diet advice

abi1960

This is my first post and I wasn't sure where to post it.

My husband is type 2 and needs to lose around 3 stone in weight . He has just returned from his GP who wants him to lose it in 3 months and to only have 700 calories a day . is this normal advice ? I'm not sure he is supposed to work a long demanding day on so little ? I think its madness , but thought i had better run in past a few people first .
I have little faith in the GPs practice at the moment , everytime he goes the change his tablets , and I swear he has no idea what hes supposed to be taking

Also he saw the nurse a few weeks ago , who said he needed to drink more fruit juice :shock: when he mentioned they were high in sugar she replied get the no added sugar ones :roll:

bigben

Hi. I was diagnosed about a year ago, and was told i needed to lose weight. I was 6' and 21 stone, so no surprise there. But whilst my GP has never been that helpful in regard of weight loss, he did refer me to the Trust Dietician service who have been much more measured and sensible in their advice. Get a second opinion, as the first diet my GP put me on, made me feel abso awful because it wasnt giving me enough to survive on. I believe your body gets somewhat used to how you eat, and whilst we may suffer in the long term with chronic conditions such as diabetes, I can t see that we are doing the best thing to cut out all those calories staright off the line

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
I am not a doctor but like you I think a 700 calorie a day diet is madness.

I was told that loosing weight too quickly will see it back on just as quick. My instructions were to aim for approx 4 to 5lbs per month when loosing by diet.

I wonder if your GP was misheard from 1700 calories??

abi1960

i think they are clueless tbh , the nurse told him a few weeks ago to drink more fruit juice ! he said but its high in sugar and she said buy the ones with no added sugar :roll:

I'm so annoyed because I know he will try to do it ..........oh and apparently fruit is a no no because its high in calories

jaykay

There is a calorie counter on the web that you can input data onto and it will sort out how many calories you should have a day. I told it I was a 5'10'' man who wanted to lose 3 stone in 6 months and it told me to eat between 1500 and 1700 calories per day. If you want to do it properly just google 'how many calories do I need to lose weight' and it will take you to the web site so you can show your hubby ( sorry, I'm a bit confused about what links I can post here so I'm saying it this way ). As for the nurse....the first dn I saw told me I couldn't eat anything that had sugar in the first 5 ingredients but then that I had to eat plenty of fruit. So I asked her which she wanted me to do. Ooohh, she didn't half get a strop on :lol: Since then I always listen to what the professionals say but refuse to take it as gospel.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
JayKay.

If you are ever in any doubt about posting a link just ask a Monitor before doing so and we will tell you if it is OK or not. Most links are fine so long as it is Diabetes related, not another Forum, nor advertising and not a Blog.

We do use our discretion if it is considered useful and a direct answer........all depends on the link.
Hope that helps.......

cugila
Forum Monitor

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
:) Je vous en prie....... :D

ally5555

You need to get him back to the GP to clarify what he meant. I am a dietitian and tbh Doctors are pretty useless at dietary advice any way!

700 calories is far to restricted and even if it was 1700 calories it seems rather a random amount. Do not drink fruit juice - your blood sugars will go through the roof.

Ask for a referral to local dietetic dept asap!

shymandy

hi my name is mandy im a type2 diabetic and i dont kno wat i am allowed to eat or not to eat can any1 give me advice thank you

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Mandy :) I have just replied to your other post but to make sure you can find it, here again is the link to basic information on diet etc. which is given to newly diagnosed diabetics and was written by the forum monitors:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=17088#p155405

I hope this is helpful to you.

Another member - Viv - published her diet on here a little while ago. I'm sure she won't mind if I give you the link to it as it's very good. Here it is:

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=18803

I'm sure this will help you. I recommend you read the whole thread as there are some useful comments after the diet itself.