Did I just hypo?

Diabetic Al

I'm sure I just had a hypo, but my bg is holding at 7mmol.
It's cold here. The lab is holding at 11 degrees.
I had to go and shift some heavy packages outside just before my lunch and right after I'd finished doing that I felt really light headed, then like something was draining and I almost passed out.
But when I checked my blood it was at 7.1mmol.
I've heard that if you go too low another part of your body can dump some sugar. Is that maybe what happened?
Or am I just over reacting?

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
I get fake hypo's at times and don't think your liver would have dumped and changed from hypo BG levels to 7 that quickly? if you were shifting packages, were you bending over and then going upright a lot? Could be that plus the cold? hard to tell, but if you are at 7.1 now then keep an eye on that and try not to worry :)

Diabetic Al

I'm thinking it was the cold myself.
Not so much bending and lifting as pushing as shoving.
Unfortunently I couldn't convince the guy I was with that it wasn't a hypo. Even after testing and getting 7.

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
Ah, just had a thought, is your meter ok? is that too cold? Were your hands clean? Might be worth giving it a tester strip to check it's working ok :?

Diabetic Al

It was working fine this morning and I don't have any tester strips.
I didn't wash my hands the first time, but did 20 min later and got more or less the same score.
This may be because I was taken off my meds on Monday and my Bg is playing silly buggers.
Still don't know what type I am. Find out on the 25th.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Diabetic Al said:
I'm sure I just had a hypo, but my bg is holding at 7mmol.
It's cold here. The lab is holding at 11 degrees.
I had to go and shift some heavy packages outside just before my lunch and right after I'd finished doing that I felt really light headed, then like something was draining and I almost passed out.
But when I checked my blood it was at 7.1mmol.
I've heard that if you go too low another part of your body can dump some sugar. Is that maybe what happened?
Or am I just over reacting?

Al.
Whilst it may be that it was a false hypo, I presume you have no idea what your prior Bg levels were ? Without knowing them you wouldn't really know.

Not everything is down to the Diabetes. We are not allowed to diagnose. This is all from my own life experience.

If you had been doing something strenuous and then afterwards you felt light headed, and nearly passed out, I would look into this. From the symptoms you quote and my own experience what you have described is possibly Hypotension ? Low blood pressure.

This is when your blood pressure drops too low. I had exactly the same thing happen to me some years ago because my blood pressure meds were too high. It was cured after I reduced the Meds. I
actualy did pass out and was found in a heap on the stairs. I remember the light headedness and then just blackness as I passed out.

My advice to you is to get your BP checked out and relate the facts to your GP asap.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya,
a false hypo is when you have every symptom of an hypo but your bs is over 4mmol, this is usual if u are used to running at high numbers :D

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
ZACNEMMA said:
What is a false hypo????

Emma

Hi emma. Totsy. I was right behind ya ! :D
A 'False Hypo' comes about because you may have been running high Bg levels for a while. Any drop in Bg levels can make your body think that you are dropping too low because it is used to higher levels.

Consequently you start to get the symptoms of a real hypo at a higher level.
Example. Normal higher Bg .........12 mmol/l.
Drop in Bg to say 6-7 mmol/l.
Body says .............too low !!!
Body gives out warning signals..., sweating, shaking, faintness, paleness, headach, tingling lips, blurred vision etc etc. All symptoms of a real below 4 mmol/l hypoglycaemia event.
But you are not that low, hence a 'false' hypo.

The problem gets worse if you treat it like a real hypo as you start eating Gluco tabs like there is no tomorrow if you haven't checked your meter reading. So then you go too high and start a 'rollercoaster' effect ! So always check if you feel bad, never assume anything. Test !

Diabetic Al

Cug,

My Bg is usually 5-6 at lunchtime. So 7 is actually a little higher.
The further I get from it the more I think it was the cold.
If it happens again I will go and ask about Blood pressure. Although in the past I've been in the high side of normal. I get annual checks due to both parents and 3 grandparents having heart troube!!

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Hi Al.
What I really was getting at was possibly what they call Postural Hypotension, when the Bp drops when you stand up. It can be perfectly normal the rest of the time. So long as you are now aware that suits me...... :)