Diet after amputation

VIctoriaH

How on earth do I loose weight it is 4 months since my leg amputation and I have been virtually immobile since august last year, the weight gain is really getting me down. I also have an illieostomy which was done at the same time as the amp. I have no idea how to proceed, any advice or tips would be great x VictoriaHansom

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hope you are ok after your op. You can get some handweights, just use the top half of your body. As for diet most diabetics feel that going low carb seems to do the trick. You will find people on here very helpful and full of good advise.

Defren

Hi Victoria,

My personal experience, and also what I have read here, is that a low carb diet will help you loose weight anyway. If you cut down on stachy carbs, and increase the protein a bit, the weight does just seem to go anyway. I did no exercise initially, I do now, but even when I didn't I still lost. Give it a try and see how you get on. People here will help keep you focused and motivated. Good luck.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Victoria,
I don't think I know of anyone else here that has had an illeostomy and knows the constraints that may have on your diet.A quick google suggests that there may be problems with a high fat intake. I think that you should ask to be referred to a dietitian and also a physiotherapist to help suggest a practical exercise programme. (though I agree with the suggestion on hand weights and suggest you do a search on google for chair exercises)

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry Paul, I'm getting forgetful. I think about you more in terms of misdiagnosis.

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
phoenix said:
Sorry Paul, I'm getting forgetful. I think about you more in terms of misdiagnosis.
No problem! :wink: If the OP wants to share experiences or ask anything regarding that side of things then I'll do my best to help.

VIctoriaH

Thanks, I am at physio tomorrow, just getting sick of being passive I will also see if I can get a earlier apptmt with my consultant. Thank your will let you know if I have a better daytomorrow x my amputation was due to mis diagnosed carcot, same old same old. Good to read some positive outcomes on this forum, it gives much needed hope.