Did I eat something to cause an allergic reaction?

fiona35

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I know that this might be a little off topic but yesterday I had an egg sarnie for my lunch - very nice too around 1.30pm and then at 3.30pm a colleague had a birthday cake bought in so I pinched a tiny piece of the icing off the cake - I know I shouldn't have but I did refuse an actual piece of the cake! :lol:

Anyway around 3.45pm I noticed my hands and arms were really itchy, and my face felt flaming hot at which point my work colleagues looked at me in concern as I looked like a boiled lobster from the chest upwards and the itchy feeling was spreading to my whole body along with my heart racing. As I didn't complain of any chest pain or swelling in the mouth/lips I took a piriton to ease the itching, this did eventually help and then we notcied hives appearing all over my body but by around 6.30pm they had all gone down leaving me with the heart beating rather fast. This then tapered off by the time I went to bed. My sugars when I got home before eating my tea were 5.2.

I've never had anything like this before and I'm not sure if it was the egg sarnie I had that caused this, or if I had a sugar rush from the thumbnail piece of icing I had pinched, but I am terrified that it might occur again and be worse the next time around. Would you just leave it be and see if it ever occurs again or would you go to your GP and ask to see an allergist, I don't want to cause too much fuss and be an annoying patient. :?

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Did you make the sandwich yourself or was it bought? Have you ever had a reaction like this before? You really need to discuss this with your doctor.

ChocFish

Definitely see your doctor about this, you might not even have been allergic to what you have eaten, I once had a reaction similar to what you describe, I couldnt work out what the hell it was, anyway it went away again quick enough, a few days later it happened again, well I did get it checked eventually as it kept happening again and again, then I realised that there was a pattern to it, it turned out that each time I was in close proximity of one of our temporary workers it happened and the reason for it was the perfume that she was wearing. Luckily she is a really lovely person and from then on she wore a different perfume whenever she came working for us.

Discuss with your doctor, some allergic reactions can be very serious, see what the advice is.

All the best

Karen

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Well Fiona, it sounds like you have a terrible affliction that is common to many diabetics and is called CRABOS - Can't Resist A Bit Of Sugar!

Seriously, I think Karen is right and it sounds very like an allergy. Was the icing coloured? Allergic reactions to edible dyes are quite common. Although the symptoms passed quite quickly I would still arrange to see your doctor to get an allergy test done.

jenrose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
very cold and very hot weather
It seems you have had an allergic reaction. Some people become allergic to eggs so I would see your doctor and there is a prick test to determine this possibility. By coincidence I was looking at egg allergy and people can be allergic to egg white or egg yolk and it would be safer to do this than to eat egg again to find out. I developed massive hives which migrated all over my body in the space of 2 days from taking penilicin and the doctor said I must not take it again. My mum won't have a flu jab because eggs are used in the manufacture of the vaccine and I was wondering if the pneumonia vaccination was manufactured using eggs as well. She asked the nurse yesterday when she saw her for a blood test and the nurse did not know and told her to ask the doctor.

fiona35

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
It was a pot of store bought reduced fat egg mayo, have eaten it before with no problems, but I've never had the reaction before.

Thanks for all your advice, I will go and mention it to my GP, even if they think I am a worry wort as I certainly would not want it to occur again!! It actually frightened me and my work colleagues when it was at its worst and having the firms first aider come and visit you wasn't a pleasant experience - not that she wasn't a nice lady but it soon goes around at work that so and so had the first aider and before you know it, everyone is really nosey as to whats going on!!