ache in my abdomen. Within the year I was diagnosed with (wrongly) T2. I suspect a virus and I know I'm actually LADA but the NHS won't accept that but at least I have the right treatment finally.

5. Littleborrower

Littleborrower Type 1 · Newbie

Hello I had whooping cough at aged 5 before I ended up with having diabetes but my doctor said I was jealous of my sister being at home snd I had to go to school so he said I was putting things on (at 5 ) my mum new I was very ill it took 10 mths to find out 52 yrs ago what was wrong with me and my mum found the symptoms in her nursing book took me back to the doctors he refused to send me to hospital even with a urine sample of 2 % so mum and dad put me into the car snd got me to the hospital them selves the consultant said the next 48 hrs would be critical for me to live or die I made it but always had complications with my diabetes and I have never had many symptoms that am having a hypo in the 52 yrs I have had it we think part of my brain switches of when it shouldn’t do S J Moore .

6. pamod

pamod Type 1 · Newbie

Yes I got a virus a really bad flu which the doctors say attacked my pancreas and killed off my islet cells. Prior to that virus, which knocked me out for 3 weeks, I had a routine bypass blood test and my blood sugars were fine.
    Anyway I now do not produce any insulin at all and have been type 1 for 30 years

#146 pamod, Dec 31, 2020 at 9:12 AM
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2021
  7. marionlonsdale

marionlonsdale Type 1 · Newbie

Hi all
    This is the first time I’ve posted as most of the time I’ve not felt a part of this community as my type 1 diabetes didn’t materialise until I was 54. It followed an awful virus that I couldn’t shake off and during a very stressful period both at work and at home. I didn’t have a rash but was so totally exhausted all the time, lost lots of weight, had a terrific thirst and my eyesight just ‘went’ whilst driving on the motorway - couldn’t even see the huge road signs! So frightening. I found it very difficult to come to terms with this dramatic change in my life and felt very alone in handling it. However, 16 years later I feel quite able to manage my condition and even at the age of 70 go cycling and walking for exercise. I have to admit though that I am terrified of getting COVID-19 as I fear any virus now and that one especially. Have been staying home since the start of the pandemic. Looking forward to the ‘jab’!

8. videoman

videoman Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Yes, I did ,it started with a sore throat which the doctor said it was tonsilites ,but then after a recovery ? I started losing weight and body mass then it hit me when I went to the hospital to see why I was losing weight

9. Wanderer89

Wanderer89 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I was ill for weeks, went to GP they said it was a virus & to get plenty of rest. I was a teenager at the time and my mother kept me in bed & gave me plenty of Lucozade to drink. After plenty of lucozade it tipped me over the edge and had to be rushed to hospital. Blood sugars was 28 in the ambulance but it must of been like that for a while turns out it wasn’t a virus after all it was type 1 diabetes, what triggered it though? Who knows.

#149 Wanderer89, Apr 2, 2021 at 10:45 AM
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
  10. cassie091

cassie091 Type 1 · Active Member

I became a type 1 diabetic after having Asian flu in December 1958.
    My mother insisted I got it as a result of flu. The consultant said it wasn't the cause but \i know it was.
    My grandmother died of it in 1924. She became diabetic after contracting flu.
    There is a genetic factor which was triggered by influenza.

11. NicoleC1971

NicoleC1971 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

This is self selecting for people who did so I am chipping in to say NO though even in 1980 my parents were questioned re did I have a virus or was I stressed? We had just moved but I don't remember being distressed.
    In my adult group of fellow type 1s I am in the minority having been diagnosed as a kid. I know quite a few who got to type 1 via autoimmune route (illness or coeliac disease) as adults.

12. Rhys.

Rhys. Type 1 · Active Member

Hello,

I had a reoccurring mouth infection that was on and off, every month starting around 6 months before diagnosis. Not sure if this was linked, as we still don't know the " Real " cause sadly.

One interesting question I would always ask people, is whether they went through a traumatic event prior to diagnosis. General consensus, especially in adults, is that they went through something emotionally harsh that could be another contributor to Type 1 diabetes, or a type 1 variant in adults.

An interesting one, is those who had covid recently over the last year, without realising and are now type 1 diabetic... I'm sure more data will be passed through over the next few years.

Joys of the disease and it's unanswered reasons as to " How " and " Why ".

• Like Like x 1
  13. kvetiny

kvetiny Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I had a chest infection then soon after got type 1 diabetes.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook